Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Octapus

Chany
April 19th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Allright now that we're talking hockey... My hubbie and I have always wondered why Detroit fans throw octapus's on the ice?
Can anyone explain?

cmt489
April 19th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Since this was the only one I did not know, I Googled it and found this explanation (I will go back and find the website - sorry!):

The Motor City's proud tradition of saluting the Detroit Red Wings with slimy creatures of the deep dates back half a century.

The first octopus landed on the ice during the Red Wings' 1952 Stanley Cup run, courtesy of a couple of lads from a local fish shop. If you know your cephalopods, you will know that an octopus has eight tentacles. In those days it took eight playoff wins to claim the Cup, hence the supposed symbolism of the gesture.

Better than why they threw rats on the ice in Florida!!

Michelle

cmt489
April 19th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Here is a better explanation from the Detroit Red Wings official website:
Detroit Home Page History (http://www.detroitredwings.com/history/octopus.asp)

Michelle

Chany
April 19th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the info Michelle. :)
But now I'm wondering why rats in Florida? :D

cmt489
April 19th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Because old stadium was infested with them and a visiting player (sorry, can't remember which one) actually killed one in the dressing room with his hockey stick. :o

Ewwwwww?!?!?!?!?!?:p

woodbyter
April 19th, 2004, 09:49 PM
I work in Detroit-however do not live anywhere near there. As for hockey fans you should be glad they don't throw anything worse than Octopuses on the ice.
I only hope the octopus are dead before being tossed onto the ice-also remember many Detroit Hocky fans have a shoe size and IQ within 2 points of each other.

chico2
April 19th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Woodbyter,we think alike:D When I saw Don Cherry with an Octopus,the first thing I thought"I hope it's not alive!"
Slimy or not,it's still an animal!!!

cmt489
April 20th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Don't worry ladies. In all my years of being a hockey fan, I have never seen anything be tossed on the ice that was alive. The octopus is from a fish store, the rats are plastic and in Vancouver the salmon is definitely dead! In any event, teams now can get a delay of game penalty for throwing things on the ice. This happened because it was getting out of control with plastic rats in Florida. Easy to transport and get into the game so everyone was doing it..... There is still no rule with respect to hats for a hat trick though.......:D

Michelle

chico2
April 20th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Bye,bye to the Canucks:p
I was going to ask about the rats,glad they were plastic:D

Bill & Bob
April 20th, 2004, 05:39 PM
I remember that story about the rat. A quick wrister to the wall finished the little rodent. That's weird that Florida even had an old building since they are a relatively new franchise. Didn't they build a new arena when they got the team there?
Oooh, Chico2, I thought something nasty when I saw you said Bye to our dear sweet Nuckies, but I held back since everyone here seems so nice and it's not a hockey site.
Actually I can't complain. The Canucks did well this year, despite the fact the Hockey Gods were against us. We weren't going all the way, and I'm glad it was a Canadian team that beat us.
Noticed you live in Ontario, and since I'm originally a Kingston boy and have lots of Make MeLaughs in one of my hockey pools I can't even chastize Toronto.
Battle of Ontario in an hour and a half. I heard the Premier, what's his name? on CBC a while ago. He played it smart and just said he hopes the best team wins. How Canadian of him.

chico2
April 20th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Oh well,a natural Leaf fan,but I have no high hopes for the Leafs,my country man Sundin is not playing,not that they can't win without him,they did last year.I just enjoy watching him:D
I know this is not a hockey Forum,but do you know there are 4 Swedish captains in the NHL,makes me pretty proud:o
Sorry about the Canucks:(