Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I feel awful.

trippincherri
May 3rd, 2007, 02:43 PM
Okay I am stepping out on a limb here to let you all know I am another idiot feeding their dogs crap food and I need to rant a bit.

I think I have good reason behind it because we live wayyy up in northern alberta, where finding a quality food is out of the question and if you can find it you'll go broke paying for it. :mad: (example: large bag of science diet cat food $67.00 and with 3 cats I would need a large bag- small bag is $35!!)
I am frustrated now with all these recalls and scared for my dogs and feel really stuck in a corner.
I have been seriously considering RAW feeding but there again, even our meat prices are sky high. We can hardly afford our own groceries sometimes.

And because of my medical condition I cannot work, and my bf makes good money but his job working for the oilfield is seasonal so as of right now he has not worked in over a month until the ground is dry enough, so we are rationing our money.

What am I supposed to do? I see all of you making better decisions for your animals and I have no idea how to afford it.
Is there anything out there semi-affordable that maybe I can give a try?

I am going into the vet clinic today to look at fish oil supplements for my dogs, because their coats are dry and starting to look like crap...and I was thinking of putting Shelby on glucosamine pills since she is 6 yrs old and after a hard day of playing and swimming she gets stiff.

But as for food I am so lost. My bf is not even talking to me right now because we got into an argument over buying the dogs better food.
(He thinks I am over-reacting and that their kibble is fine)
I want my dogs to look and feel good for as long as possible, but don't know how to afford it.

I even tried to explain to him, how better food means they will eat and waste less but he doesn't believe it.
He love our dogs very much....but was raised thinking "a dog is a dog" and though he has slowly broken this train of thought, the food issue he can't get by and it is soooo frustrating.

I don't know what to do!!!! :yell:

technodoll
May 3rd, 2007, 02:56 PM
:grouphug: hang in there, it can be done!

what you can do is find the best possible kibble for your money (do you have a costco anywhere near? maybe their kirkland one?) and add in what you can to boost nutritional content...

-cheap olive oil is still better than none at all, look for sales
-dollarstore sardines packed in water are the same as the grocery store brands, excellent nutrition and at 2 for $1 it's a good bargain. Lots of Omegas in there!
-eggs are cheap and 99% bioavailable nutrition, shells and all. feed them raw (room temp or frozen) or hard-boiled, crushed with the shells, poached, etc
-ask your grocery store or butchers for the cheap trimmings most people won't eat, fatty meat is excellent if fed raw, if cooked then you will have to trim most fat off
-beef hearts are usually cheap, as are pork hocks, etc

what you want to do is counter the grains in the kibble and boost the overall protein content, so you will have to be creative but it,s not impossible, LOL!

Glucosamine has helped Maika but it's not a miracle cure... again look for clearance sales at your local drugstores, you can save alot that way.

good luck! :highfive:

Lukka'sma
May 3rd, 2007, 03:09 PM
I am no expert in the food preparation area, but it sounds as if TD has given you a lot of useful information.
I only wanted to add that all you can do is provide what is within your limits to provide. If that means lower grade kibble or meat cuts then that's good enough. Nobody on this board was born with a silver spoon in their mouth, (at least I don't think so anyway), and if your situation is not stellar then so be it. I have come to enjoy reading your posts and seeing your dogs and never did I think, "if I find out trippincherri isn't rolling in the $$$$ I will never talk to her again."

Skryker
May 3rd, 2007, 03:09 PM
:grouphug: It took me a little while to convince my guy that we needed to switch, too, but the math really helped out after I badgered him into the first bag of premium kibble. My example:

1 bag of cheapo stuff=28.99 and tax= 33.05 x one bag a week= 132.20 a month
1 bag of good stuff=56.99 plus tax=64.72 x one and 1/4 bag a month=80.90 a month, plus every 12th bag is free.

Then once the dogs started eating the good stuff, he couldn't get over the improvement in coats and breath and the decline in the amount of poop. Now he's a total convert, even works on his co-workers to get them to switch foods. :rolleyes: :D

But I still add stuff to their food, too, shopping the sales for canned salmon in particular and watching for salmon oil capsules to go on sale. Just got 180 capsules with a bonus bottle of 90 capsules on it-I think it was 9.89 at Walmart.

