Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat too scary for Canadian mail carriers

heidiho
May 4th, 2007, 05:18 PM
WINNIPEG, Manitoba (Reuters) -- Canada's postal system has stopped delivering mail to a home in Winnipeg, Manitoba, after a mail carrier was scared away by a "very threatening cat," the Winnipeg Free Press said Friday.

A Canada Post spokeswoman said the agency was concerned about the safety of its carriers, although it hoped for an amicable solution to its dispute with cat-owner John Samborski.

"The letter carrier who delivers mail there ... was brought up on a farm, she is very comfortable with animals," spokeswoman Kathi Neal told the newspaper. "Apparently this is a very threatening cat."

Samborski told the paper that his 8-year-old, declawed, black cat Shadow is docile, and it was "ridiculous" for Canada Post to make him to pick up his mail from a post office instead of delivering it to his door.

Shadow "likes to eat and sleep and cuddle. You could drop a bomb and he'd just open one eye, take a look, then close them and go back to sleep," Samborski, 41, told the newspaper.

cpietra16
May 4th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Yup, sounds familiar.We don't get any mail either because of my 2 dogs...ofcourse my bill collectors won't buy it:D
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m312/cpietra16/DSC01309.jpg

I just don't have the guts to tell her she isn't a dog:shrug:

LynLyn
May 4th, 2007, 09:42 PM
hehe i did a double take when i saw your pic, then read the line on the bottom and then understood. That is an adorable picture! I love meeting cats taht think they're dogs and vice versa.

angeldogs
May 5th, 2007, 02:47 AM
i can believe it.when i was a kid.there was a cat the would attack the news paper boy mail person.the cat would jump on their legs and dig it's claws in as it would climb their legs.they stopped getting mail newspapers delivered.

SableCollie
May 5th, 2007, 03:33 PM
"A very threatening cat"! :D It doesn't say the cat attacked the mail carrier, I wonder how it was scaring her??

We didn't get mail for a week once, and we finally found out that we had a new mail carrier, and he went to deliver our mail and saw our dogs looking out the window at him so he refused to deliver the mail. He wrote "2 dogs!" on all our mail and brought it back to the post office. We had to convince the guy that the dogs weren't going to smash through the window and eat him. :rolleyes:

CyberKitten
May 7th, 2007, 01:16 PM
That's ridiculous, esp since the poor cat us declawed!! That may make her more of a biter with no defenses which actually does make some people afraid of these poor cats but still, I don't buy the argument! I have met some scared aggressive declawed cats but if this one is happily living with you, there should not be a problem. I thin the problem is the postal person! I would make a formal complaint.

Cathy1
May 8th, 2007, 04:51 PM
There's a video about it here.
http://video.canada.com/GlobalVideoContentHTML.aspx?fl=1

Sorry but it's not working.

CyberKitten
May 8th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I did not find a video but found this article:

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=17246b09-ae3d-46ea-b564-377ffdb93597

Nervous letter carrier fearful declawed cat may go 'postal'
Growling from under porch brings end to delivery
The Canadian Press
Published: Friday, May 04, 2007

WINNIPEG - Neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow will deter the postal carrier from his appointed duty.

But apparently a "threatening" cat does.

John Samborski received a letter Thursday from Canada Post stating that due to his cat Shadow's alleged growling, carriers will no longer deliver mail to his home.
Email to a friendEmail to a friendPrinter friendlyPrinter friendly
Font:

The letter states that due to "unsafe access" for carriers, Samborski will have to pick up mail at a postal outlet about four kilometres away until other arrangements are made with Canada Post.

"This is ridiculous,' " said Samborski.

He and his partner, who didn't want her name used, said they were shocked about the Canada Post letter concerning their eight-year-old declawed cat.

"He likes to eat, and sleep and cuddle," Samborski said of Shadow. "You could drop a bomb, and he'd just open one eye, take a look, then close them and go back to sleep.

"I've never heard of anything like this."

The feline lounged lazily on the front lawn of Samborski's home Thursday afternoon, napping in the sun and rolling on its back when visitors approached, and nuzzling their hands when they reached out for a pet.

Samborski says he was flabbergasted when a Canada Post supervisor told him that Shadow hid under their porch stairs and growled at postal workers.

A spokeswoman for Canada Post said the federal Crown corporation takes the safety of postal carriers very seriously.

"The letter carrier who delivers mail there, she was brought up on a farm, she is very comfortable with animals.

Apparently, this is a very threatening cat," said spokeswoman Kathi Neal.

The Edmonton Journal 2007

amsmom2njkz
May 10th, 2007, 04:11 AM
Unless his cat is a lion or tiger then all I can say is :laughing: That is crazy

doggonecrazy1
May 11th, 2007, 01:12 AM
On the other side of the coin....

Good evening...just thought I would share some insight on this. I am a Letter Carrier for Canada Post. First off... there is the right to have the mail with-held if there is a safety concern for the Carrier. This may involve many things, but in this case it is a cat. As all the details are unclear to the circumstances leading up to the issue, it is really hard to say. This is a newspaper which is going to tell the story to make sales...right.... Don't get me wrong...I am an animal lover, and have been raised on a farm also. I have had both cats and dogs all my life as well as other animals. At the present, I do run night obedience classes for dogs, and one of the first things I ask the owners not to do, is say their dog won't bite. Dogs can and will bite given the right circumstances, and this would also apply to cats. If a cat is injured, stressed, or frightened in anyway, they will react to the conditions. Some cats are also very protective, and aggressive. I can honestly say from experience I have had a few cats who have tried to attack either the mail or myself while delivering. The attacks don't come from just dogs. At present I live on an acreage and I have one cat who goes crazy trying to get out when a strange animal or person comes around the house(Does a better job than our dogs!). The other one could care less. It is under the general assumption that cats are cute, cuddly, fluffy creatures.

This one may have been a feral cat that has been partially tamed by its' owners. Who knows? The cat is declawed...Nobody knows that as the claws are usually sheathed. When an animal growls, what does that mean? In the animal world, it is usually a warning, before they attack (not always).

On the other hand I'm not sure if I agree with what Canada Post is doing...depends on the circumstances. My question is why did this particular incident make it to the papers when there are several incidents like this (dog or cat related) that happen every day?

The details given make it sound like a disgruntled customer who is complaining because they have to go pick up their mail, when in reality all they have to do is contain their animal.
Believe me this happens all the time. People let their animals loose, these animals attack, or show signs of attacking, and expect to recieve their mail with little or no concern to the Letter Carriers safety. Unfortunately, this also applies to outside Utility workers and Newspaper Carriers. It is one thing to have an animal protect your house and contents, but another if you want a service performed on your property.

I'm sorry, but I don't think we're receiving the whole story :cat:

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
May 11th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Cat bites can be very serious, even moreso than dogs. Their bites can very easily become infected, so absolutely I understand why they wouldn't deliver mail to the house.

The details given make it sound like a disgruntled customer who is complaining because they have to go pick up their mail, when in reality all they have to do is contain their animal.

Seriously! There are outdoor pens the guy could make if she doesn't always want to be inside which are a safer solution, for both people, nature and cat alike. I heard this guy on the news that said he'd put his cat down if it attacked someone. It's called keeping her contained! And what is a declawed cat doing outside where a cat couldn't defend itself properly?