Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

feeding issues

amsmom2njkz
April 29th, 2007, 06:43 AM
I have had Abraxas for 2 whole days now, and the only concern I have are his eating habbits. He thinks I should hand feed him EVERYTHING :eek:. I have put his food out and he will just look at it then look at me like well aren't you going to feed me. I am worried because he wont eat any other way. He is already too skinny, long story but the breeder took him away from the people who bought him before and he was malnurished and so on. BUT I don't want him losing weight, but I don't want to get him into the habit of hand feeding him at every meal time. What should I do????? :confused:

clm
April 29th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Have you asked the breeder they got him to eat?

Cindy

amsmom2njkz
April 29th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Yes, and I am doing it just as she did. She says to give him another day or so and if it doesn't stop then he is just trying to see what he can get away with, leave his food for one hour and if he doesn't eat it, then pick it up and feed him again at the next meal time and no treats in between and when he is hungry he will eat but if he starts to look thinner take him to the vet. I have never had a puppy who demanded to be hand fed. I would hand feed him but I don't want him to get into a habit, he is gonna be a BIG boy and that will be ALOT of food lol. So is this advice o.k.?

clm
April 29th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Sounds like a plan to me. Make sure he doesn't get any treats until after he's eaten his food though and no more handfeeding until he starts eating on his own or he'll figure he can hold out for you to hand feed him.

Cindy

amsmom2njkz
April 29th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Thank You Cindy, I will do that then and I will let ya know how it goes. :fingerscr.

tenderfoot
April 29th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Cindy - gorgeous Kees! One of my favorite breeds!

amsmom - I am a little concerned because he is so skinny. Has he been dewormed?

If you start to get worried but don't want to hand feed (I agree it would be a mistake to make this a habit), you can just sit near the bowl and occassionally put your hand in the bowl. It might be that he is used to having competition for his food and is a social eater - i.e. all of the pups around the bowl competing for food. As he begins to eat, slowly take your hand out of the bowl but remain sitting next to him. Encourage him to eat and give it a word like 'eat, good eat'. Teaching him an instruction for 'eat' can help - he should try to eat just because you said so.

I would not leave the bowl down for an hour - I would give him 10-15 minutes and if he isn't interested then the extra 45 minutes isn't going to change that. He needs to learn that the food is here now so you better eat it because it will be gone in mere minutes. You can actually create a picky eater by leaving the food down too long.

What are you feeding him? Can you try to add some yogurt? canned pumpkin? broth? Make it more inviting as you are trying to get him interested in food again.

Good luck.

amsmom2njkz
April 29th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Yes he has been dewormed. He is eating a homecooked diet excpet for the fruits, cottage cheese, and yes he gets yogurt. Plus a calcium suppliment. He did great tonight with dinner, so I am thinking maybe it was just being in a new place. :fingerscr. Our vet has been helping me plan his meals. So he did great and seemed very eager to eat tonight, lets just hope that continues.

clm
April 29th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Great news....fingers crossed that he keeps eating well for you. :fingerscr

Cindy

amsmom2njkz
April 30th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Yayyy he ate almost all his breakfast and then had a banana. Almost lunch time hope all goes well he is getting mackerel.:fingerscr He has never had that before so we will see. Thanks for all the help you guys. We appriciate it :grouphug:

amsmom2njkz
May 1st, 2007, 04:08 AM
I figured him out.....He doesn't like his food hot or warm:shrug: I have to prepare his meals a few hours in advance and let them cool and I have been making everything a little softer than normal and he is eating like a champ, even asking for more when his food is all gone. I am so relieved, I will have him fattened up in no time :D . Thanks again you guys for all the support and advice.

clm
May 1st, 2007, 08:21 AM
So as long as everything is mashed up and room temperature, he's a happy camper. Well that's not too much to ask I guess :p

Wonderful news that he's eating for you now.

Cindy