:fingerscr :goodvibes: keep trying!

trippincherri
May 3rd, 2007, 03:25 PM
I thought Kirkland brand was crap too? I guess I heard wrong.
The nearest Costco is 2 hours away, and I was just there the other day.
I may have to make a special trip back for dog food.

I do already put olive oil in their food....as well as I will feed them the occasional egg but not all the time.
Right now they are eating Beneful :o ya I know not good stuff.
And I just found a TON of bad news about it on the net.
So I am freaked to keep feeding them it.
And I am sick of Shelby's skin being dandruffy and her coat looking dry.

So I can feed them the whole egg? Crushed up? I usually just gave them the insides and threw out the shell, I am so uninformed :rolleyes: .
And is it good to feed them say egg and olive oil AND a fish oil supplement all in one day? Or is that too much?

And with sardines and chicken livers and such do I just throw them in with their oil/kibble/egg mixture?
And how much should I be giving them?
Shelby is about 80 lbs right now, though that is her "winter weight" in the summer she is around 70 lbs.
And little Shamus is a big 56 lbs, though the vet said he is in amazing shape without an ounce of fat on him.
I know that was a lot of questions but I am actually excited now lol.

I am heading down to the vet clinic this afternoon and will badger them for more info too lol.
Thanks TD! You gave me some hope.

trippincherri
May 3rd, 2007, 03:32 PM
Aww thanks Lukka'sma lol, I certainly ain't rolling in the dough nor ate off any silver spoon!

When I asked the vet about salmon oil pills from the drug store she said no because what they make the capsules from for humans may not be safe for dogs...but if thats what your dogs use then I am assuming it is safe??
The vet may be out to make a buck thats all.
Same with glucosamine tablets she said no come into the clinic and they would order me some, so should I just look for a drug store brand?
I myself take salmon oil pills from the health food store should I just share with my dogs lol?
And how many pills a day?

technodoll
May 3rd, 2007, 03:41 PM
ummm the vet is not a good person to ask about nutrition IMO, unless it's a very special, open-minded and educated vet :o they seem pretty rare in canada, LOL!

plus anything they sell (supplements, glucosamine, etc) is waaaaay more expensive than the ones in your local drugstore, and less potent! they are only out to make a buck, do not buy anything from them except prescription meds such as antibiotics -please, save your money eh? LOL

the kirkland brand (chicken and rice) has been discussed alot before, i believe that the verdict was "for the money, it's one of the better ones" - specially if you can't find canidae or other good kibs around. sometimes you're stuck with very few choices depending on where you live. :shrug:

beneful, well you're mostly just pouring your $$ into the poop... not a very good investment, you can tell your hubby that :rolleyes:

for feeding eggs: absolutely shell and all, if your furkids will eat them! some dogs love them, crunch like chips, others will pick around the shell and only eat the egg. just try and see what they like.

you can mix and match anything for dinner that your dogs' tummies will tolerate, just always go slow when switching to a new kibble or introducing a new food (only one thing at a time), so if there is a bad reaction, you can pinpoint the source right away.

feel less kibble than the bag recommends, and substitute a portion with toppings such as the sardines, eggs, yogurt, cheap meats, etc. chopped cooked veggies are also great (no onions!), chopped fresh fruit, you know the riper stuff nobody wants to eat? LOL easy to find cheap at the store. in the wild, wolves will eat fallen fruit and berries, so the riper the better.

sounds like you're on your way to a major transformation and improvement for your dogs, diet, bravo!! :highfive: you will soon see them in better shape, with shinier coats, smaller poops, more energy. remember: garbage in = garbage out and "you are what you eat"!! :p

Skryker
May 3rd, 2007, 03:51 PM
:o Beneful was what I was feeding, too, until I read more. Now they're on Canidae and have been since they were small. And yeah, with Beneful, your money seems to go straight out the other end. :rolleyes:

TD's given tons of great advice so I won't repeat it. :thumbs up I've always used the human salmon capsules for the dogs, never seemed to have hurt them any. And they love fresh veggies and fruits, except oranges (which I don't think you're supposed to give dogs anyways.). The cat is pickier about her food.

