Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Possible BSL in a town near me

SableCollie
April 30th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Apparently one of the towns near me is considering BSL. Originally they were going to ban all pitbulls (!!!), but then they "softened" and decided to just do restrictions-only 1 pit allowed per household, must have insurance for dog, dog must be restrained at all times...I don't know what else. A reporter showed up at my shelter to research this story, we gave her tons of info on pit bulls, info from pbrc.net, info from the american temperament test society (pit bulls scored higher than goldens on their test), and we even gave her phone #'s of people who had adopted pit bulls from us who were willing to be quoted on how wonderful their dogs are. Well lo and behold NONE of this info made it into the article! It's not a terrible article overall, although I don't know what Dr. Dodman, who is a respected authority on dog behavior is talking about! You can see the article here. http://patriotledger.com/articles/2007/04/30/news/news02.txt

They are supposed to vote on the restrictions tonight I think.

That's one of our pits in the pic, even though they didn't quote us or use any of our info, they did use the picture.

babyrocky1
April 30th, 2007, 11:15 PM
I knew from experience that they wouldnt use the quotes you had given them, they like jucier info, thy dont like to cloud issues with facts....Ive seen alot more bias articles but still they definately had huge generalizaitons in there and Pit bulls are "bull dog and boxer crosses":crazy: thats quite an expert they have there;) ... nice to hear that you are doing great work finding your pups good homes though! :highfive: Very cute bullie in the pic, did he or she get a home yet?

Schwinn
May 1st, 2007, 09:25 AM
What surprised me was the number of people who were victims who were against a breed ban, or even breed restriction. It's unfortunate they didn't use your quotes, but the article wasn't as biased against the dog as 90% of the other stuff we've seen in the media.

Here's hoping common sense prevails. Good luck!

SableCollie
May 1st, 2007, 02:47 PM
The pittie in the pic is called Bella, she's still with us. The actual article in the paper also had another better pic of her playing with the animal control officer.

The guy who said pit bulls are bulldogs crossed with boxers or mastiffs (try bulldog x terriers) and that they are not a real breed (hello? American Pit Bull Terrier anyone?) and that they "go for the throat" is Dr. Nicolas Dodman, who is a well-known behavior "expert" with Tufts University. He has written several books on animals and I was really really surprised that he was so misinformed!

I was glad that the overall message was against banning a certain breed, although I hate how it says 'an aggressive breed" and "pit bulls and other vicious dogs" (implying that pit bulls are vicious).

I am hoping they will have a follow-up article after that town has it's meeting, and I hope they don't pass the restrictions. They would impact us, especially if people started dumping pit bulls, they could certainly end up being dumped or surrendered in our town, as we are right next door.

SableCollie
May 1st, 2007, 04:00 PM
:mad: It passed!:mad:

http://patriotledger.com/articles/2007/05/01/news/news03.txt

At the end of the article, it mentions how some people were calling it "canine racism" and one of their selectmen said "It's the difference between a fish and a shark." !!!!!!!! I'm so mad!

Now there is a limit in that town of 1 pit per family, and it doesn't mention whether people who already have more than one will be "grandfathered in" or not. I sure hope so otherwise people will have to give up their pets! And what if people aren't able to pay for special insurance policies covering the dogs? Do they know how difficult/impossible it is to get insurance to cover a pit bull??

That town has had one problem with an irresponsible family that let their pit bulls out in recent years, and that family has since moved! We have had more problems than that (we have tons of irresponsible teenagers with pits) but we aren't passing any laws. We work with the "owners" and within the current laws. We do have a "dangerous dog act" that does not go by breed, but by individual dog. That is what they should have done! :yell:

I hope enforcement is left up to their animal control officers, because I know they like pit bulls and were against the restrictions.

seeker
May 1st, 2007, 10:02 PM
I wish you the best of luck on this ,but be aware when there is a witch hunt going on reasonable lawmakers are nowhere to be found.

SableCollie
May 2nd, 2007, 02:00 PM
The reporter who wrote the article showed up today to give us back the info we had lent her. She said she was expecting "lots of fireworks" over this issue at the town meeting, but except for a couple of people who called it discrimination to ban a certain breed, no one else stood up and opposed it! She said she talked to a few people who were for the restrictions and they said if it had said generic "dangerous dog" instead of pit bull, they would have accepted that no problem! If someone had submitted a fair dangerous dog act instead it would have passed! She's going to try to do a follow up story on pit bulls and how it's the owners' faults not the dogs when issues occur.

seeker
May 2nd, 2007, 07:09 PM
Having someone in the press that is not biased is a good as it is rare . But remember she works for someone and that someone is only interested in selling papers in this case . Until someone pulls rank on her keep in contact and give her proper unbiased info . But if I were you I'd be warey that she can only print what she is allowed to.

SableCollie
May 3rd, 2007, 01:57 PM
I'm still reeling from this, and then one of the local pit bull rescues contacts us to tell us that Massachusetts is considering a state-wide ban on pit bulls!!! No one is sure of the details yet, we are hoping this won't move any further BUT we are prepared to fight if it does! We would be okay with spay/neuter and microchip requirements in pit bulls...since we advocate spay/neuter anyway....but a total ban, or strict muzzling requirements, or anything like that, we will fight.

jessi76
May 3rd, 2007, 02:24 PM
....we will fight.

a good place to start would be Patrick's new site. Create a new Issue against BSL.... just a thought.

http://devalpatrick.com/issues.php

SableCollie
May 3rd, 2007, 02:30 PM
Good idea. The Globe has an article in today's paper, I'll post it. Luckily it mentions that many vets, trainers, owners are against BSL.