Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

DVP Natural Balance,Breaking Voluntary Recall News: Thursday, April 26th, 2007

Furryland
April 26th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Breaking Voluntary Recall News: Thursday, April 26th, 2007
Our canned food manufacturer, American Nutrition, from Ogden Utah just informed us this afternoon that they are recalling all canned products made in their plant that contain rice protein concentrate. American Nutrition continued by telling us that they added this ingredient to four of our canned food products without our knowledge and consent. The four products involved are:

Chicken Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
Lamb Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
Beef Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
Ocean Fish Formula Canned Cat Food 3 oz & 6 oz

There have been no illnesses reported related to feeding these formulas, however, to comply with the American Nutrition recall of the four products, we are pulling all dates and batches of these four formulas. We also ask that our customers return unused product for a full credit to their store.

To make sure that this does not happen in the future, we are demanding from each of our co-manufacturers daily production record of all of our formulas before they are shipped to us and written certification of no rice protein concentrate or any other deviations in our formulas. We have reviewed all of our other products and determined that they are free of rice protein concentrate and that all of our other product labels are accurate.

Products NOT involved in the recall are:

DRY DOG & CAT FOOD FORMULAS:
Ultra Premium Formula Dry Dog Food
Reduced Calorie Formula Dry Dog Food
Ultra Premium Formula Dry Cat Food
Reduced Calorie Formula Dry Cat Food
Sweet Potato & Fish Dry Dog Food
Potato & Duck Formula Dry Dog Food
Organic Formula Dry Dog Food
Vegetarian Formula Dry Dog Food

DOG TREATS
Roll-A-Rounds Dog Treats
Sweet Potato & Fish Formula Treats
Potato & Duck Formula Treats
Crunch-E-Bones TreatsDOG FOOD ROLLS
Turkey Formula Dog Food Rolls
Beef Formula Dog Food Rolls
Lamb Formula Dog Food Rolls

CANNED DOG AND CAT FOODS
Liver Formula canned dog food
Duck and Potato Formula canned dog food
Sweet Potato & Fish canned dog food
Eatables Irish Stew canned dog food
Eatables Hobo Chili canned dog food
Eatables Southern Style Dumplinís with Gravy
Chinese Take-Out W/Sauce
Ultra Formula canned cat food
Turkey & Giblets Formula canned cat food
Venison & Green Pea canned cat food
Chicken &Liver Pate Formula canned cat food
Tuna w/ Shrimp Formula canned cat food
Salmon Formula canned cat food
Indoor Cat Formula canned cat food

FROZEN DOG FOOD FORMULAS
Lamb Formula Frozen Loaf
Beef Formula Frozen Loaf
Chicken Formula Frozen Loaf
Raw Chicken Formula
Raw Beef Formula

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.naturalbalance.net

Prin
April 26th, 2007, 08:22 PM
:sad: :sad:

Prin
April 26th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Why Natural Balance would choose a company who's own foods are so terrible to produce their "high quality" foods is beyond comprehension.

Cooked Yellow Corn, Beef and Bone Meal, Soybean Meal, Cooked Wheat, Wheat Mill Run, Animal Fat (Preserved with BHA), Poultry By-Product Meal, Digest of Poultry By-Products, Fish Meal, Tomato Pomace, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin A-Acetate, D-Activated Animal Sterol (Source of Vitamin D3), Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine, Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Copper Oxide, Choline Chloride, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite.
http://www.anibrands.com/index.html

SableCollie
April 26th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Ugh, that food is so disgusting. :sick: I know, I can't believe Natural Balance trusts that company to make their foods. How are they sure that low-quality (or rather *no-quality*) ingredients aren't accidentally ending up in their foods when no one's watching?

clm
April 27th, 2007, 12:03 AM
They should have their own quality control people who receive certificates of analysis on each and every lot they receive from any manufacturer, whether it's a 3rd party manufacturer or one of their own plants. Then their quality control people review the documentation, send samples to labs for analysis and once satisfied release the product for distribution.
That's how true quality control is supposed to work for products sold for human consumption, pet food companies are going to have to get up to speed for sure.
Quality audits should be done for every manufacturing site they use as well.

Cindy

rainbow
April 27th, 2007, 12:52 PM
There are only a handful of plants that manufacture pet foods so therefore multiple foods are made at the same plant.

I think the premium/holistic companies should at least have their own dedicated lines there that they alone are responsible for. I also think that they should start building their own plants.

Ella's Mom
April 27th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Why Natural Balance would choose a company who's own foods are so terrible to produce their "high quality" foods is beyond comprehension.

http://www.anibrands.com/index.html

I agree!!:evil: This whole thing has me so agitated

wmarcello
April 27th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Atta boy dog food
Cooked Yellow Corn, Beef and Bone Meal, Soybean Meal, Cooked Wheat, Wheat Mill Run, Animal Fat (Preserved with BHA), Poultry By-Product Meal, Digest of Poultry By-Products, Fish Meal, Tomato Pomace, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin A-Acetate, D-Activated Animal Sterol (Source of Vitamin D3), Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine, Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Copper Oxide, Choline Chloride, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite.

All I can say is yikes. :eek:

That stuff doesn't even vaguely resemble food.

Prin
April 27th, 2007, 07:17 PM
I think the premium/holistic companies should at least have their own dedicated lines there that they alone are responsible for. I also think that they should start building their own plants.They could/should get together with food companies of the same caliber for a company too, though, if they don't have enough money for their own.

In this case, it's not like making Ol' Roy next to NB. The food I posted is the company's food. Like they make their own, and the rest piggy back. So if you look at the quality of their own, how can you assume they'll respect the quality of yours?

rainbow
April 27th, 2007, 10:01 PM
I agree 100%. I would also think with the money they make they would be able to afford their own plants.

Furryland
April 28th, 2007, 08:41 AM
I think, and maybe i'm off my rocker :laughing:

That the majority of sales with these food companies is their dry foods, not their wet, therefore they outsource the wet foods to maintain profit values?

My thinking came from Nutro stating that something like 90% of their products were not effected by recalls leaving me to think that the majority of their sales are from their dry foods, treats etc not their wet foods.
:2cents:

Prin
April 28th, 2007, 09:33 AM
good point. The canned is just a side project for many, I guess.