Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

OMG! We got a teenager on our hands! LONG!

Ford Girl
April 25th, 2007, 01:32 PM
So, how many of you out there have raised your dogs since tiny little puppies? Here's a story I hope you can relate to, please share any advise or experiences you might have...

A quick note from the beginning...Dazy (our 7 month old golden) was the only female in the litter of 10, we quickly noticed how rough and tumble she was - to say the least, we knew right away we would have to focus on leadership skills and dealing with her dominence, her issue was with me more so then my husband. I was off for 6 weeks when we brought her home, things have developed just as we hoped, she has done 2 obedience classes, we constantly train with her, she is a very good dog, luv her to bits, friendly to all dogs and people she meets, no issues beside the occasional stick guarding at the dog park, we exercise her every day. We were so happy that she went from this bossy biting ball of golden terror to a respectful, polite, happy dog, who no longer has to question who's boss or where her place is in the pack, she thrives off routine and is very food motivated, very willing to please.

Until these last few days...I think Dazy is hitting puberty, she's super bossy with me, pushy, growling, jumping at me, and trying to nip me, nothing I can't handle cuz we know what we need to do, but holy cow she's testing me!!! And she is all over Pubert, our kitty, for no reason, pawing him, pushing him off furniture, barking in his face, leaping at his dishes!!! And, get this, I get home 3 hours late last night, after being gone all day, (she wasn't alone for more then 4 hours, my husband was home), she was so happy to see me she could hardly contain herself, so I petted her, and what not when I walked in the door, then our usual routine is to go in the bedroom so I can take my work clothes off, normally she lays on the bed and watches me, waiting for me to be in clothes that we can play in, doesn't she jump on the bed and pee right on my side!!! I didn't notice what she had done right away I was busy hanign up my work clothes, she ran to see my husband in the computer room where he proceeded to pet her cuz he didn't know, she was hiding under his legs, he had no idea so he went right one talking to her and petting her, I then noticed the pee and she wouldn't come see me. When I went to get her, not to give her crap cuz it was too late for that, but to bring her outside, she started to cry like I was beating her, she was looking at Darin like she wanted his help, I put her on the front balcony while I cleaned up, she was howling and crying, you can only imagine what the neighbors think!!! I could tell she knew she did wrong. Might I add she hasn't has an accident in the house since early March.

So, starting today, we are back to leadership training, got to refresh her on who's boss. When I looked in my Golden's for Dummies book, low and behold it says: 7 - 12 months they have the mentality of a preteen/teen and will try again to ascertain their position in the pack, male dogs start peeing on everything, and females may just squat and pee on the floor while staring at you, they "forget" commands, give you attitude when you kick them off furniture…etc...Apparently if she wasn't fixed, it'd be worse. Thank goodness we did that early!!

Anyone else go thru this? How long did it last? And the adventure continues!!!

mummummum
April 25th, 2007, 02:58 PM
So,
I then noticed the pee and she wouldn't come see me. When I went to get her, not to give her crap cuz it was too late for that, but to bring her outside, she started to cry like I was beating her, she was looking at Darin like she wanted his help, I put her on the front balcony while I cleaned up, she was howling and crying, you can only imagine what the neighbors think!!! I could tell she knew she did wrong.

Some dogs and almost all puppies don't have the means to associate their act with your emotional response and negative behaviour if there is a lapse in time between the two. Try to step back in time and see what you felt like, and how you really reacted when you discovered the pee on you bed.

Your dog was reacting to that, to your seemingly irrational response ~ she had no idea she did something wrong. And by her thinking you did punish her terribly with banishment for no reason ~ by removing her from her family and isolating her on an unfriendly balcony.

iIf you catch her at the very moment she is peeing, there is learning opportunity. Any time after that the window for learning is gone and you had best just ignore it, clean up after it and move forward.

BusterBoo
April 25th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Glad to hear I am not the only one with a teenager in the house!

