Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vegetarian Kibble With Your Own Meat

gsdlove
May 5th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Does anyone buy their own meat and just buy kibble that has veggies etc. in it? Wouldn't it be a little bit cheaper? I'm looking into different options but like the idea of feeding my own meat only.

Thanks! Marion

erykah1310
May 5th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I really dont see any reason to bother with the vegitarian kibble. They really dont need any veggies, but some are alright.
I recommend doing a search around here in the food section and checking up on some of the raw links. Very informative

Prin
May 5th, 2007, 01:35 PM
If you want to do that, there are powders you can buy to supplement raw with. Those would be more balanced (the powders designed to go with raw) than a veggie kibble with raw. Veggie kibble would just have so many supplements that the raw would just interfere with it and vice versa, IMO...

Besides, there really aren't many veggie foods that are high quality out there. :shrug:

technodoll
May 5th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Agreed with what erykah and prin said. you'd be better off adding your own fresh veggies and supplements to the meat (raw or cooked), rather than buying veggie kibble. At least this way you control the quality of the ingredients, too. Last time i checked, veggies and grains were cheap, so why is veggie kibble so expensive, too? :confused: ;)

Prin
May 5th, 2007, 01:40 PM
because if it was half the price of the meaty kibbles, we'd think it was low quality... :rolleyes:

technodoll
May 5th, 2007, 01:45 PM
http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/dept.asp?dept_id=1&brand_id=389

yeah, the vegetarian kibble is the SAME price as the meaty ones, that makes no sense???!!

rainbow
May 5th, 2007, 02:01 PM
It makes no sense at all. :rolleyes: I agree you may as well just do raw or home-cooked....properly balanced, of course. :)

SableCollie
May 5th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Yeah, veggie kibble is way overpriced, and a lot of them have really low-quality ingredients. Natural Balance isn't bad, but I don't trust their foods after the melamine contamination...

There are some food mixes where you just add the meat to make a homemade meal, like Dr. Harvey's http://www.drharveys.com/dogs/caninehealth.asp
It's probably cheapest to just buy all your own ingredients though. :)

gsdlove
May 5th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Well I looked at the BARF diet but I am not comfortable with that. Dr. Harvey's looks good but I'm sure has to be shipped from the states. To be quite honest, my dear german shepherd Pepper who we had for 11yrs was fed Purina Dog Chow. I was not as knowledgeable in dog nutrition. However, that being said, Pepper never was sick - never had to go to the vet for anything but her shots, her poop was normal, teeth good. The only thing I would say is that she shed alot. So I am having a hard time convincing my husband that we need to spend more money on dog food!!

Prin
May 5th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Older dogs can have a really hard time switching from commercial foods to holistic foods or raw... You have to be careful. They're just so used to the stool hardeners and digestive aids that they just have a harder time learning how to digest again.:o

technodoll
May 5th, 2007, 08:25 PM
now imagine how healthy and long-lived pepper could have been on a better diet :) not all dogs are "george burns", hence the need for improved diets and thumbs down for the junk food of the dog world :pawprint:

SableCollie
May 5th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Oh, I forgot that canada is an empty wasteland of nothingness (:p kidding). I'm sure there are similar products available in canada, I just picked dr. harvey's cuz I knew their website and didn't have to search. :)

pitgrrl
May 6th, 2007, 08:10 AM
You can get Essex Cottage Farms and Urban Wolf mixes in Ottawa, but they're expensive for a large dog. I think Wysong also has a supplement powder meant for adding to meat.

Prin
May 6th, 2007, 01:39 PM
There will be more and more powdery add-ons for raw feeders any minute now. With so many people switching to raw because of the recalls, the demand is definitely there.