Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My girls had a pretty bad fight

T&Csmom
May 5th, 2007, 08:23 AM
I always felt that my younger dog, Candy considered herself to be higher ranking than Tashy, the older dog. Both females. they would squabble once in away, but nothing serious or couln't be stopped.

Yesterday however there was a stray cat in our yard, and this upset them both. For some reason when Candy darts past Tashy in excitment, Tashy growls at her. This infuriated Candy who then pounced on Tashy and had her by the neck for nearly two minutes till we managed to break them apart. It was horrifying, and Tashy was quite helpless. Fortunately no injuries to either dog, but since last night I've had to keep Candy in the garage. This it totally stressing me out. They were both indoor dogs, and it breaks my heart to isolate Candy. My house is not in a position to be separated so they can stay in two sections or whatever, so only other option is getting a crate for Candy, but can an adult dog used to running freely about the house be confined to a crate for most of the day? What should I do??? Totally in despair here :sad:

clm
May 5th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Why did you have to keep her in the garage? Were they still not getting along after the incident?

Cindy

T&Csmom
May 5th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Yes, there's still a large risk of another fight erupting. Mostly Tashy minds her business, but Candy can't. Just this morning I let her in the house, and she immediately tried to have another go at Tashy. This problem has been there for sometime, but it has gotten worse since of late and yesterday's fight has made me think twice about keeping them together for their own safety.

badger
May 5th, 2007, 12:22 PM
There is a product called Feliway which I believe contains pheromones which has a calming effect on cats; I wonder if there is a similar product for dogs.
Tough situation. Are they rescues?

angeldogs
May 5th, 2007, 12:37 PM
i seen a calming spray at super pet for dogs.

rainbow
May 5th, 2007, 01:44 PM
How old are Candy and Tashy? Are they both spayed? When was the last time they had a vet checkup?

T&Csmom
May 5th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Yes, they are rescued mixed breed dogs. Tashy is 6 years old, sterilized and last saw the vet two weeks back. Candy is 2 1/2, waiting to get sterilized and last saw the vet in April. I've had them since puppies. It's weird, candy being junior to Tashy is still the dominant one.

Sadly, none of these products are available here (sri lanka), but I am willing to get one online if they are effective enough to prevent fights. I am even thinking about rehoming Candy, but finding a home for her might be tough, she' a very hyperactive dog with oodles of energy and tendency to get into trouble :sad:

angeldogs
May 5th, 2007, 10:45 PM
When my brother lived her he got a dog.and he would start on jag trying to be the dominate one but jag put him in place.we never had anything too serious.and after ben was nutured things calmed down alot.may the youngest not being fixed or trying to be pac leader between the two.

clm
May 5th, 2007, 10:54 PM
I'd get her spayed as soon as possible. You may find that that'll end a lot of the problems.

Cindy

rainbow
May 6th, 2007, 12:48 AM
I agree. The first step would be to get Candy spayed asap.

SnowDancer
May 6th, 2007, 11:58 AM
You may well have to keep them separated for life - when you are not home -and keep a very close eye on them when you are home. I have been through this - and it was totally unexpected. Happened just after puberty (both dogs had been neutered). One dog was the acknowledged leader (benevolent) and the other decided he wanted to take over - but more of a bully really. Decided to attack the Alpha by the back of the neck and wouldn't let go (examine your dog's neck carefully for puncture wounds - if punctured, please take to vet immediately). The problem with grabbing by the neck is as you pointed out, the dog being attacked can't break away - heck it was very hard for me to separate the dogs. My poor little Alpha once free was appalled and didn't want to retaliate. Well, until the second time that day and then he seriously warned off the little bully. So what happened after he was eventually forgiven - bully did it again. So we bought a playpen and the little bully was put in it and there was peace on earth. The bully knew that my Alpha would not try to attack through the play pen. Then my Alpha needed surgery and he had to go in playpen instead to keep quiet. Within 5 minutes the bully had him by the skin through the play pen. So positions were reversed and peace restored. Not a happy way to live. These dogs were mini Dachshunds. I hope you do not have to go through this, but I expect that you will.

SnowDancer
May 6th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Forgot to mention, that we tried various calming meds etc. to deal with the problem - including as a last resort Prozac. None worked. I was really happy when my friend who also had Dachshunds witnessed an attack as the little culprit always managed to look innocent.

T&Csmom
May 8th, 2007, 07:22 AM
I will be getting Candy spayed within the next few weeks, because of the health benefits that come from it. Maybe it will calm her down a bit too, but I've read otherwise online. It's supposed to work for males but not females according to a few articles I read online :confused:

SnowDancer, that is exactly how Candy had Tashy, and Tashy was totally unable to defend herself. I know how horrifying the whole experience is, with every second that you fail to separate the two you think the worst for both dogs. I thought Tashy would have serious injuries, but fortunately no puncture wounds. Tashy is fat, therefore literally thick-skinned and added to that she has a lot of fluff on her neck. So Candy managed to rip out fur, but not tear the skin :pray:
Yup, I've read online that separation is the only answer to cases like this. Until I get a large crate, I'm keep Candy with me for a few hours everyday, while Tashy is locked away in a room. It's amazing how Candy, as soon as she's taken in, makes a dash to where Tashy is, and stands patiently by th door in hope of being united with Tashy. At this point I'm clueless whether she does it because she misses Tashy or to have another go at her :rolleyes:

SnowDancer
May 8th, 2007, 12:44 PM
T&CsMom, I am glad you are going to separate your dogs. I know a couple of times I relaxed when all was going well - and then the little bully started again - nothing like an attack in the dark. My husband also made the mistake of approaching the innocent pup from behind without showing him it was Dad and of course he thought he was being attacked on all fronts and tried to bite him - and almost succeeded - at which point my husband freaked. Pup didn't calm down until he saw me. I have tried to make my husband understand that you can't try to grab a scared dog without showing him your face first. We lived liked this for 4 years - it was very difficult. We now have only one dog. A very narcissistic 3 year old American Eskimo. No way would I have 2 Eskimos and actually I don't think he would welcome a second dog into the house. He is not an alpha by any stretch - more of an in-between, but it is important to him to be loved. Hope things work out for you.

Matty
May 8th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Just a question. Isn't it true that a two pet household is generally more peaceful if both the dogs are of a different sex. T&C and Snowdancer's stories both have two dogs of the same sex. I wonder if this doesn't have something to do with their problems?

Scott_B
May 9th, 2007, 07:54 AM
They say it is true. Usually when you get two dogs its advised that you get a m/f. Same sex they will usually battle more for that top spot. Of course there are exceptions. I know people that have two male bullies along witha female or a male bully and a mixed breed male. But they don't advise it.