Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

thinking about moving to ottawa

~michelle~
May 4th, 2007, 03:02 PM
so im thinking about moving to ottawa in january ( i want to take social work at carleton)
any tips anyone can give me
looking for affordable yet decent place, what areas are best to live, which ones should i avoid?
i was loking on line and saw a few pet friendly apartments.
my price range is 700-900/mos rent. (incl)
what should i so when im there
any tips you can give me would be uber appreciated

Skryker
May 4th, 2007, 03:52 PM
I took courses at Carleton over the last few years (OSAP ran out before I finished my degree:frustrated: and now I'm going in a new direction) and I loved the campus and the school as a whole. The fact that it has the river on one side and the canal on the other is really nice. The fact that the whole campus built on a hillside-not so nice, but good for the legs. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure about areas and rents, but one thing to consider is that the O-train stops right in the middle of campus, so you don't even really need to be very close to the school. In fact, the parking situation kinda stinks so public transport would likely save both money and aggravation. I did a commute from Cornwall to Ottawa every day instead so it wasn't an option for me but I really wished it was, every day as I searched for a parking spot.

Good luck-if you have any questions about Carleton, I might be able to help.

BusterBoo
May 4th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I work in Ottawa but live on the Quebec side. We own our house, but rents are definitely cheaper in Hull/Gatineau and the bus service is pretty decent. I guess it all depends if you have a car or not. Parking in downtown Ottawa can run up to $175.00 a month. I am not sure if Carleton has student parking. Ottawa University has some parking for their students but not enough.

Good luck!

Skryker
May 4th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Carleton has student parking but even if you get a pass, there's no guarentees of getting a space anywhere. :frustrated:

I was wondering if it would be cheaper in Hull. I know the outlying areas are cheaper, of course, but then it's a balancing act between commuting time and time for other stuff, plus the money difference. There are morning and evening rush hours, too, although not as bad as Toronto.

~michelle~
May 4th, 2007, 04:16 PM
i would definately bus to and from school... dont feel like wasting money on parking we may have a car for work purposes though.

the only thing i am worried about is alot of the jobs you need to be bilingual for which i am not :(

TMac
May 4th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Hey Michelle

I'm from Ottawa and went to Carleton too. Are you bringing all your pets? Just wondering if an apartment would be too small?

If you find a place close to the O-train line, that will be great OR along one of the bus routes going into campus (see www.octranspo.com for both). There are a ton of apartment buildings (and some townhomes) in the Prince of Wales/Baseline/Fisher/Hog's Back area. 1380 Prince of Wales and 900 Dynes Road are condo buildings so the quality is usually a little nicer than the ones across the street (which are almost all students), but you have to check with the owners re whether they want pets in their particular unit.

There are also some houses and townhomes to rent near Bronson/Sunnyside/Bank street area. That might be a good option if an apartment will be too small.

Sorry I can't tell you what the prices are like as I haven't rented in quite a while. You could google 'Ottawa apartment for rent' and get quite a few rental sites to help gauge the price. Or - Carleton might have a housing bulletin board - you could find out by phoning the school.

Good luck!

~michelle~
May 7th, 2007, 02:59 PM
thanks for all the help guys.....
we're going to look in to town homes as well but they may be out of our price range for awhile. seeing as well have to find jobs and such. we exercise the dogs frequently so apartment life isnt too bad (we live in an apartment now)
I just want to make sure there are no really bad areas we should avoid. i dont mind taking the bus to school as long as it doesnt take more than 20 mins on the bus.
i think were going to move there in january and hopefully i get accepted in to carleton in sept. :fingerscr otherwise i guess ill just live in ottawa for a little while and work