Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

PETA encourages Dorchester County BSL...

pitgrrl
April 28th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Really, what is PETA thinking?

http://www.peta.org/mc/NewsItem.asp?id=9759
‘Brian’s Law’ Could Prevent Future Tragedies, Says Group

For Immediate Release:
April 27, 2007

Daphna Nachminovitch 757-622-7382

Dorchester County, S.C. — This morning, PETA sent an urgent letter to Dorchester County Council Chair Larry Hargett and other council members urging them to follow the lead of dozens of other jurisdictions across the country by banning or strictly regulating pit bull ownership. The appeal follows news reports of an April 23 incident in which a pit bull fatally attacked 1 ½-year-old Brian Palmer in his mother’s home. News sources state that the dog—who also killed a family cat just weeks earlier—was typically confined to a utility room in the home before she escaped on Monday.

PETA is asking the Dorchester County Council to ban the acquisition of pit bulls and strictly regulate grandfathered ownership of pit bulls currently living in homes. PETA—which has offered to assist the county in drafting the legislation—also suggests that the ordinance be named "Brian’s Law" in honor of the victim.

PETA points out that that its offices are inundated with calls about pit bulls who injure and sometimes kill people after being neglected, abused, or used for fighting. Usually, people who acquire pit bulls see them as living weapons and put the animals in heavy chains, taunt them into aggressive behavior, and leave them out in all weather extremes in order to "toughen" them.

Communities across the country—including Denver, Colo.; Dade County, Fla.; Kansas City, Kan.; and Boston, Mass.—have banned or regulated pit bull ownership. Because unsterilized dogs are almost three times more likely to attack than dogs who have been spayed or neutered, California recently passed a law allowing jurisdictions within the state to mandate the spaying and neutering of pit bulls. Continuous chaining is also a major cause of aggression in pit bulls and other breeds. Dogs are pack animals, and they become frustrated when they are chained or confined alone. This frustration often turns into aggression.

"More and more communities are realizing that the best way to prevent another tragic death like Brian’s is to enact a ban on acquiring pit bulls," says PETA Director Daphna Nachminovitch. "We urge Dorchester County to join their ranks by immediately introducing this urgently needed legislation."

PETA’s letter to the Dorchester County Council is available upon request. For more information, please visit HelpingAnimals.com.

Prin
April 28th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Peta staying true to form.:frustrated:

pitgrrl
April 28th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Oh come on, don't ya know the only way to "save the pit bulls" is to do away with them all together? :rolleyes:

Hunter's_owner
April 28th, 2007, 01:53 PM
I thought PETA was supposed to be "People for the ETHICAL treatment of animals"...

WTH are they trying to do.:confused: Ethically that doesn't make sense, but neither does most of what they do:yell:

Prin
April 28th, 2007, 03:31 PM
They should change their name to Propaganda Pretending to be about the Ethical Treatment of Animals. PPAETA.:D JMO!

Hunter's_owner
April 28th, 2007, 05:40 PM
You know what, imho, it is a lot closer to being what they are really about:o

angeldogs
April 28th, 2007, 06:26 PM
With the pitbull ban.if someone already has and the dog has to be PTS.for old age medical reason.does that mean they are not allowed another pit.i don't know how it all works.

Prin
April 28th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Maybe post that question separately so the pitty peeps can see it... I'm not sure what happens, if they can adopt one or something... :shrug: I don't think so though.

angeldogs
April 28th, 2007, 06:57 PM
ok sounds good.

seeker
April 28th, 2007, 07:40 PM
First, Peta made it very clear to me a couple of years ago that they support BSL against pitbull breeds . I probably still have the letters and a copy of my last one stateing that they take me off their mailing list because from that point on my money will be going to anti BSL organizations.

Second , if you had a pit before the ban and it dies you are allowed to replace it . You can never have more pits than you had when the ban went into effect .

Prin
April 28th, 2007, 07:49 PM
That's cool that you can have another... At least...:o

technodoll
April 28th, 2007, 07:53 PM
PETA points out that that its offices are inundated with calls about pit bulls who injure and sometimes kill people after being neglected, abused, or used for fighting. Usually, people who acquire pit bulls see them as living weapons and put the animals in heavy chains, taunt them into aggressive behavior, and leave them out in all weather extremes in order to "toughen" them.

well... it's true for the most part.... unfortunately you cannot regulate human stupidity so the next logical step is regulate the dogs. too bad it doesn't work though... "can't get a pit? get another bullie breed, a presa, a neo, whatever". it'll never end as long as stupid human beings extend their weaponry and entertainment activities to animals, on all levels. if only circuses could be banned, for example :frustrated:

Prin
April 28th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Ban one breed, you may as well ban them all.

technodoll
April 28th, 2007, 07:57 PM
yeah prin, i agree. it doesn't work. gotta ban stupid humans instead :yell:

babyrocky1
April 28th, 2007, 10:56 PM
With the pitbull ban.if someone already has and the dog has to be PTS.for old age medical reason.does that mean they are not allowed another pit.i don't know how it all works.
No, the way the ban was written, IF it stands, doesnt allow for a person to own more pit bulls than they owned on August 29th 2005. So, a person whoes "pit bull dies :sad: CAN adopt another "legal" pt bull meaning one that was 'owned' prior to August 29th 2005. or born shortly after... I think three months.....? Its all up in the air now anyways until we get some clarification on June 14th, if even that clears it up.

babyrocky1
April 28th, 2007, 11:04 PM
First, Peta made it very clear to me a couple of years ago that they support BSL against pitbull breeds . I probably still have the letters and a copy of my last one stateing that they take me off their mailing list because from that point on my money will be going to anti BSL organizations.

