Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help with potty training grand-puppy

dizzimom
April 26th, 2007, 12:18 AM
My daughter and her fiance have a 5 month old Austrian Shepherd/Choc Lab mix. She is the sweetest thing! However potty training is a problem. They have had Kylee since she was a month old. She is crated all day while the boyfriend is at work. She does potty in the crate. She is taken outside when he first gets home and she pottys outside and he rewards her. She is taken outside first thing in the morning as well as the last thing at night. He even comes home at lunch time to put her out. When he is at my house with her, we take her out every 30 minutes to an hour and again reward her when she does her business outside. She will tell us from time to time when she needs to go outside however there are times when she does not tell anyone and does her business in the house. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to potty train her?

tenderfoot
April 26th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Life has not been consistent enough for her to get the picture. How often does she make mistakes? Daily? Weekly? Two different problems depending on your answer.

At 5 months she should be able to hold her potty in the crate for 4 hours. How often are you feeding her? Are you leaving food or water in the crate? If so she is simply loading up and has to go and no one is there is help her so she is actually being taught to soil her crate.

How is she when you leave her in the crate for just an hour? Does she soil it? Is she panicy or anxious? She might have some separation anxiety. This is a different subject still.

When you take her out so often are you simply rescuing her? She needs to learn that soiling the house is not an option and going outside gains wonderful attention and rewards.

I would encourage you to have her on the leash attatched to an adult when she is in the house. This way you are more aware of her energy shifts and behavior and she is not likely to soil the house while connected to you.

Consistency is the key. You have to be aware of her needs and be there to respond. If she starts to act like she is going to potty in the house you 'startle' her with a foot stomp, or voice with a sharp 'ach' or 'no' - don't scare her just startle her so she stops and looks at you, then get happy and redirect her to go outside and go with her so you can reward her for doing a good job outside.

This is going to take patience - you all need to create better management habits as you work on teaching her to make better choices.

dizzimom
April 26th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Life has not been consistent enough for her to get the picture. How often does she make mistakes? Daily? Weekly? Two different problems depending on your answer.

At 5 months she should be able to hold her potty in the crate for 4 hours. How often are you feeding her? Are you leaving food or water in the crate? If so she is simply loading up and has to go and no one is there is help her so she is actually being taught to soil her crate.

How is she when you leave her in the crate for just an hour? Does she soil it? Is she panicy or anxious? She might have some separation anxiety. This is a different subject still.

When you take her out so often are you simply rescuing her? She needs to learn that soiling the house is not an option and going outside gains wonderful attention and rewards.

I would encourage you to have her on the leash attatched to an adult when she is in the house. This way you are more aware of her energy shifts and behavior and she is not likely to soil the house while connected to you.

Consistency is the key. You have to be aware of her needs and be there to respond. If she starts to act like she is going to potty in the house you 'startle' her with a foot stomp, or voice with a sharp 'ach' or 'no' - don't scare her just startle her so she stops and looks at you, then get happy and redirect her to go outside and go with her so you can reward her for doing a good job outside.

This is going to take patience - you all need to create better management habits as you work on teaching her to make better choices.

Thank you for your assistance. Where to begin. I would say that it is daily that she has her accidents. In the beginning when she was a month or two old, they put food and water in her crate because of her age. Now Kylee gets fed when he comes home in the evening. Kylee does not soil in her crate during short stays. She does not appear panicy or anixous. She is very active just like a puppy should be. We take her out so often so teach her that she gets praise and rewards for pottying outside. When she pottys inside she is told no and taken immediately outside where when she pottys again we reward her and praise her. We will use the leash idea in the house and try to be more consistent however that is hard with all the busy schedules. We take her out before leave and after we come home and I have them bring her to me when they are going somewhere in the evening so she does not have to be crated all day and most of the evening. Thanks again.

Spirit
April 26th, 2007, 02:22 PM
It seems to me that she's learned that peeing in her crate is acceptable behavior. Once a dog does this, it's nearly impossible to break. I would suggest getting rid of the crate altogether, and maybe investing in an x-pen and some pee pads. Normally I'm completely against the use of pee pads, but since your dog has not learned to hold it, the pads might be what it takes.

