Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi, I'm new here...

cammilla
April 28th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Hello everyone! I'm new here, and the mom of a one year old english pointer, oliver. he is liver & white, and so full of himself. his pet sibling is oz, our 5 year old barn cat. they coexist very well, despite oliver's puppy enthusiasm. i hope to find other pointer pet owners who have weathered the first year storm that is pointer puppyhood. it sure has been interesting!

Frenchy
April 28th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Welcome to pets.ca Camilla , we would looove to see pictures of Oliver and the kitty.

cammilla
April 28th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Hey! I'd love to, just as soon as i can figure out how to!

Rottielover
April 28th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Welcome to the site, as frenchy said, we love pics

rainbow
May 2nd, 2007, 02:50 AM
Welcome to the forum. To post pics go, click reply and scroll down to "Additional Options" and click on "Manage Attachments" then follow instructions to upload from your computer. Looking forward to seeing pics of Oliver and Oz. :D

hazelrunpack
May 2nd, 2007, 09:51 AM
Hey, welcome to the forum, Camilla!

I have six "hairy pointers" (also often mistaken for "long-haired dalmations", but actually English setters) and for a while they were all under the age of three together. he he he I perfectly understand about that first year and puppy enthusiasm...and you still have 2 or 3 years of puppyhood to look forward to... :D The energy declines so gradually, you don't even notice it's passing till after it's gone...then you'll look back fondly on those 'formative' years... :laughing:

Good luck with the pictures. I'm looking forward to pics of Oliver and his kitty. :thumbs up

cammilla
May 4th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Hi again! I took these today, while Oliver played with his toys on the deck, and Oz watched from the roof. Learning how to post pictures is a real trip! My husband had to cut them down by 2/3rds to fit.
Oliver learned to multi-task today. He learned that he could hold his big rubber bone toy in his mouth while he batted around his 10 inch plastic ball. I tell you this because he only has two toys that he hasn't managed to destroy, or eat. The rubber bone has lasted two months (a record) and the ball, which is way too big to fit in his mouth is about a month old. I'll be glad when he stops eathing EVERYTHING!! Is that a universal Pointer problem, or did I just luck out?
At any rate, thanks for your interest...hope to hear from all of you soon.
Cammilla

cpietra16
May 4th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Nice looking family. WOW very long legs:D

Frenchy
May 4th, 2007, 08:00 PM
:laughing: cat on the roof , cute. Oliver is dreamy too !

hazelrunpack
May 4th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Oliver and Oz are gorgeous! I love that leggy look of pointers--so dignified and regal (she says as Oliver takes apart another toy :D).

The only toys our setters haven't destroyed are Kongs of various kinds and a rubber doggie tire. :shrug: I think it's just a "young dog" thing. Eventually they get bored of toy destruction and try other occupations--like napping in the sun. :D Or digging up mole runnels. :frustrated: Or eating wooden gates :eek:

Oh, just ignore hazel...her dogs are brats! :crazy: I'm sure Oliver will mature into the best-behaved boy ever! :thumbs up

rainbow
May 5th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Awesome fur family....they are both gorgeous. :lovestruck:

angeldogs
May 5th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Good looking family.Oliver is a good looking boy.Oz is cute.on the roof:laughing:

Prin
May 5th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Aww, what a cute furfamily! Welcome to the board!:)

RolandsMom
May 5th, 2007, 01:59 PM
:lovestruck: cute pics! welcome to the forum.

cammilla
May 5th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks, ya'll!! I guess I'll keep 'em...

The only toys our setters haven't destroyed are Kongs of various kinds and a rubber doggie tire. I think it's just a "young dog" thing. Eventually they get bored of toy destruction and try other occupations--like napping in the sun. Or digging up mole runnels. Or eating wooden gates

hazelrunpack,
The kongs lasted Oliver less than an hour...the only toys I've found that he has trouble destroying are the Quirkies Dog Toys...his is the big red bone. It used to have a noise thing inside, which he managed to dislodge, but the acutal rubber he just can't conquer. As for the ball, it's called, aptly, The Almost Indestructible Ball, and so far it is. It has an opening that you put water or something in, so that when it rolls, it zig zags along. He can't get his big mouth around it, so it's safe. But it infuriates him that he can't destroy it, so he either spends his time growling at it, or barking at it. Such fun!
Digging doesn't seem to be his thing...his is all oral. he will chew anything he can get to (table legs, bedding, crate, couch, sticks, the list is endless).
Thank goodness I only saw adult pointers when we went to be interviewed as prospective parents. The breeder's four adults were exactly what we wanted...quiet, calm, loving, happy, couch potatoes. I swear if I had seen the various puppy stages I'd have been scared to death to get one. And now I can't imagine being without him...the little poop!
Cammilla