Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

old dog new tricks

shibalove
May 4th, 2007, 10:28 AM
We adopted a 2 yr Shiba Inu, currently have 2 others. The new guy was never really officially house trained by his previous owner. We are having problems now with him urinating in the house occasionally. Is there any suggestions to help remedy this. I know the obvious answer is to know his where about too prevent him or catch him in the act. he will do it at night, or day when we are not home, and has even done it when we are home. It feels hard cause I don't want to restrict my other two dogs freedom by restricting the new guy.

jessi76
May 4th, 2007, 11:34 AM
you need to treat this new dog as you would a puppy. he needs to learn the rules of the house in a positive manner. if you can't watch him, he NEEDS to be confined to an area. either a crate, or baby gated into a room. He has NOT earned his freedom in the house as the other 2 have.

you say this dog was never trained, well, now that is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. allowing him full access to pee/poo isn't going to help train him not to do it any faster.

at night he should be taken out right before bed, and should be gated or crated. when you're not home, he should be confined to an area - gated or crated. and when you ARE home, you need to keep an eye on him at all times, or keep him on leash attached to you so you can recognize his signs when he has to go and SHOW him the appropriate place to do so.... go to door to go out.

cheribob
May 14th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Something I have found very helpful are belly bands. I adopted a little male Maltese when he was 1 1/2 years old from a neglect situation. He had never been neutered or house broken. The belly bands saved his life! I keep one on him at all times.