Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Orijen Help

kahula
May 1st, 2007, 07:07 PM
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a huge lack of poop since feeding orijen? I just switched my cats to Orijen and Wellness cans (all grain free) 1 - 1 1/2 weeks ago, I have noticed that I barely clean any poop anymore. I am a little worried as they are Ragdolls with lots of hair?!? The poops I do get are small and hard on the outside?!?

Also any suggestions on getting water consumption up would be great, however I already have 2 different types of water fountains, have water out in bowls, cups and glasses all over, HELP!!!

Prin
May 1st, 2007, 07:12 PM
Yeah, no carb food does that. :o

Scary
May 1st, 2007, 07:27 PM
I have a similar question... hope this is ok, not hijacking.... :)

I switched my cat to Innova EVO 6 weeks ago, and while her poops are MUCH smellier, there is also regularily some... flatish, lighter coloured 'poops' (I guess) in the litter box - possibly diarrhea but I don't really know? The rest of her stool is normal, or like Kaluha said, harder and darker (but tubular - for lack of a better description).

Have others had this experience? Is this also normal with the change to a grain-free higher protien diet? Advice or thoughts? :confused:

wmarcello
May 1st, 2007, 09:06 PM
Just wondering if anyone else has noticed a huge lack of poop since feeding orijen?

What were you feeding before? When we moved from Whiskas to Nutrience, we noticed a lot less poop, and much less odor. Moving from Nutrience to Felidae there was not much noticeable change, but no worse than the Nutrience for sure.

kahula
May 1st, 2007, 09:12 PM
Originally they were on Eukanuba Vet Low Residue hard and Iams canned (I know bad mom :) then when their food got recalled I freaked and moved them to Techni-cal Natural (?) wet food and I don't know why but I was really upset with Iams/Eukanuba over the recall I switched their hard food to Royal Canin Hairball. Then when they started to recall I switched to the Orijen and Wellness. I have never had a lot of poop I would say normal one a day per cat, but it just seems waaay to little now, I barely clean a poop every other day from any cat. However I do realize that soo many food changes in such little time probably has aggrevated the situation and I know it takes at least 6 weeks to see results of new food?!? I don't know it seems the harder I try to do good the more trouble we run into.:frustrated:

List
May 1st, 2007, 09:36 PM
Orijen is a great nutrient rich grain-free food. Compared to foods that have a lot of fillers, more of Orijen is being absorbed by your cats, meaning less poop. My cats are on Orijen and doing very well. Fewer poops, smaller and less smelly too :) My cats were on Felidae (another great food IMO) but it contains rice, but since cutting that out I have noticed a difference. :thumbs up

wmarcello
May 1st, 2007, 09:50 PM
Orijen is a great nutrient rich grain-free food. Compared to foods that have a lot of fillers, more of Orijen is being absorbed by your cats, meaning less poop. My cats are on Orijen and doing very well. Fewer poops, smaller and less smelly too :) My cats were on Felidae (another great food IMO) but it contains rice, but since cutting that out I have noticed a difference. :thumbs up

Well our cats probably poop every 1.5 - 2 days on the Felidae, which does contain rice. So I would imagine on the Orijen it would be even less.

kahula
May 1st, 2007, 09:56 PM
Thank you to everyone who has replied! I am just a little over cautious as I don't need another huge vet bill for constipation:fingerscr Never mind poor Samson I am sure had his fill of enema's for a lifetime :o

I will continue to monitor but hopefully be a little less anxious!

Thanks again everyone!

Scary
May 2nd, 2007, 11:33 AM
Well our cats probably poop every 1.5 - 2 days on the Felidae, which does contain rice. So I would imagine on the Orijen it would be even less.

QUOTE FROM KALUHA: "I would say normal one a day per cat, but it just seems waaay to little now, I barely clean a poop every other day from any cat."

Ok... so I scoop Luna's box every other day, and often see 3-6 poops, so she's going at least twice a day... on 1/2 cup of EVO only (plus a few bits of Temptations treats at most), and some of those are mishappen like I said above. Should I be worried - is that normal? :confused:
FYI - I did have her tested 6 weeks ago as she'd been fed recalled food all winter, but she was fine then... that was only week one of the EVO.

kahula
May 3rd, 2007, 08:43 PM
To me your household would be normal, ok maybe a little past normal but I feed the cats 1 6 oz can of Wellness (which they devour) between 3 of them in the morning and one in the evening although the little one doesn't really eat wet so that is just usually Missy and Samon, and I give them 1 1/2 cups of hard food (Orijen) to free fed per day between the 3, and I"M NOT GETTING POOP :eek:

After reading some posts on this site I almost think I am feeding too much, but they are not over weight at all, however, before I was splitting Iams canned food and was throwing most of it out in the garbage, now they love the wellness and devour it in minutes, I need to be really careful!!!!

You know I never doubted myself with my dogs, ever, everything just seemed so common sense, I find cats soo hard and it seems when I do figure one thing out they change:frustrated: But I love them!:lovestruck: