Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Assorted questions regarding all things outdoors with your dog...

Colubridz
May 3rd, 2007, 11:00 PM
Were heading up north tommorow evening to the cottage for the weekend and I'm just trying to figure out what essentials I deffiently need to bring for Duke. He's already on interceptor to hold him over until June 1st when he starts his heart worm medication so for now he is safe from parasites and of course he's up to date on all of his vaccines.

I have extra food, know the location of the nearest vet incase of emergancy and have a basic first aid kit. Bears are not generally a problem around that area and wolves and coyotes only seem to come out and dawn and dusk so I will be sure to keep Duke on lesh during night and early morning walks.

I was curious what is the best type of material to use for a tie out or if the plastic coated ones they sell at pet stores would be a better choice. Obviously the tie outs are only for short periods under supervision as there is alot of renovations we need to do on the outside and since the property is not fenced a tie out is our only option. Also what length and any safety tips like ways to avoid them getting tangled and so on would be appriciated.

My next question was regarding swimming,kayaking and canoeing with dogs. Duke has never been swimming before and I'm curious how to get him used to swimming as he is not fond of bathing or water. I was considering getting him a doggie life jacket however for canoe trips we can easily stay next to the shore where the water is not over 5' so I can stand up and support Duke incase we do flip ( though in credit to the canoe I have stood up and jumped out of it before in my younger years to catch a turtle and it didn't flip). For canoes do you simply put your dogs in a sit stay or actually attach the leads to the canoe for extra security?

We also do alot of ATVing I'd like Duke to be able to ride on the back while we travel at low speeds ( not over 20) to transport us to various hiking trails in the area and also need to know the safest way to do this. I could attach a ply wood board over the passanger seat so he could simply lie down on it and attach his harness on a lead to the atv ( on a long enough line so that if he did jump off the low speed wouldn't hurt him and he couldn't escape).

When fishing season opens next weekend I'd like to also start bringing him on fishing trips in the power boat however for that I will deffiently invest in a doggie life jacket since it will be out deeper.

Besides that I'm not sure what else I should pick up, I found a recipe for home made flea repellants for dogs and will make up a batch before heading up. I'm planning on bringing a piece of plywood or thick branch ( maybe a 2' long piece) along with vinager or maybe lemon in a spray bottle to ward off any offlesh wandering country dogs we may happen to run into.

Duke is microchipped and has tags with our home phone number so I will also attach a two sided piece of electrical tape with the cottage number written on it just incase.

Any other suggestions would also be appriciated.

Thanks
Kayla

Spirit
May 4th, 2007, 12:08 AM
I think the FIRST thing you should do is come pick up Ben and I... for the dogs, of course... :angel:

No, seriously, you need a lot less than you think you do. Something to sleep on maybe, extra food (just incase), a medkit... that's about it, really. Just make sure your first aid kit is complete, and you're good!

TeriM
May 4th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Yep, sounds like you are pretty well prepared. When we canoe with the dog I have found the best position is you in the front seat and the dog between the seat and the bow of the boat (ie. in between your legs). Depending on the weight allocations it can make you a bit bow heavy but is definately the best way to introduce them. Once you are comfortable you can try him in the centre. I find that the sit, stay thing is not overly effective because they still move from side to side so I usually have a leash attached to her that I hold or sit on. Don't tie him to the boat, if you flip you want him to stay well clear, he'll probably just head to shore.

I would also try to get him swimming before the canoe. You want him to enjoy the experience (unless he is totally not a water dog) so if you have any issues in the boat or canoe then he won't be scared of the water.

Have fun :) .

LynLyn
May 4th, 2007, 03:29 AM
wow sounds like you have every base covered....except...a camera! to show us pics of you canoing with your dog! and all the other amazing pics you will take.

Colubridz
May 4th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Thanks guys,

I will most deffiently be bringing the camera. It's going to be quite the ride up 4 people, one dog and one parrot all stuffed into a mini van and when we get up there my cousins boxer and golden retriever plus there owners will be there. Yup we travel in bulk lol.

Have a good weekend
Cheers

jessi76
May 4th, 2007, 11:21 AM
sounds like you're well prepared. The only thing i'd add for sure is the name, number and address of the nearest vet, in case of emergency.

clm
May 4th, 2007, 10:11 PM
The only problem I ever had with my dogs at the cottage was well water. The well water tested perfectly fine to drink, definately much softer water than either of us are used to drinking, but what a treat for your hair and the dogs coat. The dog (and I), would get the trots if we drank it. Fine after a couple of days once you got used to it, but not pleasant. I used to make sure I took up a large container of drinking water for the dogs and I. If you get your water from the lake, he'll be drinking that anyway while you're playing down at the beach. My dogs were fine with the lake water, (which we also had tested twice a season).

Cindy