Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Potty traning...we did it!!!!

SaraGeorge
April 25th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Hi everyone,
After one, just one very stressful week, we did it! My little standard schnauzer 12 weeks old puppy Sara is going outside!! Yay!!!! I am soooo proud of Sara. While she pees outside she gives me this look as if she is saying "meh, this is nothing mom, don't get too excited". Of course she gets excited about my happy dance and mega yummy treats. I can't believe it only took one week...although I don't want to jinx it right now. This is just starting. But so far no accidents in 2 days...(knock on the wood).

Wish Sara that she can continue on this,

Thank you for all of youe great advices,

SaraGeorge

jessi76
April 25th, 2007, 04:12 PM
LOL - one week is great! I wouldn't consider your pup "housebroken" though until you have 2 months or so with NO accidents. keep up the great work though! sounds like you have one smarty-pants puppy!!

Ford Girl
April 25th, 2007, 04:14 PM
That is very good, for both of you! Celebrate the small stuff and don't forget to be consistant! :thumbs up

SaraGeorge
April 25th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Thank you,
I know, I know, this is way tooo soon to celebrate but heck, I am just so happy to see she is actualy going outside. She did't even walk for 5 days, she is much better at walking on a leash as well.
What a little trooper :) GO SARA!!!

Adogsday
April 25th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Congrats, it's good to get excited, it's a very important step :laughing: , They will always amaze us, even the slightest things count!

SableCollie
April 25th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Hooray! :D

Non-animal people must think that we get excited about the strangest things!

Prin
April 25th, 2007, 06:31 PM
:highfive: That's great! Good luck for the next little while!

rainbow
April 25th, 2007, 06:40 PM
WOO HOO for Sara :highfive: ...... I hope she continues to amaze you. :fingerscr

Lissa
April 25th, 2007, 11:22 PM
That's wonderful news! Go Sara!:crazy: :love: :thumbs up

Cram
April 26th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Yay! I firmly believe it's all about consistency with the little guys. It's sooooo hard though for those first few weeks- taking them out every hour and constant supervision is NOT fun. But it is worth it. Helix was fully trained at about 12 weeks too, and the only accidents we've had are when we don't get to the door to take him out on time (when he has to go, he has to go!) so he just pees by the door (it's only happened about 4 times in the last 4 months or so).

SaraGeorge
April 26th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Hi Cram,
Yes my husband and I are trying our best to get Sara to be fully potty trained.
I am always going home at lunch to take Sara and my 4 year old Schapso (Schnauzer and Lhasa apso mix) George out. Then go home at 5 and we are out to door again. It is very hard, always think about Sara 24/7 as well as my good boy George how well he is doing with his little sister.

Sara had only 2 accidents so far within a week. We still have 2 pee pads in our condo but I think I will remove one in my room and just leave one by our main door next week. She is started to whimper a little when she needs to go.

Phew....can't wait 'till she reaches her 1 year, although I will miss this puppy stage so much in the future:)

Spirit
April 26th, 2007, 02:14 PM
She is started to whimper a little when she needs to go.

I would concider her housebroken when she runs to the door and barks, and is then able to hold it until you let her out (whether it be a minute or an hour). Assuming she pees the minute you let her out, that is, and is consistant every time. My dog used to do this (and I was so happy that he was telling me he had to pee!), but most of the time he had nothing to do. Trying to determine if he had to go outside to pee or play was pretty rough. I refused to let him out every time he cried at the door (he challenged me a lot to do things for him "just because"). He's passive dominant, so sometimes he'd cry at the door just so I'd open it, then he'd just sit there like "Thanks, Mum! I've got nothing to do." :frustrated: so I always had to try to remember how long ago it was since he'd gone last (or the door wouldn't open).

Now you can set a clock by his expellations (is that a word?).