Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about Glucosamine

Lukka'sma
May 1st, 2007, 04:15 PM
Lukka gets fed twice daily and with each feeding I give her one tablet of glucosamine. On some days she only eats one meal and leaves the second completely. Therefore missing one dose of her glucosamine. My question is, can I give her two tablets of glucosamine at one time to ensure she gets the full dose, or is that too hard on her tummy? Each tab contains
500mg glucosamine
200mg chondroitin

hazelrunpack
May 1st, 2007, 04:27 PM
We give our dogs a powdered version that is the equivalent of 400 mg chondroitin and 500 mg glucosamine. For a 50-pound setter, they recommend starting out with three doses--2 in the morning and 1 in the evening. So, considering Lukka's size, I can't believe that double dosing her once a day is going to have any ill-effects--it's still 400 mg of chondroitin less than what we give our dogs. The only side effect we've noticed in any of our dogs has been a little ... ahem ... extra flattulence at the higher doses. :o

SuperWanda
May 1st, 2007, 04:28 PM
I give one dose (500mg) only once a day. Don't notice any tummy upset. I was told that there was no need to spread it out for the liquid form but I don't know about the pill form - whether or not the effectivenes would be lower because of the absorbtion factor?

Mypetsrmykids
May 1st, 2007, 04:51 PM
I doubt it would hurt any to give both doses at one time. There is something that everyone needs to keep in mind.....both of these are blood thinners. If your pet ever requires surgery, you need to ask your vet how soon they need to stop taking this before the surgery. Most people don't realize this but it is important.

gypsy_girl
May 1st, 2007, 06:01 PM
Doubling up is a waste, as Glucosamine is water soluble and should be fed 12 hours apart. If you cannot split the dose, then feed only one dose, and then another as far apart as you can as close to the 12 hours apart

Mypetsrmykids
May 1st, 2007, 06:28 PM
Doubling up is a waste, as Glucosamine is water soluble and should be fed 12 hours apart. If you cannot split the dose, then feed only one dose, and then another as far apart as you can as close to the 12 hours apart

That is something I didn't know. Thanks for the info, my dog is taking 2 per day but the second one hasn't been 12 hours. It's probably more like 8. I'll pay close attention to the times for now on.

Lukka'sma
May 1st, 2007, 07:14 PM
I would split the dose except I thought I read that it should only be taken on a full stomach, or at least with food. My reason for wanting to give all the dosage at one time is because Lukka sometimes only eats once a day although two feedings are always offered. So does she have to have it with food or can I just toss her the second dose on an empty stomach. Twelve hours apart is very easily attainable if I can give it to her without feeding her at the same time.

~michelle~
May 1st, 2007, 07:53 PM
i think double dosing occassionally would be ok, i would imagine lukka getting higher dose she is getting the same dose as logan currently does

Lukka'sma
May 1st, 2007, 08:15 PM
i think double dosing occassionally would be ok, i would imagine lukka getting higher dose she is getting the same dose as logan currently does

If I follow the bottle directions she would be getting three pills a day, but I thought that sounded like a bit much. I guess I should up it to the max dose shouldn't I?

~michelle~
May 1st, 2007, 09:27 PM
if the amount is working for lukka then why change it. :shrug:

hazelrunpack
May 1st, 2007, 11:05 PM
Three doses are recommended for starting out with dogs of the Pack's size, but then you cut it down after a few weeks to a "maintenance" dose--in our case, we were able to cut it down to just two a day and still get the same results. If two is working for Lukka, going to three should be unnecessary...

rainbow
May 1st, 2007, 11:25 PM
Can you give Lukka her second dose in a meatball or 1/2 slice bread with peanut butter or something else she likes?

Jo-Anne 2
May 2nd, 2007, 10:44 PM
If you are giving this in capsule fomat you should break open the capsul and sprinkle the powder over the food. Some dogs do not break down the capsule coating and thus do not benfit from the supplement.