Ooh-you might want to watch bananas. Bronwyn gets sick from very ripe bananas. :o I have to watch that with her.

rainbow
May 3rd, 2007, 03:59 PM
TD and Skryker have given you lots of good information here so there's nothing to add.....just want to say good luck with everything. :goodvibes:

Skryker
May 3rd, 2007, 04:02 PM
Aww thanks Lukka'sma lol, I certainly ain't rolling in the dough nor ate off any silver spoon!

When I asked the vet about salmon oil pills from the drug store she said no because what they make the capsules from for humans may not be safe for dogs...but if thats what your dogs use then I am assuming it is safe??
The vet may be out to make a buck thats all.
Same with glucosamine tablets she said no come into the clinic and they would order me some, so should I just look for a drug store brand?
I myself take salmon oil pills from the health food store should I just share with my dogs lol?
And how many pills a day?

I give the dogs one 500mg capsule once a day and that seems to be enough. :shrug: I skip the pill if I'm mixing canned salmon into their food, though. If you add olive oil to their food I'm sure that one a day is good.

trippincherri
May 3rd, 2007, 04:24 PM
Thank you guys so much! I am so excited I want to jump in my car and drive the 2 hours to Costco for the Kirkland food lol.
After firmly telling my man that I was going to try this for awhile, he kinda just shrugged his shoulders and said:
"well all we can do is try I guess". :highfive:
That and he is the main pooper scooper in our house and he hates doing it, so I threw in a few comments about poops being smaller,less stinkier and firmer and he started to turn a corner with me lol.

So for today I am off to buy some glucosamine and maybe I'll try them with some sardines. (I hate sardines, so this will be a lesson in tolerance for me lol)
I already knew about no onions and I feed them fruit as treats sometimes.
Shelby LOVES apples. I just pop the stem off and she eats them up.

Maybe I'll do the Costco thing tomorrow. I hate driving the 2 hours for a couple bags of dog food....and gas isn't cheap. Maybe I can find someone who is going soon and can pick me up some.

Does a better diet help any with urine burning the lawn? Cause I was always told it was females that did this but Shamus's pee is leaving yellow marks too :confused:
Does anyone know anything I can do for this?
We live in town and our yard is kinda our sanctuary and it sucks when it's all yellow.

wmarcello
May 3rd, 2007, 04:47 PM
I'm curious... what are the ingredients for the Kirkland food? How much does it usually sell for?

dogcatharmony
May 3rd, 2007, 05:04 PM
I feel for you. I have tried changing my dogs food ( she is a cheap food dog) and it is a long story ( so far i haven't found a food she will eat). Anyway I have been substituting real food into her diet. She gets what I eat basically, but for certain foods she doesn't get it the way I eat it. If i have Chicken, she gets hers lightly seared. I give her her favorite veggies ( now that it is summer I grow them in little plant boxes). If I buy meat I will cut the bone out myself and that is her supper.

She still eats her cheap food, but she only eats maybe a few handfuls. With my dog I think this ok because she will not carbs, like rice, sweet potatoes etc. A fourty pound bag of her nasty food now lasts longer that six months.

I wish you all the best!!

chico2
May 3rd, 2007, 05:08 PM
It's actually the Kirkland Dry catfood that is really bad,I heard some good things about the dog-food and checked the bag of cat-food,stopped even thinking about it,tooo much grain and garbage.

technodoll
May 3rd, 2007, 06:58 PM
here is a recent thread on Kirkland dog food, with ingredients, etc: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=36302&highlight=kirkland

:)

SuperWanda
May 3rd, 2007, 07:27 PM
Hi - we get the big bottle of 100% Wild Salmon and fish oil blend from costco which we take and so do the dogs.

It says on the side that the capsules contain gelatin, glycerin and purified water. Gelatin is basically made by boiling skin, bones and connective tissue to form a jelly so it actually is just protein - which id good for dogs.

I just toss one in with their food and they eat the capsule and all. :)

TeriM
May 3rd, 2007, 07:59 PM
I think there was even a recent thread around here about the Kirkland cat food and it has improved a ton. I think they dumped the byproducts and corn from it.

I agree with the others advice. Just remember to not give to much new stuff all at once or you could get some lovely splats.

