Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

For once impressed by Oprah

~michelle~
April 25th, 2007, 04:55 PM
so oprah had a show on Dogs today and her holistic vet came on to talk about foods. i was actually pretty im pressed they rated food on a 7 level scale from best to worst

1. raw diet
2. cooked diet
3. ultra premium canned food
4. premium canned food
5 ultra premium kibble grain free food
6. premium food kibble with grain
7. generic food (kibble)

Aimster
April 25th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I just watched that myself and was going to post about it. The whole show was very educating.

erykah1310
April 25th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I too was impressed with the show, I made sure I was home in time to watch it...
I was afraid that it was going to be completely bogus, but it was actually alright.

Prin
April 25th, 2007, 05:05 PM
:highfive: I cringed when they said "up next: what to feed your dog"... But they did a great job. :highfive:

technodoll
April 25th, 2007, 05:06 PM
dang i missed it! :yell:

happy the news was good though :thumbs up

Mypetsrmykids
April 25th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I missed it...darn it! What do they mean by "cooked diet"? Are they saying that a homemade meal is healthier than any dog food?

Puppyluv
April 25th, 2007, 06:11 PM
I missed it...darn it! What do they mean by "cooked diet"? Are they saying that a homemade meal is healthier than any dog food?

Pretty much. He said that our dogs were meant to eat MEAT and that it's deffinately preferred to make your own food than to buy any dog food. But a grain free canned (the ones that are lik 90% meat) is your best retail choice.

~michelle~
April 25th, 2007, 06:46 PM
they really pushed the dogs are carnivores aspect and that meat should be a primary ingredient

Mypetsrmykids
April 25th, 2007, 06:50 PM
That's very different from everything I've learned about home-cooked meals for dogs. They either give a 50/50 ratio or a 40 (meat)/60 (carb) diet. I've been giving them chicken, brown rice & yams that I make. I also will give them eggs every few days. My other dog that is in kidney failure cannot have too much protein because it will cause problems. I also have to stay away from phosphorous with her because the kidneys can't handle it. Meat is loaded with phosphorous. Can you just imagine how unhealthy it must be for a dog that can only have a tiny amount of meat each day? This has really become a dilemma for me.:confused:

wmarcello
April 25th, 2007, 07:02 PM
First of all, I hope they mentioned that raw and homecooked are only the top two if done right with a lot of research...

Second... people still watch Oprah?

coppperbelle
April 25th, 2007, 07:45 PM
This was only one vets opinion. I wasn't too impressed by the vet. He may know his stuff but he is not television material.

I have seen the trainer before on a show on Animal Planet. I can't remember the name of the show but basically dogs were up for adoption and three families would spend an evening with the dog and then the best family got to adopt it. She was one of the judges on the show.

Oprah's goldens are beautiful and she talked about one of her Spaniel's but not the other. What I don't understand is that Oprah had goldens before, still has at least one Spaniel and three young goldens. Are they all at different homes of hers? What happened to the first goldens she had?

heidiho
April 25th, 2007, 07:55 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: OMG That is funny,People still watch Oprah,i cant stand the racist woman,but would of liked to see that show..She got her goldens from a breeder,bad bad Oprah.......

rainbow
April 25th, 2007, 10:18 PM
I knew it was going to be on today (thanks to TeriM) but I forgot to watch it. :o

Lissa
April 25th, 2007, 11:21 PM
That's very different from everything I've learned about home-cooked meals for dogs.

There's been a lot of research that suggests high protein diets do not overstrain the kidney's...

http://www.dogaware.com/kidney.html#protein
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=protein_myth

I only saw the first "training" bit and well, her "personal trainer" isn't doing anything new...I found it really basic and the whole tone of "Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit" was annoying - if I were the dog I'd tune her out:p (not to mention the amount of times Oprah repeated commands or how badly her timing was off):o

rainbow
April 25th, 2007, 11:36 PM
LOL....Oprah does have bad timing.....have you ever seen her try to dance? :rolleyes:

Lissa
April 26th, 2007, 12:11 AM
LOL no - I guess her bad timing would make sense then:crazy:

The other thing that really irked me was the whole "after your dog messes in its crate 2-3 times, he'll go ewwww and stop"..... That is just so wrong, I wanted to shake the trainer:evil:

rainbow
April 26th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Not only wrong but stupid. :eek: :rolleyes:

loopoo
April 26th, 2007, 12:31 AM
lissa... just want to say.. awesome links to the kidney info and renal diets, i thought i found them on, i have them bookmarked.. thanks again

:)

Scott_B
April 26th, 2007, 06:56 AM
I missed it, but w00t to the diet advice!

Its funny, I was telling mom last week one day that it would be great if Oprah does a show and says raw is great for our carnivors, and that there are better choices of kibbles out there. So glad of this!

