Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Glucosamine Source

rainbow
May 5th, 2007, 01:10 AM
We've all heard by now that 90% of glucosamine comes from China. Does anyone know of any brands that do not import their glucosamine from there?

gypsy_girl
May 5th, 2007, 03:43 PM
I think the Canadian brands do not. Orijen, Acana, GO! does anybody feed anything else Canadian?
Like Firstmate?

rainbow
May 5th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Actually, I meant the glucosamine supplements themselves.

I'm not as concerned about the glucosamine/chondroitin that is added to the kibble as it would be just a minimal amount so it wouldn't make much difference.

hazelrunpack
May 5th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Is there a list somewhere of brands that do get their glucosamine from China? I had not heard this...and we give our dogs Cosequin DS...

rainbow
May 9th, 2007, 11:40 PM
I've been trying to find out brands that DO NOT get their glucosamine from China. I've emeailed Jamieson and Webber's but no answers yet.

hazelrunpack
May 10th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I called Nutramax a couple days ago and asked about the source of their glucosamine. She said she couldn't tell me because the information was "proprietary". !!!!!! She wouldn't even narrow it down to a country.

When pressed, she said they do get some ingredients from China (not from the implicated plant, however) but she didn't 'think' that the glucosamine came from there. She eventually told me that it came from either South America, Europe, or the Middle East. She could not even narrow it down to region for me, again because that was "proprietary".

I told her that as much as we spend on Cosequin DS each year, it would sure set our minds at ease if she could even narrow it down to region. But she claimed she couldn't.

I also told her that then perhaps we 'couldn't' use their brand anymore...

The only thing that made me feel any better about it at all was that although the FDA does not regulate supplements, she told me that Cosequin is manufactured using rigorous pharmaceutical procedures and all ingredients are tested for purity. (But I know that some of those tests can be misleading...and she couldn't tell me what testing they did...no, not cuz it was "proprietary" :rolleyes: but because she didn't know.)

It bothers me immensely that Nutramax is so secretive about their supply. She claimed that it's "proprietary information" because if it got out, everyone could get their glucosamine there. Ya? They already can! And maybe even do! And narrowing it down to a region would hardly send spies from the other manufacturers out scouring something the size of Europe, South America, or the Middle East for the source of Nutramax's glucosamine.

So now I'm not sure what to think... :shrug:

SuperWanda
May 10th, 2007, 09:08 AM
I called Orijen and posted it here:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=39930
"We do not use imported glucosamine in ORIJEN formulations, and instead use ocean source made from “chitin”, which is made from lobster and crab shells harvested on the East coast of Canada"

SuperWanda
May 10th, 2007, 09:11 AM
:sorry: you are not talking about glucosamine in kibble. I better put my glasses on!