Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

best way to try seafood

raingirl
May 1st, 2007, 02:00 PM
My mother is deathly allergic to seafood and fish. All my life I never had fish until 6 years ago when I finally got the courage to try it and see if I was allergic, and I wasn't!

Now I think I have enough courage to try seafood, which I know is the worse of my mother's two allergies. None of my sisters are allergic, but one does get tingly if she touches raw seafood, so i'm a little more worried.

I asked a doc about it, and they said there was nothing they could really do test wise, and I just needed to try it. Ifi was going to have a reaction, it would be fairly evident soon after I ate it and to just watch myself.

Now, that kept in mind, I did have a bit of a crab stuffed mushroom once, and a little bit of stuffing that was in a sole fillet that had some shrimp in it. No reaction either time.

Am I safe? Should I try it at home? Restaurant near a hospital?

I'm going to New Brunswick this summer and want to be able to eat it if I can!

Hunter's_owner
May 1st, 2007, 02:59 PM
Most often an allergic reaction gets worse with repeated exposure. Therefore a first reaction may not be too bad. Having said that, it could also be the case that the first reaction may be really bad.

I am surprised that a doctor can't test for it, as they can test for other things...
If it were me I would try it at a restaurant close to a hospital, just to be on the safe side, as I would be a little scared.:o

TeriM
May 1st, 2007, 04:11 PM
If you were severally allergic you would have reacted to the tastes that you tried. I would go ahead and try it but have some Benadryl handy so if you start to feel any symptoms you can take it right away. You can also take it with a cup of coffee which makes it work faster.

jiorji
May 1st, 2007, 05:28 PM
why don't you test yourself at the doctor? that way if something horrible happens the doc will be there to give you a shot or something

Prin
May 1st, 2007, 07:06 PM
Eww... Why would you want to try that?

A better question is: if you haven't grown up with seafood, what are the odds you'll like it as an adult? :evil:

I hope you can manage ok.:fingerscr

Frenchy
May 1st, 2007, 07:26 PM
I'm going to New Brunswick this summer and want to be able to eat it if I can!

You should defenetly try before you get there :cloud9: I would eat lobster for breakfast,lunch and dinner :cloud9:

Dogastrophe
May 1st, 2007, 08:02 PM
If you were sucessful with crab, you will likely do well with lobster (and clams, and scallops, and muscles, and shrimp ... all very very good, especially dripping in garlic butter). :D

Depending on which part of NB you are in, you may be there during lobster season. There are a couple of joints in the Shediac and Cap Pele area that have all you can eat lobster dinners .... best $50 ever spent on food ... just don't fill up on the extras (the extras are anything that is on your plate besides the lobster!)

TeriM
May 1st, 2007, 08:07 PM
Aww, we went to the Maritimes about 4 years ago and went out 3 different nights for lobster dinner. I am almost drooling now just remembering. OOOOhhhh, and I never ever liked mussels but the ones back there are amazing :) .

BTW, the lobster is never the all you can eat part :frustrated: but the mussels, clam chowder, salads, desserts etc usually are.

Dogastrophe
May 1st, 2007, 08:23 PM
Last time I was in Shediac (been quite a few years now) there were two places running all you can eat lobster (all the lobster were halved ... more small claws than big claws and tails). One was at a firehall, the other was a restuarant special. They may not exist anymore. :sad:

TeriM
May 1st, 2007, 09:00 PM
I was in Nova Scotia and PEI. Obviously we should have looked harder for the all you can eat lobster but honestly after one lobster lovingly dipped in hot garlic butter and then all the extras I am pretty much done for the night.

Last summer we went over to Tofino (west coast) and bought three huge crabs for the two of us. It was heavenly :angel: .

Dogastrophe
May 1st, 2007, 09:25 PM
We get some decent crab here but nothing like the big (and tasty) ones you get on the west coast. All this talk about seafood has me starving. :D (fresh live/cooked lobster were going for $15/lb in the stores last week .... highest it's been in years ... I'm hoping the price will drop before the season ends so I can afford to get a few pounds)

technodoll
May 1st, 2007, 09:28 PM
you know that lobsters mate for life, right? you kill one... its partner will never reproduce again. :o

wdawson
May 1st, 2007, 09:34 PM
then eat both:laughing:

TeriM
May 1st, 2007, 09:41 PM
then eat both:laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: I agree.

Frenchy
May 1st, 2007, 09:51 PM
This is making me soooo hungry , I can't afford seafood :yell:

rainbow
May 2nd, 2007, 03:19 AM
Raingirl, I would order some take-out seafood and go eat in the hospital's parking lot. :D