I also use human glucosamine/chondrotin/msm mix and have no problems. You can actually get it at Costco pretty cheap as well.

Frenchy
May 3rd, 2007, 08:52 PM
trippincherri, I feed Kirkland to my guys, the lamb and rice one because I haven't heard good things about the chicken formula. It will cost you the membership (mine was $60) I get the glucosamine and some chicken strips (treats) for the dogs , they love them. Oh , the doggy beds are great too !

brandynva
May 3rd, 2007, 09:33 PM
I, too, had to convince my husband to convert. Once he read the ingredients on the bag and I talked to him about the benefits of not feeding all the grains, such as corn, and the sugars, he was hooked. I don't know if Pet Food Direct (www.petfooddirect.com)will ship to Canada, but we just ordered 80 pounds of Canidae All Stages for $78 including shipping. You can search by brand name and they carry lots of stuff! They even included a free pouch of Wellness Venison and Salmon dog treats in our package! From everything I've read here and heard about, Canidae is a good holistic food that is very affordable. We were feeding Innova, but it got to be too expensive. Anyway, good luck to you. I know how it feels!

Prin
May 3rd, 2007, 10:26 PM
Kirkland isn't the best, but it's definitely better than anything with corn in it...

Canidae is the next step up... It's great food and cheaper than most holistic food.

Good luck! I hope you find something... :o

Prin
May 3rd, 2007, 10:28 PM
I think this is the most recent thread on Kirkland (different from Techno's):
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=39270

trippincherri
May 3rd, 2007, 10:54 PM
Plenty of good info on here, I need look no where else lol.

I think the Kirkland food will be my best bet, since it is closest and most affordable for me, but I am going to have a look at that site thanks brandynva!
I went out today and bought glucosamine pills, as well as salmon oil pills from the DRUG STORE not the vet.
Found the glucosamine capsules (100 of them)for $3.96!! in a sale bin and they aren't even close to expiring or anything so I was happy about that since I need to take them too (recently found out I have osteo arthritis in my lower spine :rolleyes: and I am only 25.:mad:)
I also bought some turkey necks, a few apples, carrots, and a can of sardines.
Shelby and Shamus both are already used to carrots and apples since I feed that to them as a treat sometimes, so tonight they snacked on an apple.
I think tomorrow morning I will try giving them a turkey neck, that way if it don't agree with them I have all day to diagnose and fix the problem.
I am also going to try putting a whole egg in their breakfast and see what they think, hopefully they eat the shell parts and not be too picky.

I showed them the turkey necks and they got excited lol, so I think thats going to be a hit with them.

I am trying to arrange someone to pick me up some food, but so far no luck.
I may just be making the 2 hour drive for dog food and some paper towel.
I already have a costco card so that is no problem, and my dogs too love the chicken strips!
And they like those rope twisty thingys I dunno what they are called.

Hey has anyone else bought the garden spheres from costco that are solar powered and change color?? I noticed they had new colors this year.....I'll have to pick them up too lol.
Sorry for rambling....I'll go now.
Thanks so much everyone, your advice is greatly appreciated! And Pet Food Direct will not ship to Canada I checked.

geisha
May 4th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Just think how much $$$ you'll save in vet bills when you feed your pups good food!!!:thumbs up

trippincherri
May 4th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Ya I know Geisha ;) that was another reason I wanted to try this.

So this morning was their first breakfast, and though it was with the crappy kibble, I threw in a half can of salmon each and a little olive oil, and their glucosamin pill.
I figured that would be a good slow start for them.
They both really liked! The cats were really jealous because they wanted some though. But I can't afford salmon for them all, plus the cats get wet cat food occasionally so thats treat enough, otherwise they get super fat.

So maybe later this afternoon I'll try the turkey necks. Good thing I am a farm girl, otherwise I would never touch them they are a hideous looking chunk of meat lol.

technodoll
May 4th, 2007, 12:50 PM
he he! turkey necks... specially the skinless ones... they sure look like, well.. he he!!! :laughing:

trippincherri
May 4th, 2007, 12:54 PM
I know what ya mean TD :D
Nasty little things.

