Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Recognizing signs of a stroke

technodoll
April 25th, 2007, 07:25 PM
I agree with most of this. The only thing I don't agree with is the part where the Neurologist says that if they can get to a person within 3 hours they can totally reverse the effects of a stroke, that to me is not true at all, it depends on where the clot ended up. If you have no oxygen going to the brain you can suffer brain damage within 3 minutes. The recognition part though is good.

STROKE: Remember The 1st Three Letters.. S.T.R.

My friend sent this to me and encouraged me to post it and spread the word. I agree. If everyone can remember something this simple, we could save some folks. Seriously... Please read:

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:

During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) and just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes. They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food - while she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening. Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00pm, Ingrid passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Thank God for the sense to remember the "3" steps, STR . Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S * Ask the individual to SMILE.

T * Ask the person to TALK to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE(Coherently) (i.e. It is sunny out today)

R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out their tongue. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other that is also an indication of a stroke. If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call 911 immediately!! And describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

SableCollie
April 25th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Always good info to know. My great aunt recently suffered a stroke, she lives alone, luckily she had relatives visit and they quickly realized she was confused and speaking nonsense. Physically she looked fine, but when they took her to the hospital, it was confirmed that she had had a mild stroke.

I'm glad the info on identifying a stroke is going around, I hope it will help somebody.

technodoll
April 25th, 2007, 07:45 PM
the "S. T. R. " method really helps, i didn't know that and now it's easy to remember :thumbs up

trippincherri
April 25th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I have heard of STR before and actually have had to use it once!

Thankfully the person was fine.
But I felt better making them do the STR steps and knowing they were okay.

Shamrock
April 25th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I've never heard of this, but will remember it now!
Thanks for sharing this valuable tip,Technodoll.:thumbs up

rainbow
April 26th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I've heard of this too....excellent advice to remember. :thumbs up

Kristin7
May 2nd, 2007, 11:41 AM
Good thread. Also wanted to add, that anyone can have a stroke. I have 4 acquaintences who were young, in their 20s, when they had strokes. 2 of them are still good friends of mine. Neither know the cause of their strokes. I was out with one of them one evening when she had her stroke. We rushed her to the ER, not knowing what was wrong... she could not speak and was stumbling, having a hard time walking. The doctors did not recognize her problem as a stroke, thinking instead she had taken drugs (she had not). They let her go that night, and she didn't find out for weeks that she had had a stroke, and only did because eventually she lost some function on the right side of her body, which likely could have been prevented (it was from brain swelling after the stroke).

Byrd
May 2nd, 2007, 05:49 PM
My mom had a mini-stroke back in December. We didn't figure it out for two days as all she complained about was a sore eye. Then she started slurring and staggering. I took her to the hospital and the first thing the doctor said was that it's too bad she didn't call an ambulance immediately as they could have stopped it (the clot was in her neck though). The neurologist said that for every stroke a person has they actually have about 10 tiny ones just before.

technodoll
May 2nd, 2007, 07:25 PM
oh how horrible... i had no idea strokes were that common, i am learning so much... :grouphug:

Schwinn
May 4th, 2007, 09:17 AM
The biggest thing I always remember to initially suspect a stroke is the person seems confused, or as someone else mentioned, drunk. I do first aid for a mountain bike resort, and I remember going through all the symptoms during training and trying to remember everything, and then it was summed up for us that way.

What I find amazing is the number of people who have had strokes, and recover fully. There's been a few famous people. I keep thinking of Brett "The Hitman" Hartt, only because he went on a big publicity tour. He was practically an invalid. A little while ago he was interviewed on the radio for a kid's play he's doing, and you'd never know he had a stroke.

Good advice on the STR. I'd never heard of that, and it's certainly easier to remember. Thanks.

Byrd
May 5th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Yup, that's what made us take my mom to the emerg, she said "huh, I feel drunk." So, that was it.