Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pet Friendly Motels

BusterBoo
April 26th, 2007, 08:42 AM
We are travelling from Ottawa to Halifax the first week of May and will be bringing the two dogs with us (first long car trip for Buster!):eek:

It's about a 17 hr drive so we thought we would stop somewhere around Fredericton, NB for the night and continue on the next day. Does anyone know of any reasonably priced pet-friendly motels? It doesn't have to be in Fredericton but we figured we could make it that far without stressing the dogs (or the humans) too much!

Thanks!

technodoll
April 26th, 2007, 09:23 AM
www.petfriendly.ca

:thumbs up

BusterBoo
April 26th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the link!!

(can't believe no hotel/motels are listed for Fredericton!):shrug:

Puppyluv
April 26th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Despite Fredericton not being listed, a lot of the chain motels that are listed in other cities also exist in Fredericton, and are also pet friendly.
Here are a couple:
Comfort Inn (http://www.choicehotels.com/ires/en-US/html/HotelInfo?hotel=CN241&sid=VLVW.QzE80g$uy.3&sarea=3196&sname=Fredericton&sstate=NB&scountry=CA&sradius=40.22&slat=45.9500&slon=-66.6667&schain=A&exp=&scity=Fredericton&sort=&nroom=1&nadult1=1&nchild1=0&nadult2=1&nchild2=0&nadult3=1&nchild3=0&nadult4=1&nchild4=0&nadult5=1&nchild5=0)
Ramada (http://www.super8.com/Super8/control/Booking/check_avail?brandCode=SE,MQ,DI,HJ,KG,RA,TL,BU&searchWithinMiles=25&areaType=1&destination=fredericton&stateName=New%20Brunswick&state=NB&countryName=Canada&country=CA&checkInDate=08/26&numberAdults=1&numberRooms=1&checkOutDate=08/27&numberChildren=0&rateName=Best%20Avail&rate=000&pageNumber=1&smoking=any&bed=any&id=01107&propBrandId=RA&force_nostay=false)
Days Inn (http://www.super8.com/Super8/control/Booking/check_avail?brandCode=SE,MQ,DI,HJ,KG,RA,TL,BU&searchWithinMiles=25&areaType=1&destination=fredericton&stateName=New%20Brunswick&state=NB&countryName=Canada&country=CA&checkInDate=08/26&numberAdults=1&numberRooms=1&checkOutDate=08/27&numberChildren=0&rateName=Best%20Avail&rate=000&pageNumber=1&smoking=any&bed=any&id=15018&propBrandId=DI&force_nostay=false) (this one's in Oromocto, about 20 km away from Fredericton)
Crowne Plaza (http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hotel/yfcqs?_requestid=214991)

BusterBoo
April 26th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Well, I ended up booking at a little place in Woodstock, not sure how good it will be but it is cheap! and they don't charge extra for my two furboys :thumbs up

x.l.r.8
April 26th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Comfort Inn are pet friendly? :crazy: , I looked at petfriendly.ca last year and they seemed so expensive (probably because I have never been on vacation before :shrug: ).
I've been after driving up to tobermory and taking the ferry to Manatoilin (sp)Island and seeing if it does look like all the pictures, then driving back around the lake stopping off at somewhere nice and making a 4-5 day event (i only work 3 days a week so I can do it on my days off), however it looked too expensive, now thats to all these great links :thumbs up I can start planning again (for next year:sad: ).

RUSTYcat
April 26th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Considering that "friendly" means "welcome", and not much more....

I would advise anyone considering bringing their cat into a hotel/motel room to ask the owner/manager (this does not mean 'just anyone' at the front desk) EXACTLY WHAT THEY USE FOR INSECT AND RODENT CONTROL in the motel.

All you would need is for kitty to ingest mouse poison or some chemical spray (from the floor to their pads to their mouths).........

In addition, I always check out the entire floor area myself BEFORE bringing kitty in.

clm
April 26th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Canadian Kennel Club used to have a listing for pet friendly motels, I don't know if they still do.

Cindy

Puppyluv
April 26th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Comfort Inn are pet friendly? :crazy: ,

I don't get it.... are they not? the website for comfort inn says they're pet friendly and pets are allowed.
I've never stayed there though... whenever I travel with Layla we stay at a Loews. They have amazing pet service.:thumbs up

dustybird
April 26th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Travelodge and Super 8 are pet friendly. Some super 8's are gross though. Any of the travelodges we have stayed at have always been real nice to us and don't bat an eye when we say we have our cats. We don't have a dog so I don't know if they would be treated differently. It's an extra $10.00 for the cats and we have to sign a waiver for if there are any damages. We always check the room over first and if something looks like they would think the cats did it we let them know so we don't get charged.

x.l.r.8
April 26th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I had no Idea, I stayed in a lot of comfort inns and never saw anyone with a pet, it just surprised me thats all. If they say they do then thats good enough for me.:thumbs up

BusterBoo
April 26th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Considering that "friendly" means "welcome", and not much more....

I would advise anyone considering bringing their cat into a hotel/motel room to ask the owner/manager (this does not mean 'just anyone' at the front desk) EXACTLY WHAT THEY USE FOR INSECT AND RODENT CONTROL in the motel.

All you would need is for kitty to ingest mouse poison or some chemical spray (from the floor to their pads to their mouths).........

In addition, I always check out the entire floor area myself BEFORE bringing kitty in.

That's my plan too.....definitely check out the room and then decide if it is ok for the dogs. We will have Buster's crate so if necessary the dogs will be crated for the night.

glitterless
April 27th, 2007, 01:41 AM
I work at a Comfort Inn. I believe that most of them are pet friendly, meaning pets are welcome, but these hotels are franchises, so it will vary. At this hotel we don't use any form of insect/rodent control because it's unnecessary, but I'll definitely make a note of that. I can't think of anything in a typical hotel room other than electrical cords that would pose a serious health threat to a pet.

I travelled from Northwest BC to Ontario with 2 large dogs about 1.5 years ago. That was crazy! We stayed at the smaller motels ($60/night) and actually found quite a few that wouldn't take pets. Some wanted to know the size of the pets, their training, behaviour, and so on. I guess some people admit that their pets aren't housetrained??? Most places were good. Our dogs were great, except when our big rottie X had an accident during our last night. Oops. I think he was too excited visiting the motel owner's dog that he forgot to go! We cleaned it up and were never charged any additional fees.

I love bringing my dogs on trips, but BC to ON was far too long for them. They weren't eating or drinking regularly and both were quite off by the time we arrived home. It IS nice that some motels/hotels allow pets because the dogs were definitely a lot more comfortable in motel rooms than they would have been if they had to sleep in the car.

Smiley14
April 30th, 2007, 10:18 PM
This is the site I always use to find hotels when I'm traveling with Petey, it's great!

http://www.bringfido.com/

I just used it again last month to book a little trip to Mackinaw Island this Sept. :)

ETA: oops, I just realized it's only for the US. Sorry about that!