Buster turned one yr old on Monday (Apr 23rd) and was doing pretty good. We did have some training issues but he was getting used to his crate and overall I have been impressed with his new attitude, until a couple of weeks ago when he started barking...and barking...and barking. We got the citronella collar and that has done wonders. And now.......he is lifting his leg to mark...ALL OVER.....so we are back at square one in the training. :mad:

Ford Girl
April 25th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Yes, I agree that my reaction increased her sense of insecurity. I did say outloud "boys oh boys" which she knows means trouble. I should have ignored it however my nice new duvet which now has to be dry cleaned was covered in pee!! LOL!!! To shrug my shoulders in silence isn't my first reaction. haha! So, with that being said, she could have been reacting to the words and my voice for sure, but do you honestly think she had no idea she did wrong? I have a hard time belieiving that she thinks it's ok to pee on our bed? She went directly from the bed to under the computer stand, under my husbands legs. And I guess I should mention the front balcony is where she always sits when she wants to chew a nice juicy bone or watch the steet action, she has never been placed here for punishment before, she has toys, a bed and bones out there too, she loves it out there.

I always try to keep in mind goldens are super sensitive to human emotions and have the need to please. :angel:

I guess that part of the story isn't my concern, I know they won't come if they think they are in trouble, my concern was the act of peeing and this puberty stage. :)

tarasmom
April 28th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Ok I just had to reply to this one. As far as the idea that dogs don't know they have done wrong/been bad, I soooo disagree with that one! My Tara knows! She has her box ( yes she is litter box trained) and has never had mishapps since being fully trained but a few times she has missed the mark and pooped just outside the box on the floor, I NEVER SAY A WORD TO HER about this since I know its simply a miss calculation. I always know its happened before i even enter the room cause she will sit outside the kitchen(where her box is) and cower slightly, I look at her and say" whats wrong baby?" and I say to myself, got a poop on the floor and sure enough there it is, so i clean it up and she sits there and watches, I call her over and give her lovin and shes just as happy as a clam.
On the teenage thing, Tara is also in puberty mode and damn if she isn't a teenage girl with PMS most days, sheesh. She has the most amazing mood swings and attitude sometimes. I must be a small breed thing, i have asked a few other people and they say their dogs do the same things. Tara is at work with me all day and if I have a busy day and don't get to do lots of cuddle/play time by the end of the day she acts like she is the most beaten hard done by dog. The fist few times this happened I was shocked and horrified. I would call her and she would cower and shake, I was dumbfounded! What the heck is going on? I would get right down on the floor and nudge to her and she would start wagging her tail, we would cuddle and all was fine. Then days would go by and she was normal, then out of the blue she would do this again. I couldnt figure out why. Then after a few times I started to think about the day and what may have set her off. Then I realized I hadnt had cuddle time with her that day. So now I know at least what to expect if its a busy day, I have to make an extra effort on those days with her. She sleeps in our bed and when I get up in the morning, well god help me if I sleep in!, I have to say good morning and belly rub her as soon as my feet hit the floor, if I just get up and do my thing first she will cower like she scared. She is fine once I do finally play with her. Also most days she is her usual playful passive self with the usual puppy hyper in there, but some days, man oh man, all she does is sit and growl to herself, and look at me with utter distain, now mind you if I say" up" in my lap she jumps, rolls over for her belly rub, smiles at me ect.... then when its down time under my chair growling at herself again. BIZARRE! I tell ya. Even my husband laughs sometimes " she is just like you with those mood swings" he says lol
I am now at the point of saying to myself" hmmm wonder what dog I will have today?, Tara or that other dog that occassionally rears its head"
I am just thankful her beahviors are not anything that can't be easily dealt with, it is however horrifying to see when she cowers like she's scared, to think that if anyone saw that they might think I hit her or something, I NEVER HIT TARA!

Bearsmom
April 28th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Bear was retarted until he hit 3 years old. He NEVER did a thing to my husband's stuff, but here's a list of stuff he used to do...

1. Ate ALL of my left shoes

2. ate4 television/satellite remotes.

3. shredded a wedding veil

4. demolished about 6 or 7 full size bed pillows.

5. destroyed a duvet

THEN he learned (as he's a BIG boy) to run full speed at me and slam his body into my knees.

Needless to say, he was enrolled in obedience shortly thereafter.

