Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I asked Orijen about their glucosamine

SuperWanda
May 2nd, 2007, 09:01 AM
This particular post from Eagle Pack made me wonder about glucosamine:

...There is no excuse for a manufacturer not knowing country of origin for ALL ingredients. Either they are not doing their homework or they are by design avoiding the answer. We use glucosamine and most glucosamine comes from China. Our vitamins come from BASF, the leading U.S. vitamin manufacturer, but even they must buy some from China. Any vitamin blend you buy for yourself or that is included in pet food most likely some of the vitamins come from China. The bottom line is know your source and we do. We are EU Certified and among other stringent rules you must have an ingredient sourcing trail. We do. Feel free to post this.
Please feel free to pass on your thoughts and anything you hear out there.
John

So, I asked this question about Orijen's ingredients and glucosamine:

Hi – I have still been feeling much concern over the current news about melamine and other contaminants in pet foods (and now potentially human foods) and the investigation going on in the United States. I also didn’t realize that our government does not regulate the pet food industry and that has made me feel uneasy.

I know that many of your ingredients in the Orijen formulas are regional but I read some info. from Eagle Pack which stated that most glucosamine supplement comes from China. Just wondering if any ingredients are imported in your Orijen formulas? And if so, how do you ensure that these ingredients are safe?

Answer:
You’re right about the pet food industry, but there are a couple of things that make Champion different than the typical pet food producer. Aside from owning and operating our own production facilities and working with our ingredient suppliers directly, you have correctly noticed that our focus is producing our foods from ingredients raised, fished or grown within our region. The only ingredient we import from outside of North America is Lamb from New Zealand - used to produce ACANA Lamb & Rice. We do not use imported glucosamine in ORIJEN formulations, and instead use ocean source made from “chitin”, which is made from lobster and crab shells harvested on the East coast of Canada.

As exporters, Champion’s products and ingredients meet the highest pet food standards in the world, which belong to the EU. Although we are producing our products exclusively in our own factories here in Morinville, the factory, ingredients, ingredient suppliers and ORIJEN products must all meet the EU standards. This is also different from other brands which are often made in many different factories in different places.

Please write again if I can provide further assistance,
Peter
www.championpetfoods.com

Lukka'sma
May 2nd, 2007, 10:03 AM
OK, so I feel somewhat safe feeding Lukka Orijen. She does do well on it. But I also don't want to get too comfortable thinking that nothing can go wrong with the production of this food. Nobdy would have guessed that all those other brands would end up in recall either. Also didn't I read somewhere that pet food companies have up to six months to change labeling if a product is switched? So if tomorrow Champion Foods starts to buy from outside Canada they may not reflect that on their website for quite some time.

SuperWanda
May 2nd, 2007, 11:13 AM
Although Orijen's whole thing is about dealing with regional ingredients.

But yes, I've heard that they don't have to change the packaging right away.

I guess as a consumer you just have to keep asking the questions and getting, hopefully, the truth about the answers.

It's hard though, because I think some control is lost, especially when you a buying ingredients from here and there and getting this or that company to make and package it.

This is also the case with foods for humans as well, although they are, unlike pet foods, regulated by our government. However, anything can slip past laws and regulations and it certainly happens.

rainbow
May 2nd, 2007, 01:10 PM
OK, so I feel somewhat safe feeding Lukka Orijen. She does do well on it. But I also don't want to get too comfortable thinking that nothing can go wrong with the production of this food. Nobdy would have guessed that all those other brands would end up in recall either. Also didn't I read somewhere that pet food companies have up to six months to change labeling if a product is switched? So if tomorrow Champion Foods starts to buy from outside Canada they may not reflect that on their website for quite some time.

You should email Peter and tell him your concerns. I have emailed a lot of pet food companies and he is by far the best one to communicate with. Peter is also the owner of the company and usually it is not the owner that you get a reply from.

I have a feeling he would be willing to put a sticker on the bags stating any ingredients changes.

goldengal
May 2nd, 2007, 02:32 PM
As far as change of ingredients, this was contained in a communique with John at Eagle Pack on April 19 "If an ingredient is in the product it must be listed in the ingredient label. Contrary to what you hear, AAFCO does not grant any leeway on bags/labels. If an ingredient changes you sticker the bag accordingly."

Scary
May 2nd, 2007, 02:35 PM
I have a feeling he would be willing to put a sticker on the bags stating any ingredients changes.

...or cheaper and faster to keep on top of his webiste. :)

I for one, like Peter's tone and answers... I'll trust Origen.

I'd be interesting in knowing what exactly these 'toughest' UN standards actually are... anyone look into this?

rainbow
May 2nd, 2007, 02:36 PM
As far as change of ingredients, this was contained in a communique with John at Eagle Pack on April 19 "If an ingredient is in the product it must be listed in the ingredient label. Contrary to what you hear, AAFCO does not grant any leeway on bags/labels. If an ingredient changes you sticker the bag accordingly."

So then, Solid Gold didn't comply with the rules?

gypsy_girl
May 3rd, 2007, 03:55 PM
I think you are referring to EU standards and not UN? EU standards are "enforced" by APHIS in the US, and CFIA in Canada. I think most of the Canadian manufacturers are Eu certified.
Here is the PDF, it's long and involved

http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/pri/en/oj/dat/2004/l_112/l_11220040419en00010087.pdf

Scary
May 3rd, 2007, 04:46 PM
I think you are referring to EU standards and not UN? http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/pri/en/oj/dat/2004/l_112/l_11220040419en00010087.pdf

Yup I was - sorry, I'm dyslexic... and obviously confused. And I wearing my stupid hat that day too. :) Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.