Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is this odd behaviour? (cat)

OliviaT
April 26th, 2007, 01:32 PM
:cat: Hello, cat people!

My cat, named Bunny, has recently had her kittens about 3 days ago. She was pretty young to have her children. She wasn't exactly 'presenting' herself when our other cat, Squarepants, had his way with her. So I don't know if that takes any part in why she's acting the way she is, but I thought I should say it to make sure everything is clear.

With that said...

Bunny has been acting 'wierd' with one of the five kittens. She brings the orange one and leaves it around the house. She once moved all her kittens behind the cat bed, and left the orange one in the middle of the floor with the father. Other times she tries to bring the orange one under the bed in my bedroom, or she leaves it out front of my door. So it got to the point where we moved her cat bad, kittens, and her all into the front room and closed the door. Anyway, you know how cats scratch doors when they want in/out?well, she was doing that but with the orange baby in her mouth. Just this morning we gave her a kitty treat, and 30 seconds later she came back with the orange kitten in her mouth and left it on the floor again with the father...

The father isn't neglecting his children either, as soon as she leaves it he goes over to it and licks it, but he won't pick it up.

So my questions are:
Is she trying to abandon her kitten?
Is she bored and thinks it's a game?
Does she feel as though her kitten isn't getting as much attention as the others?
What do I do to get her to realise she has to stay with her kitten?

*At the moment she's feeding all five of them in her cat bed*

Thanks for taking the time to read this! Can't wait for the the replys.

glitterless
April 27th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Can you move her to a quiet area? Find her a spot with little foot traffic and maybe even where the male cat can't bother her. Keep food and water nearby, and maybe even a litterbox if possible.

She's probably upset and trying to move her kittens to a quieter place. I don't think that the fact that she moves the orange kitten most is significant. Sometimes animals will reject their young if they are sick or have been overly handled by humans, but I doubt that this is the case.

Also, I don't think that this behaviour is in any way related to the fact that she wasn't actively going into heat. I think that her chances of conceiving may have been lower than that of a mature cat, but obviously she got pregnant and carried the kittens to term, so I think that everything sounds normal.

Good luck :)

cpietra16
April 27th, 2007, 07:37 AM
As long as she is feeding the orange kitten, I think she'll be ok. Usually cats do neglect kittens that are sick. I hope that's not the case for you and the orange one. Good luck.
Will you be spaying your cat after this litter? Best way to prevent from having to go thru this again

OliviaT
April 27th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Alright, thanks a bunch, guys!

I just needed some reassurance that everything is going to be okay, I guess.

I have a bit of a fear of pregant animals after my rabbit abandoned her litter about 3+ times. Nothing more pleasent than throwing out dead babies, knowing it all could've been prevented if her instincts would've kicked in. (also the reason why we got rid of the rabbit)

And yes, we will be getting her spayed! I, for one, ain't ready for this again.

As for the quiet place, I think we have it figured out. She seems to be staying put under the table in the back room. (Litter box, food, and water is all accessible :thumbs up )

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

muskokapuss
April 27th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Wow, usually the only reason that a cat will "abandon" their kitten is if the kitten is sick, and could affect the whole family. I would think about taking the little orange one and having him/her vet checked, just to make sure that he/she is healthy.....She may for some other unknown reason be rejecting the orange one...so keep a close eye on her and if she stops feeding the orange one, you may have to get some "kitten" formula and an eye dropper and make like Mommy....(we had this problem with a litter of kittens that we had with our Mom and for some reason she rejected one kitten...the kitten was perfectly healthy, but for some reason , she just didn't feel she could care for it, so I took it away from her, put it in an "incubator" and fed it "baby kitty formula" out of an eye dropper and our little neglected one grew up to be a big healthy cat. It could also be that because she is so young having all of these kittens feeding on her, she may not be producing enough milk and so she has "sacrificed" one of the kittens so the other's can be healthy and strong. I would seriously look into maybe getting some "baby kitten formula" and next time she takes the orange one out of the nest, try to feed him your self, and see what the reaction is...that's what I did, and after that everything was fine, (our cat let the "odd one out" sleep in the nest, hang out with the other kittens etc...she just didn't have enough milk, for the number of kittens, so I fed the one and she took total care of all the other's.

best of luck!

puss :cat:

CyberKitten
April 27th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I would have a vet check the orange kitten - mama cats tend to know when a kitten has a problem and they will abandon ones that they determine cannot make it out there in the wild. (even if the "wild" is your home. But she needs a quiet place as has been already said, away from everyone. I once placed a cat and her kittens in a closet and they loved it!! Took everything out and they had the place to themselves!
\
Good luck with the kits and with finding good homes!!!!! Make sureyou charge for these kittens!!!! Do NOT give them away free!