Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog is blind

jsimpso
April 20th, 2004, 01:17 PM
My 11 year old german shephard mix went blind last month. He went completely blind within a few days. His saliva also is very slimy and sticky since he went blind. He had a rabies shot a couple of weeks before he went blind. Does any one know if he might have a disease or diabetes. I have searched some web pages but can't find any disease related to sticky saliva and blindess together.

deerclan
April 20th, 2004, 01:29 PM
what did your vet say was causing the drooling (saliva)?
A vet would be the best person to answer your questions.

DeerClan

jsimpso
April 20th, 2004, 01:46 PM
I haven't taken him to the vet yet. I have spent so much money at the Vet that I can't afford to take him for a while. My 14 year old cocker spaniel just died in March and he had been on medications and visting the vet on a weekly basis for the last 2 years. So I spent over $100 every week on vet bills. I was hoping someone may be able to give me some suggestions as to possible diseases so I could look up more information on the web.

Bill & Bob
April 20th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Wow. You should talk to your vet about a payment plan, or ask if they will defer the cost until a later date. I'd get the dog in soon. Must be a shock to the system to all of a sudden be walking around blind. Even for an older dog. I assume you checked in the Ask the Vet section on here? The blindness thing might point to diabetes, and I've heard Shepherds are prone to that. Is the dog still eating, moving around well physically although blindly? What's the behaviour like?

Luba
April 20th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Your dog is blind within days and you haven't taken him to the vet?

Go to the vet!

Lucky Rescue
April 20th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Whatever is wrong with your dog cannot be cured without a vet visit.
If he has diabetes and it's untreated, he will likely go into a coma and die.

jsimpso
April 20th, 2004, 02:28 PM
He seems to be pretty good. He is sleeping a lot. Of course, he isn't as physically active because he can't see. I just called the vet and I am taking him to the vet today. Where is the ask a vet section? I am brand new to this web site? Thank you for being kind, I have been through a lot this last month. I lost my cocker spaniel that I loved so much in March. He was 14 and his heart was very large and compressing his lungs. He was on medications for 2 years.

Luba
April 20th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Good luck at the vets and I"m sorry for the loss of your other dear doggie.

deerclan
April 20th, 2004, 03:02 PM
jsimpso- WELCOME!...thats great your taking your sheppard to the vet keep us posted on how he or she is doing,Sorry to here about your cocker spaniel i share in your grief on losing a pet

DeerClan

chico2
April 20th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Wow,you are having a hard time as is your dog,sorry to hear about your Cocker,it's very difficult we know:(
Hopefully the vet can help your shepard,maybe the blindness was gradual but you did not notice until he was totally blind,poor doggie:(

Bill & Bob
April 20th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Good thing you are taking your dog to the vet today. I know what it's like being short on cash, but I'd rack up my credit card in a heartbeat if my dog had to go to the vet pdq. If something bad happened and I hadn't done everything in my power to prevent it, I'd be very hard on myself for a very long time.
Anyhoo, when you log onto pets.ca, look at the left hand side of your screen. One of the options where you see Bulletin Board is the Ask the Vet. I surfed through most of them when I found this site. Very informative. Good luck with your dog.

jsimpso
April 21st, 2004, 08:23 AM
My blind dog has detached retina's in both eyes. The vet gave me some oral medication and ointment to put in his eyes. He said there is a rare chance that the medications will work to bring back some of his eyesight. So I gave him his first pill and put ointment in his eye and when I let him outside he was looking at the porch light--it appeared as though he might see a slight bit of light. I am praying that he will recover some of his eyesight. My vet is a very wonderful vet, he kept my cocker alive for 2 years. Even he was surprised that my dog stayed alive that long.

chico2
April 21st, 2004, 08:35 AM
I am sure we're all rooting for your Shepard,he certainly has a wonderful owner,not willing to give up on his best friend.Good Luck to both of you!!!

woodbyter
April 23rd, 2004, 05:43 AM
Good luck with the ointments. I'm no vet. I am curious about the action of an ointment on a detached retina. In lab animals and humans a detached retina is often able to be corrected in a number of ways. One being Photo Lazer Coagualtion, which is basically the welding of tissue. A lazer beam is dispursed and directed at a point where the retina is more or less flopped back into place and at the point of beam intersection the intensity of the lazer beam welds the tissue back into place. Sort of like tacking a hem in place. Then the beam is dispersed again and in that manner there is no damage to tissue in front or behind the eye. This is older technology but it works. There are newer techniques but the costs are usually pretty high for vets.