Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to cook for my dogs?

SuperWanda
May 3rd, 2007, 12:38 PM
Hi - I've already started adding fresh foods to our dogs kibble. Now that I've been doing that I figure why not give kibble in the morning but cook one complete meal each evening? I think I can handle that so...

I found a website that has some basic guidlines for feeding a 20lb dog (http://www.dogiebag.com/Recipes.php

It suggests:
1/4 lb of protein
1 cup carbs
1/2 - 1 cup veggies
2tbl. sardines or liver 3x per week (supplies B-12)
1/4 tsp. salt substitute (potassium chloride)
1 tsp. vegetable oil (canola or olive)

It also says if you plan on feeding cooked food only, to add bonemeal powder (1/2 tsp/25 lbs) and Multi-vitamin like Rx essential nutrients for dogs (1 tsp/25 lbs)

I have no experience with this so I wanted to ask if this sounds like a good basic guidline?

Any books or website links that are good for getting this basic information?

Are the multi-vitamin supplements necessary if I still feed kibble? I'll have to figure out where to purchase that if it is.

Thanks!

Scott_B
May 4th, 2007, 07:32 AM
So many carbs and veggies, so little meat. ,....sigh :o

technodoll
May 4th, 2007, 08:33 AM
easy... cook up a big pot of skinless, boneless lean meat in some water (or you can debone after cooking... like a turkey, chicken, beef, pork, etc) and mix with pureed cooked veggies (whole veggies like carrots and peas will go right through your dog, you need to mush or puree to break down the cellulose walls even if cooked) - no corn, no onions, no cabbage and beans (fart! fart!). if you want to mix in some cooked & mashed grains, go sparingly and use whole product like brown rice, quinoa, barley, oats.

Freely add whole eggs (with shell crushed in), whole oily ocean fish - or drained and rinsed canned fish like mackeral, sardines, salmon, etc - cottage cheese, yogurt, etc.

Add olive oil and 1 tsp of ground eggshells per 1 pound of meat, to balance out the calcium to phosphorus ratio.

As cooking destroys most good vitamins and minerals (not to mention enzymes), do plan to add the following supplements for optimal health:

daily: ester-C, vitamin E, fish body oil (all in capsule form)
every other day: organic kelp, alfalfa, evening primrose oil
once per week: organic garlic (still in capsule form)

don't forget to give raw meaty bones for chewing pleasure & dental benefits.... for a 20 lbs dog, you can easily cook once per week and it won't be more expensive than kibble -

good luck!! let us know how it goes :highfive:

SuperWanda
May 4th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Thank you so much for those tips. :)

I feed the grainless Orijen right now so I felt those guidelines were a little off and was going to add more protein.
Those guidelines are also for for a 20lb dog, I actually have two 60lb girls so I'll have to make more.

Just wanted to ask about the garlic because I thought garlic was bad for dogs or is that just in large quantities?

I've been giving fish oil (1000mg) a day but how much of the vitamin E and vitamin C would I give?

Do you know if it is ok to mix kibble with fresh food or should I do one meal kibble, one meal homecooked?

technodoll
May 4th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Just wanted to ask about the garlic because I thought garlic was bad for dogs or is that just in large quantities?

I've been giving fish oil (1000mg) a day but how much of the vitamin E and vitamin C would I give?

Do you know if it is ok to mix kibble with fresh food or should I do one meal kibble, one meal homecooked?

about garlic, for every study saying it's dangerous to dogs in large doses, another study will prove the contrary - so it's really up to you. you can even buy the "pets version" tablets: http://www.worldforpets.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=735 I give my dogs garlic during flea and mosquito season, it keeps the buggers away pretty well and they have had no adverse effects. I use the human, odorless tablets and split one in half for my dogs (one is 90 lbs, the other 135 lbs).

Ester-C (not regular vitamin c) - I give a daily 500mg dose, and a 400 mg dose of Vitamin E - those are standard form.

And yes it's ok to mix home-food with the kibble, although it may tax your dogs' digestive systems as it's alot of variety to deal with. remember, dogs are carnivores and better equipped to deal with simple meals. it's no problem to feed one meal of kibble, then one of home-cooked... unless your dogs start refusing the kibble, LOL! :p

SuperWanda
May 4th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I've already been feeding less kibble and more fresh foods - tossing in some meat or eggs with a smaller portion of veggies. So far, they don't seem to be having any digestive troubles - but I did start slow and have been giving them more and more different foods as time goes on.

I just got to the point where I thought I could actually subsitute an entire meal - wouldn't be that much more effort but I wanted to keep it balanced.

Thanks for the information! :)

Lissa
May 4th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I agree that recipe is a little too heavy on the carbs!

With regards to the supplements, make sure you are not buying synthetic vitamin E as dogs cannot untilize it (you want d-alpha NOT dl-alpha).

And for the garlic I'd be giving it fresh OR making certain the capsule's say the allicin is active (otherwise its pointless).

I'd also add rosemary and kefir/yogurt.

JanM
May 4th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Hmm - this thread is getting me thinking - I really, really want to feed raw but Bobby cannot handle it. I've started adding fresh foods to their kibble now too and I'd like to try to cook for them. Bobby has to go on a w/d diet food - starting today. He has to lose 10 lbs so I'm now thinking this would be a good way to go.

Technodoll - you mention adding pureed veggies to the meat - but in what ratio? 3 parts meat to 1 part veggie? or?????

I'm going to try and gather as much info as I can to be ready to go this route.

technodoll
May 4th, 2007, 02:56 PM
jan it really depends, my dogs need to maintain their weight so i don't add alot of veggies (about 1 big tablespoon per pound of raw meat) but if they had to loose weight, and were always looking and acting hungry, i'd feed them more to keep them feeling fuller... you know?

last weekend i made a batch that will last me at least a good month, if not more... boiled together with some water and then let cool:

1 large bag frozen peas
1 large bag frozen chopped spinach
2 lbs fresh carrots, washed and chopped (not peeled)
2 large red peppers
1 small bulb ginger, peeled and chopped

i blended that in batches with some cooked white rice and a can of coconut milk. it comes out as a thick pale green puree that smells wonderful, btw ;)