Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thoughts regarding Rice Gluten in wet foods?

Scary
April 25th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I have been out of the pet-food-recall loop for a week, can you help me catch up? :sorry:

Breifly, Luna will only eat the Nutro pate called Turkey and Giblets right now... here are the ingredients:
Turkey Broth, Turkey, Beef, Beef Liver, Chicken, Chicken Giblets, Oat Bran, Rice Bran, Rice Gluten, Ground Rice, Guar Gum, Iodized Salt, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Taurine, Ferrous Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Sulfate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Potassium Iodide, Biotin.

Rice Gluten is the ninth one listed... though Nutro's website says this as of two days ago:
We know many of you have questions about the FDA's latest reports that melamine was found in rice protein concentrate (also referred to as rice gluten). We want to address those concerns.
Regarding Rice Protein Concentrate:

(1) Nutro uses rice protein concentrate in some of its products because it provides an important source of protein for pets, especially for those with digestive sensitivities and allergies.

(2) Independent laboratory tests have confirmed that the rice protein concentrate (also known as rice gluten) used in Nutro's pet foods does not contain melamine.

(3) It has been reported that the Natural Balance recall is focused on products containing rice protein concentrate provided by Wilbur-Ellis Company. Nutro has NEVER purchased or used rice protein concentrate from Wilbur-Ellis Company in any of our pet foods.

Read the rest here if you like: http://www.nutroproducts.com/mfrecall.asp

Sooooooo - what would YOU do - keep feeding it as her wet food or not and put her on kibble only? As some of you may know, Luna ate recalled pouches for months and got tested and was fine... I just don't know anymore what to think or do!
ANY help / advice is welcome... between this and a few other things, my energy is crap and I'm (for one of the first times ever) feeling overwhelmed. :(
Thanks all... Scary :cat:

rainbow
April 25th, 2007, 01:27 PM
If it was me I wouldn't feed it.

Furryland
April 25th, 2007, 02:40 PM
I think it's a personal decision. :shrug:

I mean for me, i choose to use FF it has wheat gluten but purina says theirs is fine, i have tried every wet food from here too the north pole lol and it's all failed.

Basically at this point i am keeping myself up to date with the latest and following closely what the companies pages are saying about the safety of their ingredients. :2cents:

Sadly, i don't think their are any easy answers right now.

Mypetsrmykids
April 25th, 2007, 03:02 PM
I have to agree with Rainbow....I wouldn't feed it either. I realize that cats can be very picky but it would probably be worth it to go to a well known holistic food. I changed my dogs over to Innova which they love and I know they also make cat food. Innova is made by Natura who has many excellent foods in different brands.
If you absolutely MUST use this food, I would probably have your cat's BUN and Creatinine checked every month until this situation clears up. Even then, you might not be able to avoid melamine poisoning but atleast you are checking the kitty regularly. Cats are having worse reactions than dogs to this chemical. If I had a cat, I would make the change to holistic for peace of mind. JMO!

Prin
April 25th, 2007, 05:36 PM
If it was me I wouldn't feed it.

I agree.:o

Scary
April 25th, 2007, 06:03 PM
I think I'll pull it from her regular feedings and keep the cans I have for the once-in-a-while treat food, if she goes really squirrelly for the wet stuff.

I'll may keep trying other things too. I have tried a few flavors of a couple holistic brands, Merrick, Innova, etc. but all 7 or 8 cans have gone in the garbage untouched, which bothers me as a waste (of food, but money too). Funny, she took to the Nutro foods so well so early on I had no idea she was fussy until the recall! :shrug:

Its true... there are no easy answers...