Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Eating weird stuff

Kelly_ann1980
May 1st, 2007, 11:45 AM
My black/white cat name Joey.He is part Maine Coon. He is strange guy. I don't know why he is soo fascinated with eating toilet paper, paper towel and Kleenx. He would lick it wet, would chew at it and eat little pieces at a time. There is no smell to it. I don't know what attracts him to it. Maybe he is missing something in his diet. I let him eat these weird things. I don't know if it hurts his stomach. Should I stop him from eating these weird stuff. Will it hurt him or does it dissolve in his stomach juices. Does anyone have any kitties that eat stupid things? I want to know if anyone else has strange cats. Please reply.Thanks!!

clm
May 1st, 2007, 12:10 PM
I have one cat who will eat plastic bags and rubber bands if given a chance, another one likes kleenex. No I don't allow them to eat it. We keep the bathroom door closed and the kleenex box updside down and no plastic bags or rubber bands around.

Cindy

badger
May 1st, 2007, 01:02 PM
Please don't let them eat any of these things, unless you're prepared for a whacking vet bill sometime down the road.
What are you feeding them? Some think eating strange stuff indicates a lack of certain vitamins.
Or it could be behavioural. Cats need to be challenged, less than a dog but more than you might think. Make sure they get regular playtime, catch the paper ball, laser tag, whatever you can dream up that they enjoy.
Of course, if there is any change in litterbox habits, appetite, energy levels, etc. the cat in question should be taken to the vet for a check-up.