Skryker
May 4th, 2007, 01:43 PM
:laughing: Kind of like the British sausages called "bangers"? My grandmother told me that they are called that for the noise they make when you snap them apart. :rolleyes: Took me years to understand why all the other adults in the room laughed so hard about that!

krdahmer
May 4th, 2007, 03:05 PM
All I can say is good luck to you, and keep doing what you can. We are also suffering from a lack of funds, but here there is a little competition between stores so we have options. And I imagine that after all this recalling, more stores will be forced to carry the high end brands and be fairer with their pricing... I know wishful thinking.:rolleyes:

Oh and have you tried shopping for foods online? Some of the more natural and holistic brands are sold online (not sure if its super expensive for shipping or not)... oh and buying the larger bags, it actually saves you money in the long run (also true for litter- I think you mentioned cats as well as dogs.).

And just remember the MOST important thing you give these animals is love, and from the sounds of it they are getting a steady diet of that. :goodvibes:

Best of Luck.
:D

trippincherri
May 4th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Nope no shortage of love here:D
I don't want to go ALL OUT on the RAW feeding, still want to feed kibble too but would like to offer them a better variety. Even if I can up their nutrients by half I know they are going to show major improvements.
I am excited to see the changes they are going to go through.

I cooked and blended up some carrots for the week and let them both have a lick of the spoon, they loved it lol.
I'm so glad they are not picky eaters.

Smiley14
May 4th, 2007, 06:34 PM
This thread has been so interesting, thank you!!! I am trying a new diet that will include lots more veggies and some fruit for my dog too, so it's so interesting to hear how it's going so far for you! Did you try the egg yet? I'm a little nervous to try a raw egg for some reason, LOL! My guy will eat pretty much anything too, so I had to smile at your comments. :) Good luck!!!!

technodoll
May 4th, 2007, 08:02 PM
i know a few people who love raw eggs in their protein shakes, my brother is one of these freaks :yuck: :o

they are perfectly safe as long as they're fresh... think of all the animals in the world whose diet staple include lots of raw eggs. try a raw frozen egg, it's clean and most dogs looove the "eggsickle" :p

angeldogs
May 5th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Smiley.thats the first thing jag eats.pulls everthing out of the bowl eats the egg then goes for the meat.

Maya
May 5th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Just wanted to add that if the Kirkland doesn't work out or you'd rather try something different you could try requesting it be stocked. Not sure how that works with Costco but might be worth a try.

trippincherri
May 5th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Well lastnight was sardines and an egg along with some blended carrots.
I smashed the whole egg and threw it in with their kibble/carrots and sardines.
At first they kinda made funny faces at the egg, I'm not sure if it is because they crunched funny or tasted odd, but after the initial first few seconds they gulped it down.
So far no weird stools or puking or anything so I think I am safe to proceed.
This morning they were licking their lips ready for breakfast as soon as they seen me.

technodoll
May 5th, 2007, 12:39 PM
that's a good update! please keep us posted :crazy:

angeldogs
May 5th, 2007, 12:44 PM
That's good.a good sign to me when their lick'n lips and waiting their liking the change

Goldens4Ever
May 6th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Technodoll told me this a long time ago when I was inquiring about feeding canned meat & I didn't see where she mentioned it on this thread: When you are using canned meat (tuna, sardines, salmon, etc). be sure to soak it in water for 5-10 minutes & then re-rinse it to get the excess salt off it. Those canned meats are super high in sodium & if not soaked & rinsed, that could create problems.

I am so glad that you found a better alternative than Beneful....hopefully you will start seeing some good results! :thumbs up

rainbow
May 6th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I agree with rinsing the canned fish......very important.

trippincherri
May 6th, 2007, 01:59 PM
I had actually wondered about that, I've only fed them the fish once so far but next time I will remember to soak and rinse. Thanks for the good tip!

Are oysters okay to feed? No one has mentioned them yet so I didn't know if they were safe or not?

