Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mother's Day Kitten

ptpam
April 27th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Hi,
I am a first time kitten owner which I recieved from my son as an early Mother's Day Present. He felt that I wanted a kitten but I never asked for one so I think he wanted one! I have welcomed the kitten whose name is Lewie. Apparently he got the kitten who is approximately 11 weeks old from someone in the paper. He's a Himalayan Kitten but the seller reported the kitten has not had any shots and informed us that the kitten didn't need to go to the vet until 6 months! I've been reading articles and it seems I should take it to the vet now! Can anyone give me their opinion on what I should do? I'm not sure what he paid for the kitten because he claims it's from the "Mother's Day Fairy"! Any input would be GREATLY appreciated becuase I never had a kitten or cat! THANKS! New Kitten Owner

rainbow
April 27th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Your kitten needs to see a vet asap. He should have had vaccinations and been wormed three weeks ago.

BTW, welcome to the forum and we'd love to see pics of Lewie.

LM1313
April 28th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Yep, take him to the vet for a check up and deworming. :) He should also be neutered, either now or when he gets older. Personally, I'm a big fan of pediatric neutering for cats. My boys were done at eight weeks old and had recovered by the next day. They never seemed to notice that any "parts" were missing. ;)

Congrats on your new family member!

chico2
April 28th, 2007, 06:38 AM
I do not encourage giving a kitten/puppy as a gift,but I am glad it's working out.
Like everyone has mentioned,he needed a vet yesterday,it's always the first thing you do with a kitten wherever you get him from.
I also encourage early neutering,my vet believed 6-8month was the best,with the result I have a neutered male cat who sprays.
Also,make sure you feed him good quality food,not grocery-store brands,a petsupply store has great choices,especially now when new foods are added daily to the recall-list:yell:
As a new kitten-owner,if you have an unethical vet,he/she might suggest declawing,please don't,it's a terrible mutilation,buy or make the kitten a cat-tree and trim his nails,very carefully,he will soon get used to it as a routine.
We would love to see a picture of this little ball of fur:cat:

kashtin's kin
April 30th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Lots of good advice from some always helpful BB 'regulars' (I've gotten tons of support and encouragement here :thumbs up ). I can't really add anything, except have fun with your new furfriend (and keep the kitty indoors, if at all possible!). If you have further issues/comments/questions, never hesitate to post :D .

rainbow
May 2nd, 2007, 02:33 AM
How is Lewie? Do you have an update? :)

babykitten
March 3rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
yes what ya need to do is take the kitten to the vet to get exam then later his shots and dewormed too most kittens and puppies have worms! after you can make an appointment to get the kitten fixed at 6 months good luck :thumbs up

Frenchy
March 3rd, 2008, 09:20 PM
yes what ya need to do is take the kitten to the vet to get exam then later his shots and dewormed too most kittens and puppies have worms! after you can make an appointment to get the kitten fixed at 6 months good luck :thumbs up

babykitten , could you please take a look at the thread's date before you post , this is almost a year old !!