Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Barking Dog

mcswede
April 25th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Our 4 year old Golden loves being outside on the deck, but barks at everyone/thing she sees. I am considering a bark collar. Has anyone has experience with these, and are they effective?
Thank You.

chico2
April 25th, 2007, 04:23 PM
mcswede,I have no idea about bark-collars,but if it causes pain to the dog,I would not try it.
Are you a fellow Swede by the way:confused:

mcswede
April 25th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I understand that there is no pain involved. I would not do that.

Prin
April 25th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I think you correcting her personally would be more effective. Do you have a command for stopping barking?

Ford Girl
April 25th, 2007, 04:59 PM
My Golden does this too, at everyone and everything. I am interested in solutions too, what we are doing now works ok if we are close by, but she still barks alot. We have always told her "quiet, no bark", and gentley hold her muzzle, she stops and then in a very low tone grumbles at the same thing she was barking at, but doesn't bark again until the next thing/person/ what ever comes along.

Adogsday
April 25th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I have had experience with dog bark collars, and I gotta say no way! You should hire a behaviorist to come into your home and show you how to communicate to your dog that barking is not good. It is much easier, and a lot less trauma on the dog. The problem will return usually once you remove the collar, and the dog will embrace being free from it...u guessed it; by barking. Nip the problem in the bud and go to something that will give you both confidence: behavior training. It really is a lot better then any collar I've seen. But of course that is just MO. Keep us posted and let us know what worked! :fingerscr

Adogsday
April 25th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Hey, I have not tried these guys but just a place to start looking into barking behaviour, might have some info to help or suggestions, let me know.

http://www.barkbusters.ca/

SableCollie
April 25th, 2007, 05:25 PM
The only bark collar I would ever consider using are the ones that spray citronella when the dog barks, as opposed to shocking the dog. Of course the best thing is for you to be out with the dog, teaching them. My doggie is a barker too. :) I had to be out there with her, rewarding her when she was quiet. I would have her sit or lie down when I saw someone approaching, and praise her for quiet. I also had my neighbors praise my dog and pet her only when she was sitting quietly. Sometimes she still gets excited and barks, and then I give a warning "sable, quiet". If she stops barking, she gets praised, if she continues, I just say "too loud" and put her in the house. She loves being outside, so being put in the house is the consequence for her barking.

mummummum
April 25th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Number 1/Your dog is doing it's "job".
Number 2/ You aren't supervising your "worker"

What you need to do is teach your dog the difference between a threat and a passerby.

BusterBoo
April 25th, 2007, 07:52 PM
My Buster is a barker and having two dogs made it very difficult to control. So I did buy a citronella collar about 2-3 weeks ago and I must say, it is working! Buster has been "sprayed" twice and now I don't even turn the sprayer on......all I have to do is tell him I will get the "lemon" and he calms down. If that doesn't work, I put the collar on him but don't activate the spray.

I am also correcting Buster when he barks with a ssshhhhhh - quiet - no bark. I know the collar will not fix the problem, but I needed a temporary fix and the collar worked.

I bought mine at Petsmart....quite pricey but worth it and if it doesn't work, you can return it for a full refund!

Good luck!

coppperbelle
April 25th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I honestly don't believe in collars. When he barks tell him no and bring him indoors. Eventually he will get the hint that barking means having to come in.
Dogs are rewarded everytime they bark. They bark and the person walking by continues on their way. The dog thinks that his barking scared the person off and he was successful.

aussiemedogs
August 31st, 2007, 07:58 PM
I have 4 dogs, all aussies, I have 1 that is a barker, but he is brought in if he doesn't stop after I tell him, but he has gotten pretty good, the last one I got...she is 10 months old...and driving me nuts! She barks at my other dogs all day long...they have pinned her, (told her off) as I have lol,they even run to the bedroom to get away from her and her barking, she has done quite a bit of training and is excellent in obedience but the barking is out of control..In a 10 minute period I can tell her 50 times "quiet" it lasts 30 seconds. Sometimes she even talks back to me when I scold her..I have yet to find a solution that will help with training her to be quiet, this is something that really needs to be corrected as in my area we are allowed 3 pets and I have 5...if we got caught the city would demand that we go down to 3, the hubbys not to worried, he says we would sell the house and move, I am willing to do that but only if needed so I need any advice on barking as I have tried everything. I'm not ignorant to training as I have done this for over 12 years and have never had a problem till now with this little she-devil!
I am seriously looking at a bark collar...I hate the idea but unless this is corrected soon, I will have no other choice.

mummummum
August 31st, 2007, 08:24 PM
From everything I have heard and read about bark collars, dogs just find a way to work around them.

Why don't you have a one-on-one session with your trainer at your house so that the trainer can observe her in action and experiment with different training techniques in her home environment until one thjat works is found ?

sugarcatmom
August 31st, 2007, 08:42 PM
Not sure if this article will help you at all: http://www.dogstardaily.com/article/excessive-barking but it goes by the principle that in order to teach a dog to stop barking, you first have to teach it to bark on command. Might be worth trying before resorting to the collar. Good luck!

Longblades
September 1st, 2007, 11:12 AM
I was just going to post the exact same thing as sugarcatmom. This technique can also be used on dogs that jump up on people. Teach them to do it on command (barking or jumping up) and you may then be able to control when they do it. I can attest that it works well with the jumping (HUGS or Feet on the Floor or just FEET).

lanwhite
September 2nd, 2007, 09:04 PM
How do you go about teaching them the difference between a threat and a passerby? My dog barks every time someone or something goes by. I think that is because she used to live on 17 acres and now just has a small fenced in area.

Corrie
September 3rd, 2007, 01:16 PM
Mcswede, the citronella barking collars are VERY effective and the dog will neither get used to the spray or try to get around it. If someone tells you otherwise, they are incorrect (please remember that most folks who post on this website are loving and caring owners…but they are not trainers..they mean well, but do not know the facts always)

Please try the collar on your dog…if he is on your deck barking and bothering your neighbours you are not only doing a disservice to your dog, but you are not being a very good neighbour, as well.

dachsielvr
September 6th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Mcswede, the citronella barking collars are VERY effective and the dog will neither get used to the spray or try to get around it. If someone tells you otherwise, they are incorrect (please remember that most folks who post on this website are loving and caring owners…but they are not trainers..they mean well, but do not know the facts always)

Please try the collar on your dog…if he is on your deck barking and bothering your neighbours you are not only doing a disservice to your dog, but you are not being a very good neighbour, as well.

I totally agree! My dachsie's barked and barked to the point where the Dog Control was called on me more than a few times. I'm on acreage too, but they bark at squirrels, birds, anything that moves.

I tried making loud noises with banging pots (someone told me this would work).. then would say NO, quiet! that worked for about 10 minutes..before long I was making more noise than they were!!

I bought the citronella barking collars, they were cheaper than the fines I would have been issued had my neighbors kept calling the Dog Control..

They work great! Life is good and much more quiet now.:thumbs up