Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Jag in trouble.

angeldogs
May 4th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Well today a buddy came to the house.and jag knows him.when he is here jag play's lap dog leans into him for petting.my buddy plays ball with him.

But as soon as he showed up today jag lunged at him and out right went at him and bit him right in the bicep.put his mouth around his arm:mad:
we are all shocked.thank god my buddy was wearing a leather suit jacket.

Jags teeth didn't puncture the jacket but took some skin off the arm under the jacket.we don't trust him know so he is going to be crated when we have company.

my friend has a dog.so now that i got the van we were going to take jag down there to play and they have a huge back yard.now that won't happen.

So not to take a chance were not going to the dog park or anywhere with out a mussle on him.if he is going to bite someone he know.he will bite anyone and my buddy was talking to him.i apologized and he was fine with that.which i'm glad.i would hate to see this ruin a 30year friendship.

jiorji
May 4th, 2007, 11:54 PM
good thing you have an understanding friend.:thumbs up

uhh... I really don't have any advice...maybe Jag was disoriented today?:o
Hope he gets back to normal :fingerscr

angeldogs
May 4th, 2007, 11:56 PM
We hope so.i was just getting it off my chest.thanks

jiorji
May 5th, 2007, 12:06 AM
yeah I understand :sad:
did your friend smell any different? or maybe he made a different move when Jag approached him?

rainbow
May 5th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Wow.....that sounds out of character for Jag. Wasn't he having some poop, etc. troubles recently? And, I think you said he had a vet appointment. Has he gone already? If not, I would make sure to tell your vet about this abnormal behaviour.

angeldogs
May 5th, 2007, 12:13 AM
He walked the same.didn't notice any smell.he was dressed nice.out looking for work now that he's finished school.i came home from work tonight and jag just put his head down and looked at me and when i didn't come in he started whining.i think he knew he did wrong.

angeldogs
May 5th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Rainbow i will.the poop problem stopped when i stopped feeding turkey.poops still good.were going to the vet for blood work.they thought i switched jag to raw after the recall.and to get his ear checked they are smelly.

hazelrunpack
May 5th, 2007, 12:22 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Jag acted that way today. :grouphug: Sometimes it's very hard to tease out what's causing the aggression. For sure ask the vet for advice--maybe it's just that he's not feeling well? :fingerscr

rainbow
May 5th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Yeah, for sure tell the vet cuz that's just not like Jag. :confused: Good luck and let us know. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

angeldogs
May 5th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Yeah, for sure tell the vet cuz that's just not like Jag. :confused: Good luck and let us know. :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

You can count on that.he's was sucking up to mommy all night well i was at work.

rainbow
May 5th, 2007, 12:44 AM
I just noticed you said your friend was "dressed nice" because he was out looking for work. Maybe Jag is used to jeans and a t-shirt? :shrug:

angeldogs
May 5th, 2007, 12:50 AM
I don't know if it's true.but someone at work said they've heard or watched that leather can do that to some dog.th leather can block the persons scent.don't know if that's true or not.

rainbow
May 5th, 2007, 12:58 AM
So, was your friend wearing leather?

angeldogs
May 5th, 2007, 01:00 AM
His jacket was leather.one that was dressy type

rainbow
May 5th, 2007, 01:05 AM
I don't know if what your co-worker heard/read is true or not but it's worth checking into.

angeldogs
May 5th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Yes that it is.it was another driver at a delivery.i will ask him when i see him next week if he can find out where he heard or seen the info.and i will look it up.

mastifflover
May 5th, 2007, 02:14 AM
You mentioned his ears smelled sounds like an infection, which may have caused the odd behaviour. They can be very painful and may have made him act out of character

rainbow
May 5th, 2007, 02:18 AM
That's right. I only remembered the poop problem but if his ear is infected and painful it could very well make him cranky too.

angeldogs
May 5th, 2007, 02:24 AM
thanks for that info.i will see what blood tests are being done.is there one for temperment.

chico2
May 5th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Angeldogs,not that it is any comparison,but my Rocky reacts to anything leather or suede,not violently,but he loves rubbing up to it and sleeping on it.
Gets very defensive if another cat approaches..
I would still think I painful ear might have causes this outburst.

Skryker
May 5th, 2007, 07:39 AM
:grouphug: That must have been quite the shock, indeed. Maybe it's the leather jacket, maybe because of his ear. Was your friend maybe wearing a different aftershave or cologne that might have masked his smell? Since he was dressed up for job hunting. Or-was he clean shaven where usually he might be scruffy? My dogs notice when my man gets rid of his winter fur-face. And even when they recognize my husband by smell and by voice, if he has his hood up, they don't like it and don't want him to come near me until the hood is down.

The little dog we had growing up refused to let my Dad in the house if he was wearing a hat-even when she knew it was him. Things we might not think of can startle a dog.

Good luck with poor Jag.

clm
May 5th, 2007, 08:05 AM
It would be wonderful if you could figure out what triggered it. Try to write down everything you can remember so you can review it. I've known dogs to do that when something was dangling from the persons neck or belt too. Not my dogs, but a friend who rescues rotties, happened with a couple of her dogs and totally out of character for them too.

Cindy

Skryker
May 5th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Wasn't Jag a rescue, angeldogs? I wonder if something about the jacket set off a bad memory for Jag.

angeldogs
May 5th, 2007, 08:35 AM
stryker we got jag from a friend who got deported.i didn't smell after shave or cologne on him.he's like me can't really wear it.maybe it was the jacket.my mechanic has and long hair akita and told me yesterday his dog attack a dog it knew.the owner put a bandana on their dog and his attacked.told the bandana off and it was like nothing happened.all my friend asked for was some polysporin.sat down and talked.he's my kids uncle and they love him to death.so i think 30 year friendship is safe over this.it's shocking to both of us.

angeldogs
May 5th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Just talked to my buddy his arm is swollen and a little sore and bruised.
he said jag had so much pressure in his jaw that he thought his whole arm was pooping off.he's not mad and his wife was quite shocked by the event.
her knowing the way jag was with him before.he still thinks it strange.jag went from sniffing hand to biting.it happened quick.

Hunter's_owner
May 5th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Oh wow, so sorry for this:grouphug:
I am thinking something either about the person triggered something in him, or else it may be something physical (like an ear infection) that may have caused him to be defensive. Hopefully the vet will be able to help:fingerscr

rainbow
May 5th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Could you get your friend's leather jacket and see how Jag reacts to it?

Prin
May 5th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Have you ever had his thyroid checked? I'd do that. Thyroid can cause dogs to be irritable on top of having loose stools and things... :grouphug:

rainbow
May 5th, 2007, 01:54 PM
For some reason I thought Jag had his thyroid checked cuz of the ear infections. :shrug: But, it could very well be my memory failing again. :o I agree though that hypothyroidism can cause ear infections and irritability so it should be checked if it hasn't been already. :)

Frenchy
May 5th, 2007, 04:24 PM
First thing I tought when I read your post was ; leather jacket , or he's just not feeling good, something is bothering him.

angeldogs
May 5th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I think the thyroid is one of the tests she wants to do.it's the only logical thing medical or the jacket.i know i want an answer for what happened.my buddy curious also since jag was always happy to see him and play lap dog and ball.till yesterday.hopefully we will get some answers on monday at the vet.

Frenchy
May 5th, 2007, 04:41 PM
At least you don't have to worry about a behavior problem, he's not a bad dog, something else trigered this.

angeldogs
May 5th, 2007, 04:46 PM
i believe so.that weekend we had a friend of the wifes over.and the worst of that was a dirty kong rubbed against the youngest.jag had a hayday with the kids and the attention he got.