Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why your dog wags its tail with a bias to the left or right

Rick C
April 27th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Scientists wanted to know what tail-wagging was telling you.

The story in the New York Times this morning.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/24/science/24wag.html?em&ex=1177819200&en=984105b0cba4a903&ei=5087%0A

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

technodoll
April 27th, 2007, 09:42 AM
hunh. what about dogs who have curly buns? :confused: my dogs don't wag left-to-right, they just pat themselves on the back with their tails... :D

Lukka'sma
April 27th, 2007, 04:51 PM
My dog wags her entire body. Both the front and hind ends wrap around in a semi- circle and touch. Back and forth, from side to side. Her tail sometimes goes in a circle rather than from side to side also.

Puppyluv
April 27th, 2007, 04:54 PM
My dog wags her entire body. Both the front and hind ends wrap around in a semi- circle and touch. Back and forth, from side to side. Her tail sometimes goes in a circle rather than from side to side also.
Ditto. She's either in a full-body wag, or else she has a propellor attached to her bum. Maybe clock-wise and counter-clockwise could substitute for left and right,:D

Skryker
April 27th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I love the propeller routine! I have noticed a left/right bias when their tails are moving slowly, though-the tail makes a farther sweep over to one side and a shorter motion to the other. Of course, who can tell once they get excited? :D Then it's circles and whole butt wagging! :laughing:

rainbow
April 27th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I agree with all of the above descriptions. :D

technodoll
April 27th, 2007, 06:18 PM
and with some docked dogs, you can never tell either eh? they have to wag their whole bodies! :rolleyes:

Prin
April 27th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I saw it on the news yesterday or the day before, and they showed a dog running counter clockwise around a park, and they said "See he's happy, his tail is to the right". Well, yeah. Running in that direction really quickly would probably send the tail to the right, i.e. the outside of the circle the dog is running in...

The problem is everybody assumes all breeds have the same language, and they don't. For example, throw a boxer in a dog park and you see right away that the boxer is very misunderstood and is speaking a different way.

jawert1
April 28th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Neither of my dogs favors the right side of anything, they wag with their whole bodies. It's when they're wagging only with their tail, then I know something's up. It's a totally subjective study, one that's fascinating for sure, but I seriously disagree with the overall statistical logic the author and experimentors are assigning the behaviour.

Byrd
April 28th, 2007, 01:56 PM
We have three whole inches of happiness! But, she always seems to start her wags to the right.