Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chinese workers admit lacing pet food

Scary
May 1st, 2007, 06:54 PM
Read this article in the Toronto Star yesterday...

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/208774

I find it SHOCKING and Disgusting what people will do to other lives, to save a buck. Makes you really think about how you spend your money and on what, doesn't it? :mad:

Prin
May 1st, 2007, 07:46 PM
Yeah. :sad:

rainbow
May 2nd, 2007, 12:45 AM
The Canadian and American governments need to STOP all food imports from China. :yell: This stuff has now been fed to poultry and fish. :mad: I hope this doesn't mean we are just at the tip of the iceberg for contaminated pet foods. :eek:

LynLyn
May 2nd, 2007, 01:21 AM
That's disgusting, I don't understand how they can get away with it for so long. It makes me so sad to know that some people will do anything for a buck. At the cost of human and animal lives.

wmarcello
May 2nd, 2007, 09:41 AM
From the Washington Post (page 2):
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/01/AR2007050101918.html?hpid=topnews

At ChemNutra, company spokesman Steve Stern said, "we ordered food-grade gluten and the invoice said 'food grade,' but what we got was feed grade."

Food-grade gluten must be at least 75 percent protein, a level that the gluten ChemNutra bought from China did not contain. It tested that high, though, because it was spiked with the chemical melamine, which gives falsely elevated protein readings. Given the Chinese supplier's food-grade assurances, and a certificate saying the company was complying with U.S. regulations, ChemNutra had no reason to worry, Stern said.

On the plus side, this might imply that whole grains (brown rice, white rice, ground corn, etc) are safe. Melamine was intentionally added to gluten to boost its protein level to meet the requirements. I doubt that there are any such protein requirements on whole grains. Hopefully I'm not proven wrong...

SnowDancer
May 2nd, 2007, 11:00 AM
Two weeks ago I bought some frozen cod fillets - big sellers at Loblaws - and they were down to last 2 packs - popular because not frozen into a solid block. Well, I didn't look at the place of origin and when we sat down to eat them, my husband and I thought that gee they were kind of awful - grey etc. Not bad - well maybe they were - but pretty awful - sort of like low grade utility - not that price was though. So looked at packaging - Made In China. I threw them out. Had same problem with frozen Organic Broccoli - horrible, tough - and Made In China. I am now very carefully checking place of origin on everything I buy. Fortunately I do not buy much in the way of processed food so hopefully I will have some success.

Scary
May 2nd, 2007, 11:19 AM
From above: "and the invoice said 'food grade,' but what we got was feed grade."

Anyone else concerned that there is that big a difference between feed and food grades... seeing as feed grade for our animals becomes food for us and our pets??? :sad: :mad: :yell:

Wmarcello said: "On the plus side, this might imply that whole grains (brown rice, white rice, ground corn, etc) are safe. " True and that's hopeful, but also we must bear in mind most pet foods don't contain whole grains, most contain 'rice protien, rice gluten, etc' which is suffering from the same problem....:frustrated:

I too am now reading all 'from where' parts of food lables.... if nothing else, I don't want to financially support imported goods more than I must.

wmarcello
May 2nd, 2007, 12:12 PM
True and that's hopeful, but also we must bear in mind most pet foods don't contain whole grains, most contain 'rice protien, rice gluten, etc' which is suffering from the same problem....:frustrated:

I find that most of the premium foods out there, if they are not completely grainless, usually have at least some kind of whole rice in them (ie Felidae). Most of the foods that just use the gluten or protein tend to be of lower quality to begin with.

rainbow
May 2nd, 2007, 02:24 PM
I agree. Right now, it's best to feed grain free or premium/holistic brands that only contain the whole grain. Also, stay away from ANY foods that contain:

1. wheat gluten
2. Corn gluten
3. Corn meal
4. Soy protein
5. Rice bran
6. Rice protein
7. Rice protein concentrate

And, let's hope that the chicken and fish from the poultry and fish farms that fed the contaminated feed do not end up being sold to the pet food manufacturers. :fingerscr

Scary
May 2nd, 2007, 03:27 PM
I find that most of the premium foods out there, if they are not completely grainless, usually have at least some kind of whole rice in them (ie Felidae). Most of the foods that just use the gluten or protein tend to be of lower quality to begin with.

I agree with that also... I only voiced it as not everyone reading this is or can buy premium foods, and didn't want someone skimming through to misunderstand us. :)

Solid, simple advice Rainbow.:thumbs up