Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Facebook?

Lukka'sma
May 4th, 2007, 10:56 AM
I'm not too sure I get it. Just what is this site. Do you use your own name or an alias ID?
If it's meant to connect with friends, why not just email them in the usual manner? Or is it a live-time chat room?
For those of you that have joined, what do you go to that site to do?

i_have_too_many
May 4th, 2007, 11:01 AM
I heard that it is somewhere you go if you want to meet up with people you have not had contact with in a while. That is what a friend of mine told me. She was contacted by a guy she used to date, that is how he found her.

I am also interested in learning more about it.

Schwinn
May 4th, 2007, 11:07 AM
My sister's on it, and apparently addicted.

Apparently it's like a MySpace for older people. On the radio the other day, someone said it is exactly what MySpace was when it started.

My understanding is it's kind of like hanging out in a big room, and if some long lost friend goes in, you can find each other. My sister has had two people who I went to grade school with contact her to ask if she is my sister. I haven't signed up, so I don't know the exact mechanism, but it sounds like you can search different ways (school, organization, names, etc).

I think it's one of those things you won't really get the attraction unless you sign up. Kind of why I've avoided it so far. Everyone I've talked to who's on it said they signed up just to check it out, now they spend all of thier time on it.

Lukka'sma
May 4th, 2007, 11:09 AM
So from that I take it that you would use your real name and location etc. Otherwise you wouldn't know who the people are right? Unless you have their email, in which case you could just email like normal.

mona_b
May 4th, 2007, 11:18 AM
My daughter has facebook,so do my neice and nephews.I made her get off of myspace.

You use your own name.It also helps you find friends from the past.You can do a search on them.You send messeges on your "wall"

She has a ton of friends on hers.Friends that she hung out with in school,her best friends from when we lived in T.O...And friends here.

You can post pics in your photo album.Join groups.It's much safer then myspace.With facebook you have to be added as a friend.And only those who are added can see everything on your page.Where as on myspace,everyone can see your page before being added.And there has been major issues on myspace.

All in all it's a pretty good site.If it wasn't,I wouldn't let her be on it.:)

mona_b
May 4th, 2007, 11:45 AM
So from that I take it that you would use your real name and location etc. Otherwise you wouldn't know who the people are right? Unless you have their email, in which case you could just email like normal.

Yes you use your real name an location.But when you do a search on a friend,you put in the first and lastname.This is why I find it much safer then myspace.With myspace you can look up either a male or female in certain age groups,with facebook,you go by people you know now or in the past,and can only be invitited.Hope that made sence.LOL

trippincherri
May 4th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I am a so called "Facebook Addict" lol.
I love it. I have found so many people on there that I haven't seen or talked to in years.
And you do use your real name or a variation of it, but you don't want to make your name too unobvious because then no one will contact you because they won't be able to find you.
My mother-in-law even joined so I think that means it is pretty user friendly lol.
It is free if you join, and lotsa fun.

Prin
May 4th, 2007, 06:51 PM
Me too. I like facebook. Once you get over the initial hump of finding people you really didn't like in your past, it gets super fun.:D We even have a pets.ca group on there. :)

I like it because even if you let somebody in as a friend, you can limit what they see of your profile.:)

Prin
May 4th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Oh and I used an alias... I mean, Prin's my name, but I didn't use my last name because there are a lot of Prin haters on the internet (because of this place)... I just make sure I have a reasonably clear pic in my profile so if people think they know who I am, they can figure it out.:D

cpietra16
May 4th, 2007, 07:17 PM
I use it too, but I think my generation of people haven't caught on yet...Can't find a soul:shrug:

Byrd
May 5th, 2007, 12:19 PM
I've met up with so many people that I haven't seen in 15 years. It's great. You often wonder 'what ever happened to....' and this way you can find out.

AliSam
May 10th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I am totally addicted! I have had people come out of the blue saying "remember me?". It is amazing. It is also part of the reason I haven't been on here much lately.

Lukka'sma
May 10th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Well I tried it. I registered and logged on several times over the past few days, each and every time I go on that site my computer freezes. What an incredible pain in the butt. So enough already, no facebook for me.

CyberKitten
May 10th, 2007, 10:00 PM
I have not yet even visited it - I have enough addictions online as it is and no time for the ones I engage in now. I won't be joining. :)

Frenchy
May 10th, 2007, 10:16 PM
I use it too, but I think my generation of people haven't caught on yet...Can't find a soul:shrug:

I haven't look for people , I went to french schools so I don't think I would find anyone I know. I'm only part of pets.ca , stop puppy mills and BSL groups.

Aimster
May 10th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Facebook is great. It started out as a place just for college and university students to use, join the network that you're school is in and find people through there. Now it has grown into this monster site that is worldwide and has 100's of millions of users.

The site has been updated to make it more private, you can go through the options and limit what people can see in your profile or you can limit just certain people, if you don't know them perhaps. Most people use their real names and what not, it makes it easier for people to find you but it's completely up to you.

I've found friends from public school and some family members that I haven't seen or heard from in quite a few years. Once you get the hang of it you'll be completely addicted, joining groups and searching for long lost friends.

Have fun!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 22nd, 2007, 10:07 AM
Hey there everyone.. long time no write on here.. so sorry

I am addicted facebook to where is the pets.ca group I would love to join it.
Have to go to work but will try to check in later..:) :D

meg4050
August 22nd, 2007, 10:52 AM
Just search 'pets.ca' where you would normally type in a name and the group comes up!
I'm a facebook addict too :o

Riluke
August 22nd, 2007, 12:08 PM
Yup I am addicted to facebook.

Luke even has his own page on Dogbook, which is part of facebook. You can put in lots of information on your do (or cat, they have catbook) and your pets can even have friends. It's very cute.

krdahmer
August 23rd, 2007, 02:59 PM
It's not for "older" people! :eek:

I love it, I keep in touch with friends from school, family, people I used to work with.... I even play scrabble with a lady down the street, and a girl that was super smart when we were in highschool...we're tied right now so that is fun! There are even groups for current highschool students to plan events etc.

It's great and I like that you control who gets to see what, cause I know there are a few people who have contacted me that I want nothing to do with. Both me and hubby are on it and we like it. :D

And I so have all the kitties on Catbook too, they have e-kitty friends too!!:rolleyes:

Misery's company
August 23rd, 2007, 03:38 PM
I love the dogbook feature. My only complaint now is that everytime I log in, all of my "helpful" friends have suggested that I add a bunch of applications. I've found that it can get out of control however as many people add everyone they know, not just people they are "friends" with. At one point I had 300 people on my list... I've since trimmed back but it is so addictive. They've blocked the site at my work as people were spending too much time on it and not enough with their customers. (I work tech support).
Anyway Facebook = :thumbs up :thumbs up

Ford Girl
August 23rd, 2007, 03:41 PM
Me too, I'm on there, and Pubert and Dazy have their own pages too. I love it.

dtbmnec
August 23rd, 2007, 04:22 PM
Oh..I didn't know that there were catbook/dogbook....I just have little pics of the boys under my own profile....

Megan

OC_Spirit
August 24th, 2007, 10:27 AM
I'm on facebook too! Its supposed to be used as a networking tool. Back in the day you could only register if you had an e-mail affilitated with a University but now they've opened it up to anyone and everyone. I like it because it is a lot more private than Myspace. You can have info up about yourself but the only people who can see it ar those you approve. I also didnt know about the Dogbook feature, will have to check that out!

rainbow
August 26th, 2007, 01:39 AM
I received this in an email. I don't belong to Facebook so didn't actually read the article but the headline made me think it was worth passing on. :shrug:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/08/11/facebook-source-code-leaked/