Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

for the golden retriever owners

loopoo
May 3rd, 2007, 10:26 PM
hiya all who own goldens, i have a couple of questions, rescued a golden about 8 mths ago, hes part of the family now but wondered..

1- how often do you bathe yours? i have heard never wet bathe a golden and i have heard that they can be bathed all the time. I have been bathing mine, not too often, dry shampoo in between what a pain, but when he starts to get that golden smell, I wonder which is the best way to go. His coat is great, shiny and nice, but bathing wet seems to make the most difference for any doggyish smell :p
2- Out of curiosity, how much and what do you feed them what do you find they do best on? I know weights can vary with goldens but i also hear many say they have a tendency to gain weight easily. So i wondered what yours weighed, what you fed them and how much.

I recently have switched to Innova, but generally have gone back and forth between the premium foods similar to the above. Still i certainly dont feed 4 cups, he would gain un-needed weight for sure.

Anyway, thanks in advance for all that answer :)

JanM
May 3rd, 2007, 11:06 PM
Hi there - I have two Goldens - one is overweight and has to go on a weight-reducing diet food (YUK!) - Bobby weighs 74 lbs and should weigh about 60 to 65. Amber is about 70 lbs - she is larger than Bobby and much more active. Both are fed Go Natural Salmon formula - Bobby gets 3/4 cup twice a day and Amber gets 2 cups twice a day.

As for bathing... well, I just don't do it unless there is a specific need. I guess if I were to average their baths - it would be about once a year. Amber is in the ocean every day - Bobby only goes in during the summer but neither dog has what I have heard called "The Golden Smell". I groom them about every 2nd day and they are professionally groomed every 2 months. A friend had a Golden and she had hers bathed by a groomer once a month because of the oily smell.

Enjoy your new friend! They are wonderful companions..

loopoo
May 3rd, 2007, 11:44 PM
thanks for your feedback :)

I was curious about the shampoo/bath thing as some say it can bother a goldens skin and undercoat. I have gotten him shampooed, groomed twice since I have had him, but wondered. He gets brushed out every night, sulks if he doesnt get his brushing hehe. He doesnt smell bad all the time, but after a couple of months I start to notice that doggy smell.

As far as the food, he is on the smaller side as well, i exercise him every day, and walk him, but had wondered, he gets about two cups a day and seems a good weight, has lost a few pounds which he needed, but then the lady who was fostering him was feeding him junky food, and 3 and 1/2 cups a day. Anyway, thanks again.

coppperbelle
May 4th, 2007, 06:26 AM
First of all thank you for rescuing golden.
I rarely bathe my dogs unless they have rolled in something. I don't notice a smell to them although it could be that I don't notice it anymore. I live in Quebec so our climate is very different from yours. When my dogs are dirty I usually allow them to dry outside and then give them a good brushing which takes care of all the dirt.

I feed my dogs Canidae, All Life Stages but I also give them things like vegetables and sardines, cooked beef and chicken.
Hunter who is 75 pounds gets about 2 1/2 cups per day depending on how much exercise he is getting. Chloe is smaller at 58 pounds and gets 2 cups per day. She is constantly moving so burns off the calories faster.

If you are looking for more information specifically about goldens I would recommend the following web site: www.canadiangoldens.com
Check through th archives for any questions you have.

goldengal
May 4th, 2007, 08:29 AM
I have had Goldens for going on 25 years. Montana does not seem to have the doggy smell my other Goldens did. I take her every 3 months to be bathed and groomed. She is a very light English Golden, and even when she gets filthy from the lake (soot around the shore) and comes out charcoal, once she dries and is brushed, she comes up good as new. lol

Eagle Pack Holistic Anchovy, Salmon and Sardine is the food she has been eating for over a year now. She is the smallest Golden I have ever had, and hovers around 60 lbs. Some think she is too slim, but the vet is so pleased with her weight - easier to keep it off than take it off. Oh, she gets two cups/day - 1 in the morning and 1 at night, and I too add goodies - sardines, grated veggies and cheese, and I give her 2 tsp. of probiotic yogurt every morning.

barkley21
May 4th, 2007, 09:04 AM
I have one golden, Barkley, who is just over a year old and we have had him since he was 7 weeks old.
As the others have said, I only bathe Barkley when he needs it (when he gets muddy playing at the park during rainy days). I've only bathed him twice in his life and both times were because he was muddy, not because he smelled like "doggy" :p I actually get compliments on how great Barkley smells! I'm always nuzzling my face into his fur and smelling him because he smells so wonderful :cloud9:
As for food, Barkley is fed prey model raw and has been since he was 4 months old. He weighs approx 65 lbs and is pure muscle.

Spirit
May 4th, 2007, 11:28 AM
One of the main reasons for not overbathing a golden is because they are prone to skin problems, especially if not dried off properly (and quickly). Mine is a 58lb male, purebred (show line) golden.

