Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chicken contamination

Mypetsrmykids
May 1st, 2007, 02:26 PM
I can't believe that even home-made meals may not be safe. I've been using chicken for my dogs and now we hear that chickens that have already eaten this feed, have been processed. They are not going to recall because they say it is safe for human consumption. What about the animals that are eating chicken? Wouldn't they still be in danger? What about the chicken they use in pet foods also? They said that as the investigation goes on, they will find more farms. I am so frustrated!
Here is the article that just came out http://www.avma.org/aa/menufoodsrecall/breaking_news_070501.asp

TeriM
May 1st, 2007, 03:35 PM
So far it says just farms in Indianna but who knows what they'll find. I doubt (although I'm just guessing) that the melamine levels would be that high (to be really harmful) after being ingested by another animal but sure doesn't make us feel much better :sad: .

rainbow
May 1st, 2007, 03:40 PM
:sad: :mad:

Mypetsrmykids
May 1st, 2007, 04:05 PM
So far it says just farms in Indianna but who knows what they'll find. I doubt (although I'm just guessing) that the melamine levels would be that high (to be really harmful) after being ingested by another animal but sure doesn't make us feel much better :sad: .

The problem is that we don't know. Here is an updated article about what way they believe the combination of the 2 chemicals (possibly 2 more also) is affecting our pets. These chemicals are believed to be creating crystals in the animals and affecting the kidneys.http://www.avma.org/press/releases/070501_petfoodrecall.asp
How much needs to be in their system to do this???? We don't know and they haven't told us. They have already said that this won't hurt humans but we already know it's enough to hurt our pets. I wish they would come out and answer that question.

Scary
May 1st, 2007, 07:01 PM
If you haven't read it, here's the story directly from the FDA yesterday regarding the chickens:
http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01621.html

Here's the one regarding the hogs:
http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01620.html

Both are interesting reads... they're covering their asses, trying to downplay this situation and placate consumers while (hopefully) desperately trying to figure out the real answers in the meantime.

As someone else said - though its more "newsworthy" (yeah right :yell:) to have human-food scares in the news, our pets may still be eating this stuff (though in fairness, the FDA says very little hog meat actually got into the food chain, and no directly related human illnesses have been reported.)
Be careful all as pets ARE more susceptible to melamine poisoning than we are... though they still don't know exactly WHY or HOW.

Yikes times 1,000,000.... :eek:

Mypetsrmykids
May 1st, 2007, 07:28 PM
That is my point exactly! Our pets could still be in danger because it takes less to affect them. Also, they say that very little pork got into our food but they do say that chicken has been processed which means it's out there somewhere being sold in stores or maybe even to pet food manufacturers. Maybe even the last few that we do trust. I just hope everyone keeps an eye on their pets. If kidney problems are suspected, they need to get to a vet, have the BUN and Creatinine checked and if it doesn't look good, have the vet look for crystals. I believe they can do that with an xray, according to my vet. It's such a bad time for our pets right now, we just don't know how to keep them safe from this anymore.

rainbow
May 2nd, 2007, 12:49 AM
They've sold this stuff to hog farms, fish farms and poultry farms. :mad: It's the poultry and fish that concern me the most as that's what most of the pet foods are based on. :sad:

Mypetsrmykids
May 4th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I asked Pet Connection about if we feed chicken that has been contaminated with this ingredient, to our pets....is it dangerous for them? This was the answer I got back immediately:

Karen Roebuck of the Pittsburgh paper asked this directly of the FDA
yesterday. Their non-answer was that it isn't safe to prepare your own
pet food.