Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog parks, cats and kiddies...

gomez
May 3rd, 2007, 06:14 AM
So, as everything else some of the dog parks down here are weird...

Mostly it's big parks in the middle of the city that have off-leash areas that are far enough away form the streets that I feelcomfortable letting Gomez off, and most people also let their dogs off -

Then there are the little "neighborhood" parks, for example, the one down my street is a small place divided into a kiddie playground (no dogs allowed) some benches, and a central grassed circle area about 50 feet in diameter, which is specifically signposted to allow dogs off-leash - no fences, and 2 small streets on either side -

I don't let Gomez off in this area, too many what-ifs, but I do go with the flexi lead and let him roam around all over the grass, and other people let their dogs off -

2 days ago we go and there is a lady with a cat on a leash, so obviuosly I cannot let Gomez go on the flexi, he would eat the cat... A cat on a leash, ladies and gentlemen, at a dog off-leash area....

Yesterday, 2 mothers with about 6 kids, sitting right in the middle of the grassed area (where dogs do their business, mind you) and the kids are having snacks... Again, Gomez cannot roam - OH, the sign that says I could let him off the leash is 3 feet away from them, in front of them!

So we walk on the path that surrounds the grass and the moms call out to me could I please keep the dog away from them and the kids... they don't want him to pee anywhere near them... (BUT, they're sitting in pee soaked grass!!!)

At which point I point out that one of the kids is about to eat a handful of grass, and I tell them that some dog has probably pooed on that very spot. Yummy yummy!!!

AAARRRGGHHHH!!!

Thank you for listening.....

Ford Girl
May 3rd, 2007, 04:21 PM
This thread should be titled "Dog Park Peeves"!!!

There is a bike path right smack in the middle of one of Calgary's largest off leash park, I've never had an issue, but I saw this guy ride by in his bike and this shepard type dog bark all the way after it and he yells out at the dog.."there's a $300 fine for dogs that chase bikes" LOL! Cracked me up!

Once I saw this guy in white jeans (white jeans - issue number one????) carrying his lap dog thru the mud and Sam (another golden - my golden's friend) jump right up at him and left two huge muddy paws on him right on his "you know what", he turned red and marched back to the parking lot, when I say marched, I mean arms swinging legs flying!

And last but not least...there are people in hip wadders fishing in the water and people fishing off the shore of the same off leash park, Dazy swims/walk up to them wanting some loving, splashing around all crazy like, wiggleing her butt.."hey, this guys wants to swim with us", Dazy's not the only dog in the water, there's like 15 dogs running in and out, playing fetch around the fishmen. Plus they leave their tackle boxes and supplies an lunches on shore!!! Not to mention maybe the 15 dogs might have scared all the fish away? None of them have ever got mad tho, so that's nice.

***Disclamier, I agree poeple without dogs deserve fresh air too, but come on!!!! LOL!

Stacer
May 3rd, 2007, 05:21 PM
Oh my Gomez. I realize that it's frustrating for you, but that is damn hilarious. Especially the mom and kids, I mean how stupid can you be?

jiorji
May 3rd, 2007, 05:47 PM
A cat on a leash, ladies and gentlemen, at a dog off-leash area....

LOL!!! that made me laugh. Let's not discriminate ;)

it's funny that she doesn't want Gomez to poop near them but you know.....eating grass (whether or not it has been tainted by urine) is more than ok to do:thumbs up lol........oh those Aussies and their crazyness :crazy:

gomez
May 3rd, 2007, 08:45 PM
Oh Jiorji, I'm all for cats on leashes, we used to take our two out for walks in Manhattan, but never in a place where it was obviously marked as a dog area! They had their little harnesses and would walk along with us sometimes...

I love the guy on the bike yelling at the dog! And the fishermen! Too funny...

Stacer, I agree, it is funny, I sometimes wonder what (if anything:rolleyes: ) Gomez and I do in public that infuriates people?!?!

Phew, OK, time for another foray into the wild wild world of doggy park world!

Spirit
May 3rd, 2007, 10:19 PM
So we walk on the path that surrounds the grass and the moms call out to me could I please keep the dog away from them and the kids... they don't want him to pee anywhere near them... (BUT, they're sitting in pee soaked grass!!!)

This would be right about the time where I'd tell them (while unclipping the leash) that they're sitting in a dog off leash area (and their kids have "treats"). (I mean people that dumb...) Wheeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

Regarding the cat though, it reminded me of photos with Santa last year. It's always mostly dogs, and we usually stand outside to let the dogs socialize when it's slow (we've gotten lucky with sunny weather). Last year we were standing outside with 4 large goldens, and a fifth mutt (about 90 lbs, I forget the mix), when a cat walked by.

This cat was huge, on a harness, and was coming through. She just walked right towards them, and the damn dogs all backed up as if parting the red sea. I'll always remember that cat. What a cool cat. :thumbs up

jiorji
May 3rd, 2007, 10:23 PM
Oh Jiorji, I'm all for cats on leashes, we used to take our two out for walks in Manhattan, but never in a place where it was obviously marked as a dog area! They had their little harnesses and would walk along with us sometimes...

i was just teasing you.;) my cats have harnesses too but I can;t get them to heel yet, and they would definetly have a heart attack in a dog area:laughing:

LynLyn
May 4th, 2007, 03:35 AM
hehe this thread is awesome! just the thing i needed to put a smile on my face after a particularly hard day at work! thanks!:D