Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking for a good trainer (York Region)

farmdog
April 29th, 2007, 09:08 PM
One of my dogs is doing Schutzhund training with a trainer in my area. He is a nice guy, knowledgeable, but he only train on Sunday, less than one hour per week, which is not serious enough for my expectation.

I am looking for a good trainer to train my other dogs for protection work or any sports that have protection training related. I am not looking for a PET trainer (I can do that myself), I am looking for somebody who has knowledge and real experience, who can train my dogs to work like a real police dog, even better if she/he can get my dogs titled.

I live in King City, wouldn't mind drive to anywhere within 1 hour.

muckypup
April 30th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Have you thought about joining a schutzhund club? My club trains 3 days a week, most train at least twice a week. It is a big commitment and it is not just protection but tracking and obedience as well.

mona_b
April 30th, 2007, 10:48 AM
This sport is a huge commitment.It's also a sport that you compete in with other handlers.Also,to start SchH your dog must pass(BH) Obedience first.

I have a SchH III titled GSD.He is a retired Police Dog.He worked with my brother.He has competed in the past with him also.I also have a co-workers who have SchH III titled dogs.

This is a great sport,but it takes alot of hard work.For both handler and dog.

As muckypup stated,SchH is not just protection,there is Obedience and tracking.It comes with the sport.

You can't get even better then a Police Dog...:)

Joining a club would be a great idea.

What breed are your dogs?

farmdog
May 3rd, 2007, 10:08 AM
muckypup: Yes, I have thought about joining a Schutzhund club long time ago, but I did not have the so call "right breed" at that time.
I bought tons of books and DVDs about Schutzhund training, they give me some idea what this sport is about. I understand that it is a big commitment, I am ready for it.
Where is your club located?

mona_b: I have Dogo and Presa dogs. I will import a Belgian Malinois from Holland (KNPV program) this Summer, just for this sport.

muckypup
May 4th, 2007, 06:34 AM
I train with Toronto Sch Club, the club grounds are only about 10 mins away from me. If you are thinking about joining a club it is a good idea to visit many first, there are a few clubs within an hour of King.
www.gsscc.ca is a good source, there is a list of all the clubs in Canada and there is an info/FAQs page helpful for people new to the sport and wanting to learn more.
There is also a trial tomorrow (Sat May 5th) at the Capital City club in Markham.