Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wondering if it's the right time to feed raw...

Colubridz
April 26th, 2007, 01:34 PM
It's been a week and a bit into a raw diet when my mom brought up the point that during the summer when we will be doing a bit of travelling and that Duke may need to be kenneled for a week max while we are away and the point of whether or not a kennel would feed raw came up. Obviously I could simply pre package all of his meals and have them keep it in a fridge however the kennel is a vet office that is strongly oppossed to raw.

I could find another kennel however there is an indoor offlesh dog park nearby that does pet transport and is willing to pick him up every day from the kennel and then bring him to there facilities for dog daycare for the day so he can run around and play with the other dogs before going back to the kennel at night (where they do walk the dogs).

As well Duke will be coming on many camping trips with my friends and I throughout the summer and having to lag around a cooler with his food plus extra ice would be not only inconvient but I'd worry about the smell attracting wildlife.

I do love the idea of raw and even though salmonella has been on my mind constantly especially after reading this study

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=339295

This study helped but my mind at ease and also directly uses evidence from the first anti- raw study to prove that even though 80% of the dogs fed a raw diet in the first study had stools that were positive for salmonella none displayed clinical signs. In addition in the second paper where a study was done to try and infect dogs with salmonella ( I know it's pretty sad:() dogs had to be directly injected into the blood stream with a full dose of salmonella strains to become clinically ill and all recovered within 4-5 days without medical aid ( eqaully sad that they were ready to let them die off).

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&q=cache:mKw0uk1wq6wJ:www.mountaindogfood.com/HealthCare/Salmonella2.pdf+b.a.r.f+and+salmonella

I don't want to go back to kibble foods as they have lost my trust completely plus I have read enough evidence to convince me grains really are unnesicary leaving me really in the middle and unsure if I may have to give up raw to our busy lifestyle at the moment.

Any thoughts on how to talk to the kennel about feeding raw and if not if I could just switch back onto wellness for the summer and back to raw in the fall, as if he switched onto raw no prob I think going back to kibble shouldn't be much harder.

Thanks
Kayla

technodoll
April 26th, 2007, 01:42 PM
You could always feed dehydrated raw during the travel and boarding times, it's very practical and still better than kibble. Just add water to reconstitute the meal.

One great company is http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/index.shtml - but you can google to find many others.

There will never be a "perfect" time to feed raw. Travels and trips and boardings will always happen during the lifetime of your pet, so if you're committed to doing this, you need to feel comfortable having alternatives once in a while.

Best of luck! :)

barkley21
April 26th, 2007, 01:48 PM
I personally will be travelling this summer as well but I don't see that as a good enough reason to switch my dog to kibble. If you have difficulties getting a facility to feed him raw as per your wishes, you could buy the Nature's Variety medallions which they shouldn't have an issue with feeding. Here's the link, check it out http://www.naturesvariety.com/
They have prepackaged raw patties that can be stored in the freezer but if the kennel refuses raw altogether, you could buy the freeze dried raw medallions. It's basically raw without the moisture. If you don't tell them what it is, they probably wouldn't even know that it wasn't kibble because it's dry :p
Good luck!

barkley21
April 26th, 2007, 01:54 PM
LOL...Technodoll and I were posting our replies at the same time, but it seems we were on the same wave length :D

x.l.r.8
April 26th, 2007, 05:41 PM
If it's the raw component there worried about, maybe homecooked and frozen so they jsut have to defrost and serve, no different than doing the same for raw but they may be more comfortable.
I found a good place that when I asked about raw they just laughed and said leave them directions and they feed what ever I want. :highfive:
Where abouts are you in Ontario?
Could you organise another boarder that would still be able to get him to daycare?
On the camping trip thing, how remote are you going, surely there will be a supermarket close buy, you may not get great deals but you can add the cost in to the trip, it won't be that bad, or the dehydrated Raw you could easily do. In my mind you haven't started raw, you are feeding raw, it's just quite simply what he eats. Maybe work on that notion when approaching the kennels?.
If he will eat kibble/canned still then maybe for a few weeks you will have to accept that thats what you will have to do. Maybe revisit your options and see how flexable all parties are at different foods, my vet wouldn't let us bring any food so see if they will even let you bring in a quality kibble rather than the food they try to peddle. :fingerscr