Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Where to find a Bichon Frise?

triple7allstar
May 3rd, 2007, 02:27 PM
Hi all,

ok, my wife wants a dog. She is absolutely in love with the Bichon Frise or the Bolognese - little white haired dog.

Anyone have any insight into which is best for an appartment? Where is the best place that I could get one and not spend too much money (they are so frickin expensive - haha)

Thanks

Hunter's_owner
May 3rd, 2007, 06:20 PM
Why not rescue one;) Look on petfinder for one in your area.:)

Prin
May 6th, 2007, 04:54 PM
I agree. Check www.petfinder.com .:)

i_have_too_many
May 6th, 2007, 05:29 PM
If you are dead set on a purebred with papers you should go to a good reputable breeder, go the the Canadian or American Kennel club website, they should be able to help locate a breeder. Ask them the questions about personality and how well they do in appartments. Get a pup from someone who does health tests and guarantees the pups to be healthy. You will have to spend money to get a good healthy purebred.

If you are not willing/able to spend lots of money on a pup, or do not care about papers, definately check local shelters, there are often many small mixed breeds there, or even some purebreds. By getting a dog out of a shelter, you are saving their life, and making your wife happy (what guy does not like that idea ;) )

Please, please, please, do not buy a pup from someone who is advertising in the paper, especially if they are not registered and going for "a great price", they are often back-yard-breeders (byb) who are only in it for the money, and NEVER buy a pup from a pet store, they only get their pups from puppy mills, (even if they claim they do not).

good luck in your search :fingerscr

erykah1310
May 6th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I agree with what everyone has said so far, check petfinder out and a few rescues in your area, you just never know...

On the BYB and Puppy Mill topic I would just like to add, not only would you be supporting and fueling these " people" who breed them to breed more, but your pup could very well end up with some serious health problems, these types of breeders rarely do any health testing as they end up costing them too much money and so on.... there fore you think you are getting a deal (ex. getting a Bichon for $500 as apposed to $1500 from a reputable breeder, but ending up with all sorts of genetic problems later on which could very well cost you thousands more in the long run)

Having the products of back yard breeders myself, its a 50/50 split here on health problems, and believe me, when one of your "babies" are sick, it gets very costly trying to make sure they feel better.

I know the next dog I get will be from a very very very reputable breeder, I would much rather pay $2000 for a puppy and reduce the risks of genetic disorders.

SnowDancer
May 7th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Bolognese dogs are VERY expensive and also classified as a rare breed. You should keep this in mind. They also have major separation anxiety (although so do many other breeds, including mine) and love to chew papers and tissue (as does my Eskie). The Bolognese is very similar to the Havanese (also has many of the same traits) and while also a rare breed is a bit more readily available in North America. I expect you know that the Bolognese pups start off with straight hair which turns curly. I know this because when I was in Italy there is a vet/goat farmer/Bolognese breeder near the inn where I stayed. I had seen the pictures of the pups but when I met one of the adults I was somewhat mystified - the change in fur type explained it. The pups cost at that time about 1300 EUROS.

CyberKitten
May 7th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Bichons are cute and Petfinder is an excellent source. Also, the puppy mill rescue site puppumillrescue or something like that .com (Just type in Puppy Mill rescue in your fav search engine) is also a good source. If you want to pay big bucks and show your dog, you will have to attend a few shows and contact the CKC to find out who the best and most reputable breeders are. Or if yuo attend a show, talk to the judges and ask them. Who are the best breeders. Please do NOT go to a pet store!!!

i_have_too_many
May 7th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Let me clarify the CKC breeder list. They do not actually know who are good breeders or not, all they can do is supply you with a list of those who paid to have their contact information available. It is then up to you to contact those people and ask them all sorts of questions to decide for yourself.

I would also caution on asking judges at shows. They are there for a reason, and have a very serious job to do. Many do not like to "chit-chat" while they are attending a show they are judging at. You would be better off talking directly with the people who are showing the dogs. Always ask for references too, then contact those people. When we are looking for another dog I will ask a breeder who they recommend, the most recommendations usually points to a popular and good breeder.

I know it is confusing, but you will find one. Dont forget the rescues!