Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Magna Cum Laude?

Shamrock
April 29th, 2007, 06:08 PM
A good online friend just sent me happy news of her son's upcoming graduation from a U.S. university.
In her message, " Magna Cum Laude" was highlighted in bold.
I knew this was a special and prestigious honour..but didnt actually know what it meant.:o .
A quick seach said "with high honours".. but I am still not entirely sure how this is earned.
Does this refer strictly to academic standings -the top students receive this?

Or is it more of overall achievement.. a combo of grades, personal character and contributions from the student?
Her son has overcome some serious life adversity (near fatal accident) with commendable resolve.
She is thrilled and proud, and rightly so.:highfive: A very exciting time for her boy and all their family.

I was just curious about the distinction of graduating Magna Cum Laude.
How you get it, what it signifies.. how it's used.:confused:

jiorji
April 29th, 2007, 06:10 PM
i think it's the highest graduating GPA average

the graduate is probably an A+ average

Hunter's_owner
April 29th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Yeah I think it goes by GPA. It is one of the classes of distinction used, I believe there are 3 and Magna Cum Laude is the middle, while summa cum laude is the highest distinction.
But I am not sure:shrug:

Prin
April 29th, 2007, 06:24 PM
It can also depend on the school too... Some schools have "honors" programs, where you do a couple extra courses and you get your degree "with honors"... :shrug:

It's all the same to me. :laughing:

Hunter's_owner
April 29th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Yeah it is different depending on the school. The university here offers honours, which involved more courses and an honours thesis and the degree is ranked by class (goes by GPA).

The masters program is ranked as well, but is given titles such as "with distinction"

Shamrock
April 29th, 2007, 06:26 PM
H.O.. I didnt know there were 3 different distinctions.
I've never even heard of summa cum laude..not up on this stuff at all..:o

They're all based on GPA, from the sounds of it..outstanding achievements for sure.:thumbs up

Hunter's_owner
April 29th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Yeah Shamrock, I am not up on it either really. I just remember hearing about the three classes from somewhere before. Either way, it is a great accomplishment.:thumbs up

rainbow
April 29th, 2007, 06:40 PM
I don't know anything about it but it sounds impressive....congrats to your friend's son. :highfive:

hazelrunpack
April 29th, 2007, 10:53 PM
The "cum laude" honors are conferred for GPA achievements. If you graduate from a school using a 4.0-system with a GPA of 3.8 or above, you attain the highest honors: summa cum laude. If you graduate with a 3.5 - 3.79, you're awarded magna cum laude. And if you graduate with a 3.2 - 3.49, you're awarded cum laude.

Not sure if that's a standard scale or if it can vary from school to school. Certainly, if you go to a school using a 5.0-system, the cutoffs would change...

Skryker
April 30th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Trivia time :D -courtesy of my Latin instructor.

cum laude=with shouts
magna cum laude=with great shouts
summa cum laude=with greatest shouts

Those are more literal translations, as opposed to the with praise/with great honours/with highest honors translation.

Shamrock
April 30th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks for that information, Hazel and Skryker.. Now I know..my curiousity is satisfied.:D
Earning any of these distinctions is certainly a fantastic achievement to be proud of.:thumbs up

Prin
April 30th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I'm just cum quietly then... :D

heidiho
April 30th, 2007, 09:30 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: OMG PRIN THAT IS FUNNY,I AM THE TOP ONE