You would leave your dog in the x-pen (with the pads while you are away), but still do your absolute best to not let it get to the point where she feels as though she has to use them. Come home every few hours, or send someone to your house to let her out. She needs to learn bladder control, so the pads should only be used for those times when you will be gone longer than you think she can hold it (until you know she can hold it). If you remove the pads, will she pee on the floor?

The other option is to still use the x-pen, and to keep her crate (or at least the bottom half of it) as a bathroom area. If she's loose in the pen, she's more likely to go into her crate to pee, since she's already established this as her bathroom area.

Personally, I wouldn't allow her to have another accident in the house PERIOD (like tenderfoot said), but if that's not an option, then the only other option I can think of is the x-pen.

dizzimom
April 26th, 2007, 02:49 PM
It seems to me that she's learned that peeing in her crate is acceptable behavior. Once a dog does this, it's nearly impossible to break. I would suggest getting rid of the crate altogether, and maybe investing in an x-pen and some pee pads. Normally I'm completely against the use of pee pads, but since your dog has not learned to hold it, the pads might be what it takes.

You would leave your dog in the x-pen (with the pads while you are away), but still do your absolute best to not let it get to the point where she feels as though she has to use them. Come home every few hours, or send someone to your house to let her out. She needs to learn bladder control, so the pads should only be used for those times when you will be gone longer than you think she can hold it (until you know she can hold it). If you remove the pads, will she pee on the floor?

The other option is to still use the x-pen, and to keep her crate (or at least the bottom half of it) as a bathroom area. If she's loose in the pen, she's more likely to go into her crate to pee, since she's already established this as her bathroom area.

Personally, I wouldn't allow her to have another accident in the house PERIOD (like tenderfoot said), but if that's not an option, then the only other option I can think of is the x-pen.

How do I not allow her to have an accident in the house? That is the question I have been trying to get answers for. I also do not know what a x-pen is. The boyfriend works everyday from 8-5. My daughter goes to college and then work everyday. She does not get to see Kylee until 2000. He gets a half hour lunch. Kylee is lefted out before he leaves for work, at lunch time he runs home and again immediately when he gets home. This is the schedule Mon- Fri. On the weekends, Kylee is put out first thing in the morning and last thing at night. She is put hour every hour at least and praised and rewarded everytime she pottys outside. I think Kylee is confused where she is to potty because the boyfriend does not have a yard so Kylee pottys on the concrete because when she comes to my house, I have yards and she still pees on the concrete sometimes, however she poos in the grass. She does follow my dog around and I was hoping Lucky could teach also however that has not help. Lucky is not fond of Kylee since she is a puppy and very active. She wants to play all the time and Lucky does not. Lucky growls and shows teeth to her and she does become submissive however she continues to bother him. So as you can see Lucky does not want Kylee around much thus he doesn't teach her.

jessi76
April 26th, 2007, 03:31 PM
How do I not allow her to have an accident in the house? That is the question I have been trying to get answers for. I also do not know what a x-pen is. The boyfriend works everyday from 8-5. My daughter goes to college and then work everyday. She does not get to see Kylee until 2000. He gets a half hour lunch. Kylee is lefted out before he leaves for work, at lunch time he runs home and again immediately when he gets home. This is the schedule Mon- Fri. On the weekends, Kylee is put out first thing in the morning and last thing at night. She is put hour every hour at least and praised and rewarded everytime she pottys outside.

so M-F she is crated for most of the day, yet on weekends, she is taken out every hour? IMO, this is NOT a consistant routine. Consistancy is EVERY DAY.

my best advice would be to hire a dog walker; ask a neighbor/friend/family member to stop in more often during the week to let the pup out; use a doggy daycare; also keep some consistancy on the weekends.

When my dog was being trained, I'd crate him even on the weekends while I was home - I'd mop the floors, do laundry, etc - but I kept a consistant crating routine. In addition to creating a regular potty schedule, he learned that he wasn't just crated when I left, but that the crate was his space to use whether I was home or not.

Spirit
April 26th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Jessi is right. If you don't have time to take care of a puppy yourself, then hire someone to do it for you. Doggy daycare is a great idea.

This is an x-pen (exercise pen).

http://doskosport.com/Images/Products/55004.jpg