My dog (and all the puppies from my breeder) came from long lines of goldens that have no record of skin problems, so I've been lucky in that regard. I'm also lucky that I have a dog that doesn't seem to smell (I HATE that dirty dog smell). People always assume he just had a bath, when his last one might have been a month ago.

I give him a rinse with plain water after every time he goes in salt water (the salt is bad for their skin) or if he gets really muddy, and use soap only once and a while when needed.

The only shampoo I like is the bar soap from Canyon Meadow. http://www.canyonmeadow.ca/pages/products/02.php It has EFA's and the citronella, cedarwood, and tansy, are all natural flea and tick repellants. Since goldens are one of the few dogs who release oils instead of dander, this soap works great, and it smells really woodsy and natural (I do NOT want my dog to smell like cherries and wildflower, thankyouverymuch).

I think it depends on your dog. If your golden has skin problems, don't overbathe and be cautious of what shampoo you use.

loopoo
May 4th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks again for all your replys!!! You all have pretty much confirmed what I thought, no overbathing, and the amount of food I am giving seems fine. as far as food I am feeding him good stuff, and he does get his treats, chicken beef and veggies,with some acidophillus thrown in there too.

He came in to our home with ms queen kitty pantera, and the two seem to get along decently, knock wood. They found him on the street, with a beagle girlfriend, and matted down so when I got him he was shaved, had a puncture wound, was extremely shy, and nervous may have been abused:mad: . Hes blossomed a lot since then, his coat is shiny and grown in,wound has healed he is playful, super smart, a real love overall and a wonderful addition to the family.

One of these years I will have to get some pictures in of him and my kitty, thanks again all!!

Frenchy
May 4th, 2007, 12:31 PM
One of these years I will have to get some pictures in of him and my kitty, thanks again all!!

You're going to make us wait that long ? :eek: :D

I adopted 3 older rescues (all goldens) my Daisy died last year, so that leaves Bailey and Sam. I bathe them 2-3 times a year, unless they roll on some dead animal :yuck: (Bailey specialty) He is pretty submissive and was probably abused just like yours. They do adjust very well to their new families :cloud9:

Geezer
May 4th, 2007, 02:29 PM
I guess it depends on where you live. I have one Golden (10 years old and very overweight) who stays wet all day. We live in a Wetland area that makes it impossible for her to stay dry. So, what I do is have her shaved in the late Spring to prevent any skin irritations. When the hair is long, there is nothing one can do except wait for her to dry off (with help from a dryer) and spray her with a skin spray that keeps it from getting irritated.

As far as the overweight issue: in many Goldens (including mine) the problem is a Thyroid imbalance. She has to take Thyrotabs morning and night for her entire life. However, even with the medication, daily long walks and the use of low calorie foods (Canidae Platinum formula) she still weighs in at just over 90 lbs. She is big for a female Golden to begin with - and big boned, but not quite big enough to hold that much weight. Thankfully she can still get around and terrorize the squirrels and rabbits in our yard.

Geezer

goldengal
May 4th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Geezer .... As far as being overweight goes, my last Golden, Duke, who meant so much to me, came to us at almost 3 years old. He was 80 pounds and a gorgeous looking dog - what a huge head he had. When we took him to the vet the next day to be checked over, the vet said his lymph glands were swollen which could mean an infection, and was prescribed an abtiobitic (this was 10 years ago and I now have an almost 3 year old Golden). Well, it turned out it was not an infection but hypothyroidism. Duke was on Walthams (now Royal Canin) low calorie food and got down to about 68 lbs. Perhaps Canidae (no matter what formula, is too rich). In retrospect, I watched Duke's weight continually, and he died just short of 10 years, and I often questioned why I worried so much about his weiight. We can only try to do what we think is best for our beloved friends.

Goldens4Ever
May 4th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Hi there!

I have 2 female goldens. They both eat Timberwolf Organics Ocean Blue & each receive 3 cups per day, divided between morning/evening. Aspen (2) weighs 70 lbs. & Goldie (3.5) weighs 74. These are their ideal weights.

They get bathed once per month. For Goldie I use Solid Gold's Super Sen Gelle Shampoo & Solid Gold's Jojoba Oil Conditioner--they are the best products I have ever used & I refuse to use anything else. Aspen has a special shampoo for Seborrhea. After I shampoo them, they always get their ears cleaned with a cleaner that dries up the remaining liquid & water, & I ALWAYS completely dry them with a hair dryer on LOW HEAT--it takes forever, but it is necessary to prevent excess mositure, which may lead to Pyoderma.

Ford Girl
May 25th, 2007, 01:39 PM
I missed this one!!! I have a golden too!!!! ha! :lovestruck:

Sounds like I am on the right track, bath when she's super dirty, water only (no soap) shower to rinse mud off when needed, a good drying always, followed by ear cleaning. 3 cups a day of orijen plus natural snacks, she's 8 months, almost 60lbs, has a nice lean build to her. I still have her on puppy formula...been told several different ages to switch, but to watch for weight gain now that she's spayed.

Have pictures been posted yet? :)