Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Evo (cat) ingredient change

SableCollie
May 4th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I saw this mentioned in the itchmo forums. Apparently EVO changed ingredients because people were complaining the kibble was "dusty" and not holding together well. :shrug: No big major changes, but still...they didn't announce it or anything, people just noticed when they picked up new bags. The packaging did change and I guess looks different now. Anyway...this is for the cat version, they didn't mention whether the dog version changed.

The ingredients used to be: Turkey, Chicken, Chicken Meal, Herring Meal, Potato, Chicken fat (preserved with vit E etc.) Eggs, Turkey Meal, Natural Flavors, Apples, Carrots, Tomatoes, Cottage cheese, Dried chicory root, etc.

Now they are: Turkey, Chicken Meal, Chicken, Herring Meal, Chicken fat (preserved with vitamin E etc.) Potato, Eggs, Turkey Meal, natural flavors, etc. The apples, tomatoes, cottage cheese are now listed down after the vitamins.

So basically there's more chicken meal than fresh chicken now (not a bad thing), and less potato as it is now after the fat, and the apples, tomato, and cottage cheese dropped way down the list.

Prin
May 4th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I like the new one better. :)

But yeah, they (as in dog food companies in general) never tell people before a change. It's really irritating.

cpietra16
May 4th, 2007, 06:33 PM
WOW, I never had this problem until this week. The food was never crumbly until this new bag. I guess I must have got the old fromula.DId this just happen? ANd why would my petstore carry an old bag. I guess I'll check the date:frustrated:

Scott_B
May 4th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I havent seen their new bags & cans in stores yet, but maybe the change will be on the new bags?

Like Prin, i like the new ingredients.

rainbow
May 4th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I like the new one better too :thumbs up but they still should have to put a sticker on the bag to inform of an ingredient change. :frustrated:

Prin
May 4th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Yeah, OG posted about it about a week ago. They said that with the complete bag change, they figured they might tweak the formulas a bit. I liked the old Evo RM bag though. The new one is so tacky.

http://www.naturapet.com/images/evo/thumb_1491.jpg

vs..
http://www.thecleverk9.ca/innova%20evo%20web%20images/EVO_RM_bags.jpg

rainbow
May 4th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I don't care what the bag looks like, I just think they should still have to put a sticker on it about an ingredient change. :frustrated:

Scott_B
May 5th, 2007, 06:14 AM
I don't care what the bag looks like, I just think they should still have to put a sticker on it about an ingredient change. :frustrated:

Do you know they havent? Like i said, i havent seen any of the new bags in my area yet. So maybe they do say something about the change? Probably not, but I don't know either way.

Prin
May 5th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Well, do they need a sticker? I mean the bag is so different, you'd probably get suspicious... :shrug:

rainbow
May 5th, 2007, 01:58 PM
I honestly don't think alot of people would. :shrug:

OntarioGreys
May 6th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Personally I thought they were changing the bags to make it easier to differentiate between the formulas because I know even I have grabbed the wrong bag once since they look so similiar, It was not until I was copying the website for someone else did I notice no beef meal was in the new formula of EVO RM

Since the changes were in the website they should have said something like "new and Improved formula" at least some kind of hint that it changed

Look at Natural Balance they added the Rice Protein but never said a word but it sure got noticed in definitely a way no one would have expected.
the cat food itself had absolutely no rice initially some people may have specificantly chose it because their cat had an allergy to rice so even if it did not have the melamine in it, it could have caused the cat to become ill and the owner would not have known why, to me I think that is irresponsible of any manufacturer there are a lot of animals out there that have extremely sensitive stomachs to food changes, if owners were alert ahead of time to an ingredient change they could make a switch slower or find another food if the change involve an ingredient the animals may be allergic to

Even though the EVO change may not affect my gang, but who know the main engrediet was beef and now becomes lamb , I am a bit upset they made the change without saying something first, I should not have had to figure it out the way I did and confirm it was not just a typo error on their website

rainbow
May 6th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Since the changes were in the website they should have said something like "new and Improved formula" at least some kind of hint that it changed

Absolutely....I totally agree. :)

Prin
May 6th, 2007, 01:47 PM
I agree- companies who target sensitive animals should be more vigilant about disclosing formula changes. There's just no reason not to.

rainbow
May 6th, 2007, 02:04 PM
All companies that change ingredients should have to inform the public properly. Especially nowadays !!!

Scary
May 8th, 2007, 01:02 PM
I like the new one better. :)

But yeah, they (as in dog food companies in general) never tell people before a change. It's really irritating.

Prin and Scott (and others) are so much more educated on this... can you explain WHY the new formula and ingredient order is better please? :confused:

Thanks! :thumbs up

Scott_B
May 8th, 2007, 02:43 PM
For me, its more Chicken meal, less potatoes.