Here is a link to Dr Martys page and what he recomends for feeding

http://www.drmarty.com/feeding.htm

Aim for the Ideal

Diet decisions are not a matter of right or wrong. If you understand what is ideal, you can then create a feeding program that will help move your pet closer to the healthiest diet options. In general, the more real food your dogs and cats eat, the healthier they will be.

The chart below outlines how our feeding choices for our pets (companion carnivores) can affect their health. The closer to the upper level choices, the better the chance for optimal health. You will likely be in the middle ranges most of the time. That is fine, as long as you always press toward the ideal.

Ideal - Healthiest

1. Hunted, raw prey (not realistic in modern society)

2. Fresh raw meats, bones, organ meats with very small amounts of fresh vegetables. Include a well-rounded vitamin/mineral mix and omega 3 essential fatty acids (salmon oil). You can prepare your own raw diet using meat/bone pieces and parts, or you can use pre-prepared ground products such as Bravo! and Nature’s Variety.

3. Fresh cooked meats, calcium, organ meat, with very small amounts of fresh vegetables. Include a vitamin/mineral mix, and omega 3 essential fatty acids (salmon oil). There are several books on the market that help you create your own home-cooked diet. It’s best to follow the recipes in these books.

4. Ultra Premium commercial canned foods and augmented with some fresh, raw foods. Canned foods, which are lower in carbohydrates, are much better for your pet than dry kibble. Some of the brands I like are Nature’s Variety, Merrick, and Evanger’s. These products are mostly meat, are usually grain-free, and very low in carbohydrates. The meat they use is human quality and they do not use by-products or chemical preservatives.

5. As in #4 above, but adding fresh cooked foods

6. Ultra Premium canned commercial foods WITHOUT fresh raw or cooked foods added

7. Super Premium canned foods are very much like the brands above, but they use more grains. They still use good quality meats and don't contain by-products. Brand examples: Blue Buffalo, Innova, Pet Promise.

8. Super Premium grain-free dry food (kibble) like Instinct by Nature’s Variety

9. Premium canned foods. These brands use substantially less meat. Water is often the number 1 ingredient (in the Ultra Premium brands meat is the number one ingredient), they use meat by-products (poor quality waste parts) and they usually contain significant amounts of grains and chemical preservatives. Often, if all the grains are added together, they would equal or exceed the meat. The meat quality is OK, but just barely.

10. Super Premium kibble like Innova, Prairie, Canidae, and Timberwolf

11. Grocery store brands – canned or dry. These contain very little meat, are made with substantial amounts of meat by-products, and primarily consist of grain and grain by-products. The rendered meat used in these products came from condemned animals, ie – animals that were deemed unfit for human consumption. These products normally contain artificial colors, flavors and chemical preservatives.

Worst - Unhealthy

Lissa
April 26th, 2007, 08:10 AM
lissa... just want to say.. awesome links to the kidney info and renal diets, i thought i found them on, i have them bookmarked.. thanks again:)

You are most welcome! Glad they are of interest!!!!:lovestruck:

Mypetsrmykids
April 26th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Yes Lissa....thank you! I had found that first site a few months ago. It is over 40 pages and I actually printed it out. I use it as a bible for my dog in kidney failure. I believe that protein is important but unfortunately when I tried to give her more protein, her creatinine went up. Now I am concentrating on the highest protein value instead of volume. Her phosphorus is above normal so I have to be very careful. I'm going to see what happens now that I am giving her sub-q fluids 3 times a week. Maybe I can increase the protein after awhile.

Coopsmom
April 26th, 2007, 04:26 PM
it's funny, i always thought canned food was not good for dogs. now that i know differently - should i mix? half canned / half kibble with some fresh ingredients at times - like eggs, meat, veggies, fruit? cooper eats canidae kibble right now.

Mypetsrmykids
April 26th, 2007, 04:38 PM
it's funny, i always thought canned food was not good for dogs. now that i know differently - should i mix? half canned / half kibble with some fresh ingredients at times - like eggs, meat, veggies, fruit? cooper eats canidae kibble right now.

Since they say that cooked food is better than canned, you could probably just mix cooked food into the kibble. For me, I am giving Innova dry in the morning and a homemade meal in the afternoon.

Scott_B
April 27th, 2007, 02:00 PM

Thats because pet companies lead you to believe that crunchie kibble cleans teeth. However its more important to have quality ingredients. Its all the surgars in the poor quality foods that cause teeth & gum issues.

dollymf
April 27th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Where I live, Oprah is not watched much. So I havent seen the show. But I will agree that raw meat and cooked food tops the list. We almost all of us cook for our dogs. We buy dogs meat from the abboitor,and cook it with a little rice and wheat cereal. Very few pet owners use tinned stuff; so I was very confused why dont you all do the same? meat would be more readily available and cheaper than tinned stuff.