OntarioGreys
May 6th, 2007, 02:29 PM
That is a problem with a lot of the remoter areas, I recall one person in Poland did not like the idea of feeding cheap kibbles so depended on hunters or farmers to give her what wherever they did not want including the scraps bones, a coyote or wolf may be trapped to reduce the population with only the fur kept so she asked for the meat that normally would have been tosses away same with fish, or farm vegetable crops not good enough for market , she invested in a freezer so she would be able to store during peroids where little hunting was done so she managed to feed her dogs almost free just by being extremely resourceful as long as the meat/first is frozen first and then thaw then okay to feed if you can pick up/find some stuff for free you may be able to cut back significantly on what kibble you are feeding thus reducing potential risks

DLC MEAT PACKERS, BONNYVILLE, ALBERTA, CANADA; (403) 826-2373; Free Tripe & lungs

A dog can live exclusively on tripe alone and be very healthy I have no idea where it is, but if too far see if their is a meat packer closer to you or qa butcher shop that will give you their scraps

I found on this site for raw feeding
http://lepusreg.tripod.com/NRS1a.html

trippincherri
May 6th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Bonnyville is quite a long drive for me, but thanks for the suggestion!

Ironically our main butcher shop just burnt to the ground a few weeks ago :rolleyes: , they are planning to rebuild it though.
But until then I know a few people who butcher their own pigs and cows so I may ask them for some scraps,actually my parents have a huge meat shed and cooler where people come to store and cut up their own meat so I won't have to go far to find scraps lol. :)

I do not want my dog's to not eat kibble, I am still including it in their diet.
My reason for this is when we go camping or on holidays I don't want to be stopping and trying to prepare a RAW meal for them or having to bring one whole extra cooler with us to keep their meals in.
My main intentions are to use kibble as the "filler"in their meal with the main portions being meat and a small amount of vegetables.
This way it is cheaper for me and a lot more convenient but I am still able to offer them a wayyy better diet then what I was giving them.

Smiley14
May 6th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I love reading your updates! :) Thanks for letting us know!!! :)

Goldens4Ever
May 7th, 2007, 01:10 AM
I am so happy that you are doing everything you can possibly do provide your furry friends with good diets, despite the $$$ crunch & geographic constraints.

You mentioned that your dog's skin & coat are not doing well. I'd like to recommend ordering (or finding locally) Nutiva's Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil......it has worked MIRACLES for one of my girls who has Seborrhea. If it could transform her skin to the healthy state it is at today, then it could surely help a simple condition of dry skin & a dull coat. That would be a wonderful addition to the salmon oil also.

I will give you their website, but if you would like more personal info on this product, please PM me. We've been giving it to our 2 goldens for a year now & we will use it indefinitely with any dog we have, as it is fabulously healthy for them (& humans too). They receive a little under 1 tablespoon per day. We started seeing results with Aspen's skin within 2-3 months--HUGE RESULTS. :love: Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is also great for dogs with allergies & it possesses natural antibacterial properties as well. Please note that there is a huge difference between coconut oil, organic coconut oil, and organic extra virgin coconut oil. You want to make sure that it is the Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil & I have read that Nutiva's is the best out there. A huge jar of it would last about 6 months for your 1 dog--it's worth every penny. :)

http://nutiva.com/coconutinfo.php
http://nutiva.com/products/10_coconut.php

trippincherri
May 7th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Alright so I read on another site that you can add oat bran into a RAW diet also, so how much do I put in and how often? Does anyone know?
And can dogs eat green pepper?I have one that is kinda getting soft and don't want to just throw it out. :D

technodoll
May 7th, 2007, 11:42 PM
green peppers, sure! but either lightly cook or puree them in the blender with a bit of water if you want the nutrients to be absorbed. as for the oat bran, start with a sprinkling and see how that goes. you don't want mega poops! :goodvibes:

trippincherri
May 8th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Okay, and what about wheat bran??? I meant to ask that in the first place :o
And I will probably steam and slice up the peppers.
One more question :) Is white rice safe or just brown??

technodoll
May 8th, 2007, 08:03 AM
both whole rices are great - brown having more intact nutrients though. What i like to do is boil up some rice with veggies (about 25% rice to 75% veggies, mostly dark greens, reds and oranges) and blend that up with a bit of cottage cheese or yogurt in the blender. or coconut milk, some olive oil, you get the idea... You end up with a great, thick "baby food" like addition to any meat meal. If adding to supplement kibble, skip the rice unless you are feeding a grain-free kibble :dog: :goodvibes:

ps: wheat bran, oat bran, etc... i can't see it doing any harm but there are enough grains in kibble IMO, you don't need to add any more ....

