Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yucky stuff

Annnoe
May 1st, 2007, 06:43 PM
Hi, I'm a first-time poster here. I have a 4 month old mixed breed puppy female, who is wonderful in lots of ways and very bright. We live in a rural area and unfortunately when we go out for walks she eats any manure she can find, deer, dog, cat or cow, I have to constantly be watching her (what fun is that for her) then of course later in the day, she has to get rid of it, usually a few times. I have had many dogs before and they were never as determined as she is to eat nasty stuff. Any thoughts on what to do?:eek:

Prin
May 1st, 2007, 06:44 PM
Keep her on a leash and correct it. It has nothing to do with fun anymore. This is about her personal safety.

H.P.
May 1st, 2007, 08:02 PM
I don't know how much manure I pulled out of Sydney's mouth. No matter how close I watched her, she would manage to snag some. Just keep working on it, watch her, try to keep her away from it, and if she does get it, try to get it out before she swallows. The good news from me, is that when Syd learned about marking her territory (about 7 months old I think), she stopped trying to eat it, and now just sniffs it, and marks it as hers.:shrug: Good luck (we love pictures!)