Second , if you had a pit before the ban and it dies you are allowed to replace it . You can never have more pits than you had when the ban went into effect .
Sorry Seeker, I didnt see your reply when I posted... and speaking of Peta, I mean they might want to be seen as singling out Bullie Breeds, but they dont believe in people owning "pets" period... thats my understanding of it, but they dont like to put that out too much cause Im sure all the misguided celebs that support Peta have their own beloved pets... and another thing, "usually people who acquire pit bulls" Kind of a generalization isnt it....I guess since this thing started I have met about 100 pittie owners... So, I would have to say that "usually" they are regular folks who love their family pets. And often even more than the "average pet owner" cause we have to put up with so much more "BULL' than regular owners, just like what we just read from PETA. If we ever get this bill diposed of I would love to organize a pittie co-op demo against them!

angeldogs
April 29th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the answer.atleast you will be able to get another one.

seeker
April 29th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Sorry Seeker, I didnt see your reply when I posted... and speaking of Peta, I mean they might want to be seen as singling out Bullie Breeds, but they dont believe in people owning "pets" period... thats my understanding of it, but they dont like to put that out too much cause Im sure all the misguided celebs that support Peta have their own beloved pets... and another thing, "usually people who acquire pit bulls" Kind of a generalization isnt it....I guess since this thing started I have met about 100 pittie owners... So, I would have to say that "usually" they are regular folks who love their family pets. And often even more than the "average pet owner" cause we have to put up with so much more "BULL' than regular owners, just like what we just read from PETA. If we ever get this bill diposed of I would love to organize a pittie co-op demo against them!

No problem babyrocky .I had forgot to point out that the dog must be legal anyway .
Also Peta ,the supposed friends of the animals very often go way too far in their seemingly misguided attempt to protect the animals .It is directives like this that ultimatly will be their downfall . When they start losing animal lovers like us by turning on them it is a sign they have started going in the wrong direction.
In their comments to me through the letters I mentioned previously it seemed thatt hey believe the best way to stop cruelty to Pitbulls is to eliminate the breed . My corespondence with them went back and forth first with email then with letters .The woman I dealt with clearly stated that this was the opinion of Peta and that she stood by it. They are no better than the polititians and other "haters" that want to eliminate our breed for whatever reason.
Take a look at the other post about dog legislation that I posted last week where a town in Washington tried to ban any dog over 30lbs. I wonder if Peta supports this too ?

pitgrrl
April 29th, 2007, 08:05 AM
I think the following is worth pointing out when trying to figure out PETA's logic, or complete lack thereof, when it comes to pit bulls...

Open Forum
Controlling an animal as deadly as a weapon
Ingrid Newkirk
Wednesday, June 8, 2005

Most people have no idea that at many animal shelters across the country, any pit bull that comes through the front door doesn't go out the back door alive. From California to New York, many shelters have enacted policies requiring the automatic destruction of the huge and ever-growing number of "pits" they encounter. This news shocks and outrages the compassionate dog-lover.

Here's another shocker: People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, the very organization that is trying to get you to denounce the killing of chickens for the table, foxes for fur or frogs for dissection, supports the shelters' pit-bull policy, albeit with reluctance. We further encourage a ban on breeding pit bulls.

The pit bull's ancestor, the Staffordshire terrier, is a human concoction, bred in my native England, I'm ashamed to say, as a weapon. These dogs were designed specifically to fight other animals and kill them, for sport. Hence the barrel chest, the thick hammer-like head, the strong jaws, the perseverance and the stamina. Pits can take down a bull weighing in at over a thousand pounds, so a human being a tenth of that weight can easily be seriously hurt or killed.

Pit bulls are perhaps the most abused dogs on the planet. These days, they are kept for protection by almost every drug dealer and pimp in every major city and beyond. You can drive into any depressed area and see them being used as cheap burglar alarms, wearing heavy logging chains around their necks (they easily break regular collars and harnesses), attached to a stake or metal drum or rundown doghouse without a floor and with holes in the roof. Bored juveniles sic them on cats, neighbors' small dogs and even children.

In the PETA office, we have a file drawer chock-full of accounts of attacks in which these ill-treated dogs with names like "Murder" and "Homicide" have torn the faces and fingers off infants and even police officers trying to serve warrants. Before I co-founded PETA, I served as the chief of animal-disease control and director of the animal shelter in the District of Columbia for many years. Over and over again, I waded into ugly situations and pulled pit bulls from people who beat and starved them, or chained them to metal drums as "guard" dogs, or trained them to attack people and other animals. It is this abuse, and the tragedy that comes from it, that motivates me.

