Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The obscure outer limits of the television universe

Rick C
April 27th, 2007, 04:39 PM
So, the 85 channel satellite universe is becoming somewhat interesting . . . . I'm just wondering what strange and rarely seen TV shows in the more obscure outskirts you might be watching.

A few for me revolve around real-estate, typically Brit shows, about buying second property in places like Tasmania or Puerto Vallarta, or dragging clients around to view three or four properties in England that might fit their tastes, or dressing up a property for sale in a foreign land that's been an albatross to this point. All interesting.

Hospital emergency room shows . . . . holy tamole, you feel like shedding a tear every hour!! A shameless voyeur in tragedy. Sandra Bullock is addicted to these as well.

It's not obscure, but Dancing With The Stars is interesting . . . . but then I'm a strange guy who will watch ballroom dancing for an hour on PBS. How 'bout dem Bears!!!

And, of course, few people I know watch Battlestar Galactica, in spite of its critical accolades.

What shows are you watching that no one else is?

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Skryker
April 27th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I love those crazy British real estate shows, too, as well as the Canadian versions about buying and selling property. :D It's peeking into other's houses without having the nerve to go to Open Houses when you're not in the market for a new house!

Other shows I/we watch that no one else seems to: Supernatural and Jericho. I know that Space runs a few that I'd like to watch but I keep forgetting all about them. :o

Prin
April 27th, 2007, 08:46 PM
When I first got my satellite, I loved watching Animal ER on Alberta's Access station... But I don't see it anymore... It was cool to watch the surgeries and things...

Otherwise, I'm not too adventurous in my tv watching...:o

Frenchy
April 27th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I don't know if these are obscure but I loved "Six feet under" and "Arrested Developpement" Guess no too many people watch the second one cuz it was cancelled after only one season. But they have reruns every week nights at 11:00 :thumbs up

badger
April 27th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Judge Judy...

gomez
April 27th, 2007, 11:20 PM
What about The House Doctor? She is Canadian lady, Anne Maurice, who goes around the UK telling people what's worng with their house and how to change it to make it more saleable, but she is ruthless! Very funny -

UK loves those shows...

Byrd
April 28th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Other shows I/we watch that no one else seems to: Supernatural and Jericho.

:laughing: I love both Supernatural and Jericho, I thought I was the only one watching them.

Skryker
April 28th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Too funny, Byrd! I knew that someone else must be watching or they would have been cancelled. :thumbs up

Rick C
April 28th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I do watch veterinarian shows . . . . . and I just had to ask our own veterinarian a few months ago if 1) she watches them too and 2) if she prefers the Brit versus US/Canadian ones.

She said she watches the Brit vet shows because she can scream at the screen for them to practice better hygenic practices for their surguries (face masks, etc).

EDIT: An obscure show I'll tune in once in awhile is "The Real Housewives Of Orange County." I think it's on Showcase and their disclaimer is " . . . . . for a mature audience, even if it seems very immature" or something like that. It can be surprisingly tender - as when one of the wives under documentary scrutiny has to face a recurrence of cancer - and remarkably shallow.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

trippincherri
May 3rd, 2007, 01:29 PM
I watch The Real Housewives of Orange County too lol!!
It is VERY shallow...makes me sick how some of these rich people handle their money and they are SUCH drama queens.
But there are some emotionally satisfying parts as well.

I love Animal Planet, especially Cell Dogs and Animal Precinct.
And all those shows on TLC about peope with deformities and obesity...I am so interested in those, fascinating what some people live with and it kind of humbles me about my own situation. :o

For girly shows I watch What I Like About You, I don't even know anyone at all who watches this show lol...it is kind of teenagerish but I still like it lol.

Lastly I am ADDICTED to the Discovery Health channel. I mean ADDICTED.
All those shows are good: Dr.G Medical Examiner, Mystery Diagnosis, The First 48 Hours.
My bf thinks I am weird because I am so interested in sickness and autopsies....ah well somebodies gotta watch em!

Schwinn
May 7th, 2007, 11:05 AM
For me, I'm addicted to car shows on Spike. I watch the Powerblock on the weekend (four shows, Horsepower TV, Muscle Car, Extreme 4x4 and Trucks). I was addicted to Trucks when the old host was there, Stacey (a guy). He'd build up a truck, take it out for a test drive, and giggle like a school girl. Mrs. Schwinn says she misses Stacey too (though she wasn't crazy about the show). She figured he was me with a mullet and mechanical talent.

I'm also addicted to Bull Run on Spike TV. It's a navigational rally with automotive challenges. I mean, one challenge was to use the back end of your exotic sports car to shatter a pain of glass. How can you not love that??

Oh, and we're big Jericho fans as well.

Skryker
May 7th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Yay!!! More people watching Jericho!

It's been tugging away on the old heartstrings lately,eh?

SableCollie
May 8th, 2007, 07:53 PM
We watch Jericho in my house too!

We have digital cable, I think we have about 500 channels! the channels go up into the 900's :eek: !!! but we don't get all of the movie channels/sports channels/etc, because those are the "premium channels" and you have to pay extra for each one. But with so many channels, I get to see a lot of weird shows, especially in the wee hours of the morning!

LynLyn
May 8th, 2007, 11:50 PM
I LOVE what i like about you!! it's one of my faves, and i also watch the real housewives of the oc too, it's totally shallow, and i absolutely adore it!