Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick Rabbit

valleygirl666
April 30th, 2007, 11:00 AM
We found a rabbit last fall. It is tame, so I think someone let it go, as they didn't want it anymore. We have kept it in a pen in the basement all winter, and its health has gone down hill since. Today it had a seisure. It eats well, drinks lots and I have given it lots of apples, carrots, lettuce, spinach and things like that. I have noticed lately when we pick it up that it wimpers like it is sore. It also has the runs and can't clean itself down there. I don't know how old the rabbit was when we got it, either. I thought we were doing the right thing keeping it, but now I am not sure. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, from keeping them caged up all winter. Have I done something wrong with the rabbit or maybe it is just old. It does not hop much either. We have tried to get it to chase a carrot to make it hop and it just sits there. The pen is plenty big enough for it to hop around.
If anyone has any suggestions for me, please let me know. I feel real bad thinking i have harmed the rabbit.

Hunter's_owner
April 30th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Have you tried asking a vet such questions?

In most cases, catching a wild animal is not in the animal's best interest. They are cute and all, but if they are from the wild, they belong in the wild. Now if someone let this rabbit go, chances are it would have been for the best. But if it has been sick, it will need a vet...That would be doing the best thing for the rabbit now, regardless of where it came from.

cpietra16
April 30th, 2007, 11:04 AM
I don't know anything about rabbits, but I would take him tothe vets. He may be suffering. Can you take him to see a vet?

Carnac
April 30th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Welcome to Pets.ca. Unfortunately our members are not vets and unable to address potentially serious health issues like this one. Time is critical - please contact a vet immediately. Good luck, we'll watch for an update on your pet's condition. In keeping with site policy, this thread will now be closed.