Those who argue against a breeding ban and the shelter euthanasia policy for pit bulls are naive, as shown by the horrifying death of Nicholas Faibish, the San Francisco 12-year-old who was mauled by his family's pit bulls.

Tales like this abound. I have scars on my leg and arm from my own encounter with a pit. Many are loving and will kiss on sight, but many are unpredictable. An unpredictable Chihuahua is one thing, an unpredictable pit another.

People who genuinely care about dogs won't be affected by a ban on pit- bull breeding. They can go to the shelter and save one of the countless other breeds and lovable mutts sitting on death row. We can only stop killing pits if we stop creating new ones. Legislators, please take note.

Ingrid Newkirk is president of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (www.peta.org) and the author of "Making Kind Choices" (St. Martin's Griffin, 2005).

Saradog
April 29th, 2007, 03:25 PM
If memory serves, Peta also supports mandatory spay/neuter, which would eventually wipe out ALL dogs, cats, ferrets, etc.

babyrocky1
April 30th, 2007, 01:26 PM
If memory serves, Peta also supports mandatory spay/neuter, which would eventually wipe out ALL dogs, cats, ferrets, etc.
Exactly, I dont know were it can be located in their policy, dont know or want to know how there organizational strucutre works BUT I really think they are getting on the band wagon on Pitties, just because such a "banned wagon" exists... they would be more than happy to ban all dogs and cats.

Arent all dogs breeds other than wolves a "human creataion" ?????

oooooh I hate PETA:yell:

seeker
April 30th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Pitgirl ,that letter you posted from Peta is pretty much true to form for them .
I wonder if the dogs they mentioned the names of gave themselves those names or did a bad owner give it to them and then train them or maybe the dog trained itself ? I don't know .
I have pit bulls that are named Zelda,Gordie,Keira and Madeira . I named and trained them .They like to play and run and sometimes they scrap a bit but I do not allow nor did I train them to hang off tree branches ,I never put a cat or a puppy in a bag and told them to kill it or poked sticks at them through their cages. I never even whipped them for not being agressive enough ,oh and I never drowned one of my dogs when they didn't show agression or even breed a brother to a sister just because both were agressive and muscular .It seems according to Peta that I could have done all that to any breed as long as it wasn't a pitbull and still had a nice dog .
Maybe I missed out on all that owner/dog "fun" or maybe my dogs are not Pitbulls after all because all they want to do is run,play ,lick my and strangers faces , curl up beside me or sit on my knee when I watch tv.,come for rides in the truck with me incase a person in a drivethru decides they are cute and gives them a biscuit.
I could go on but Peta isn't looking and I am directing this at them not anyone here so I will not waste any more time with this just like I will not waste any money by donating it to them anymore.

Schwinn
May 1st, 2007, 08:28 AM
There was a widely circulated story that during Katrina, when PETA was "rescuing" dogs, they were killing pitbulls. They deny it, but the funny thing is, nobody can seem to find any of the pitbulls they "rescued".

As for that twit Ingrid Newkirk, as I've said before, I'd like to tie her to a chair and slap her silly with a raw steak. Maybe send her a picture of Daisy eating Iams out of a KFC bucket.

honey72791
May 4th, 2007, 01:51 PM
If Peta thinks that nothing should breed then why don't they all just go get they're tubes tied, or have a vasectomy? Human children can be far more cruel than any animal, especially in the wrong hands(and god knows there are far to many wrong hands out there.) So we should just stop having them completely, or put a limit on how many children a person can have, and then just kill the rest? I agree that if you don't plan on breeding for the sweet disposition, or amazing intellegents, then go get your dog or cat fixed, there are way to many animals out there who need homes for people to be creating a bigger problem(I should know), But peta is just getting ridiculous about this.:mad: :evil: :yell: :frustrated: :2cents: I though they were an animal rights group? They're turning out to be jus another 'chairty' that takes you money, makes you sad, and gains just a little more profit...

Prin
May 4th, 2007, 06:25 PM
That's a harsh post, Honey, but I like it. :D :laughing: :highfive:

seeker
May 5th, 2007, 07:36 AM
If Peta thinks that nothing should breed then why don't they all just go get they're tubes tied, or have a vasectomy? Human children can be far more cruel than any animal, especially in the wrong hands(and god knows there are far to many wrong hands out there.) So we should just stop having them completely, or put a limit on how many children a person can have, and then just kill the rest? I agree that if you don't plan on breeding for the sweet disposition, or amazing intellegents, then go get your dog or cat fixed, there are way to many animals out there who need homes for people to be creating a bigger problem(I should know), But peta is just getting ridiculous about this.:mad: :evil: :yell: :frustrated: :2cents: I though they were an animal rights group? They're turning out to be jus another 'chairty' that takes you money, makes you sad, and gains just a little more profit...

Generaly I agree with much of this . Peta is not acting like any other animal support or rights advocate group . They are more and more seeming to support a more political view of things in a more or less "draconian" way.
By this I mean they support taking animals rights{a right to exist in this case} away in a similar fashion that many free world governments are eroding human rights.