Scott_B
May 8th, 2007, 09:29 AM
my thing is, why bother? Unless you feel they need these things, I wouldnt waste the time or money on them. Thats just imo

technodoll
May 8th, 2007, 09:38 AM
awe scott, cuz it's fun :D

Scott_B
May 8th, 2007, 09:43 AM
we have different ideas of fun :p

trippincherri
May 8th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Lol I am a stay at home fur mom so I don't mind doing it, or going that extra little bit to be creative with their meals.
I think once I get them some better kibble I will lay off some of the ingredients,just to make it cheaper. But for now I want them to experience a more rounded meal and beef up their crappy food,plus they love it.:D

Once I buy the new kibble, I am going to just stick with the supplements and try feeding them more RAW meats and veggies as treats or as a light addition to their meal.
And now that they have had sardines.....I think I would feel awful not letting them have them occasionally lol, they drool when they see the sardine cans.

Prin
May 8th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I'd just be careful adding things while you're transitioning. The change over will be hard enough on the belly.:o

CyberKitten
May 8th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I am still feeding my cats with cat food recipes - approved by my vet - and with the help of a nutritionist who does research at the Vet School in Charlottetown (I contacted her by phone and she was glad to help.) I do have to add vitamins by a health food store gladly ordered the vitamins I needed. They need protein and taurine especially. So far, they are all doing well - no medical probs tho I brought them all for a checkup after the first week - which was one of those a little of what they had before (Wellness) and new food and then introducing it all gradually. Some they turn up their nose at so I know that's a a failure and so not reproduce it. I will freeze some of the stuff and then reheat it so I am not cooking all the time, every day!

I also observe their health VERY closely and I worry about my guy with the heart murmur but he is thriving on this diet so the vet says whatever it is, it is working very well!

I do not consider it a permanent solution and may well return to buying food for them but they do seem to like the fish stuff especially but even too much fish for humans (with so much heavy metal in our waterways) is not good so I am cautious there! They also like chicken based dinners. I am so paranoid about food for cats right now that I do not trust any company and I am almost at the point where I think I could write a book on Cooking for Cats for Dummies, lol (I do think I will write one for some cat magazine though - even the experience has been intriguing.) It would certainly be different than writing for newspapers or medical journals, lol 9Or hospital boards and medical societies, lol)

Just a thought where you do not have access to things as easily as here in the south. (It feels good to be able to say I live south of something , having been regarded as a northerner by so many - well, esp Americans, even New Englanders to whom I live in close proximity, for so long, lol)

trippincherri
May 10th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Lol well to me you are a southerner cyberkitten, most of you are if not all south of me.

I have been carefully adding things to their diet, especially the fish and yogurt. So far only a few nasty stools but nothing to serious.
I notice that they both seem a bit gassy after salmon ( realised this when Shamus literally burped salmon gas into my face as he was being snuggled :yuck: , ya he got pushed off the couch for that.)
So I may cut that out, but they handle sardines well (I have been rinsing and soaking) so I think that is a safe addition for them.
Yogurt is a new one this week so I am watching them for symptoms but nothing yet other then happy faces when they are done. :D

Goldens4Ever
May 10th, 2007, 05:51 PM
......Yogurt is a new one this week so I am watching them for symptoms but nothing yet other then happy faces when they are done. :D

When I buy yogurt for my two, I ensure that it is organic, fat-free, & plain/natural flavor. Someone I know fed their golden retriever an organic plain/natural flavored yogurt (same brand as the one I purchase); however, it wasn't the 'fat-free' version & it made her dog's stomach really gassy & some stool problems. I'm sure this situation isn't applicable to every dog, but I wanted you to be aware of that. :)

technodoll
May 10th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I always get the full-fat plain yogurt for the beanies, whichever brand is on sale or the cheapest. same for cottage cheese. hard to keep weight on the kids since they eat quasi no grains, and no commercial foods. never any gas or tummy problems, but every dog is different :goodvibes:

trippincherri
May 11th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Mine is not fat free, but it is just plain natural yogurt.
I don't give them very much either,don't want to overwhelm them with it.
Once again, thanks so much for any advice!