Now once he hit 3 years old, it was like some bell in his thick head went, "DING", and he settled down. Now you can barely get him to get off his lazy butt and go for a walk.

Ford Girl
April 29th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the responses, it's good to know that my pooch isn't the only one with adolecent attitude!!! 2 more things have happened since I posted ...she is really well behaved, so we notice these small things that are not like her....the other day she came up running behind me and nipped the back of my arm, you know the place where it hurts the most, I turned around and she went in to a perfect down position and looked at me like say was saying "what?"...then yestersay she was eating a very disgusting cow hoof - which she loves, and we have never had issues before with gaurding bones and what not from people, I walked by and she curled her lip and let out this tiny growl as she looked at me, so I do know it was directed at me, as I turned to go back towards her, she jumped up and brought me her hoof and dropped it at my feet, ears back then nudged it towards me...like she was saying...'ya, I know, I shouldn't have growled at you, but here's my bone if you want it!!" I do think they know what they are doing, at 8, 9 or 10 weeks, when you first bring them home - yes, their memory and attention span is short, but at 7 months when she continues to push it - she knows what she is doing, no doubt in my mind.

I posted a simular post on a Golden's site, the responses were full of naughty things their adolecent golden's did, I am glad to know it's a development stage.

H.P.
April 29th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I feel your pain! Syd is 9 months, and is doing the same things. She got some better after a trip to my see my family, where she played with my sister's older, large very dominant Husky/Akita mix. They play together well, but it took Syd down a notch. I still have to keep a really close eye on her and make sure that she gets a good workout a couple of times a day, or she will destroy things, but the aggression toward me has stopped. We still have official training time also. She is sleeping on my foot now :cloud9: so there is hope!

pamha
April 30th, 2007, 12:22 AM
When my Lola was this age, I found getting her playtime with another dog really helped her behavior for a few days anyway. I wish we could have done it more! Even a dog that wasn`t really dominate playing with her seemed to "reset" her manners for awhile.

Ford Girl
April 30th, 2007, 12:13 PM
A tired dog is a good dog!!! It does teach them so much to play with other dogs of all sizes, dominent and submissive, they learn so much from eachother. I try to socialize her every other day with a good hard play, the days in between are spent with us, on leash, training.

Little reminders are all they need. :thumbs up

Frenchy
April 30th, 2007, 12:48 PM
All my goldens were adopted when they were seniors BUT my sister's youngest golden, female 2 yr old , is this :evil: Yes she did go throug the puppy stage, the teenage stage and .....the teenage stage again this winter at 2 years old :eek: she had to be crated again. Good luck :D :p

Frenchy
April 30th, 2007, 12:50 PM
edited , should have said ; good luck,mwaaaaaaa ah ah. :evil:

coppperbelle
April 30th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Yup, all mine have gone through the adolescent stage. As for how long it lasts I don't remember.
It sounds like you are doing everything right. If you continue to be consistent she will get back on track soon enough.

jessi76
April 30th, 2007, 08:30 PM
I'm late to this thread, but figured i'd chime in.... yes, my dog went through it too (he's not a golden, he's a basenji-x). He never peed in the house, but he did test me. He was more of a challenger. I'd ask for a down, and he'd grumble and sit, or grumble and walk away, or just plain grumble.

for my dog it hit around 10mths, what my trainer lovingly referred to as "the idiot stage". and boy, was he right. Tucker was certainly an idiot at that age.

I stepped up training, kept to a strict routine, attended weekly training classes (pre-agility class - this was a more advanced skills training combined with a beginner agility course which REALLY tired out the dogs) and basically made him work for everything. he had to work to play, to eat, to walk, for attention, etc...

Ford Girl
May 4th, 2007, 03:12 PM
So, I have put away my nice duvet for the next few months, thought I would throw on an old comforter, just in case....

Well, when I opened my eyes this morning...Dazy was 1/2 under the bed with the corner of the blanket pulled under with her, she had chewed a hole in the top layer of material of my old comforter, and pulled the stuffing out!!! She was dancing around the room, all proud (are you familular with that dance when they have something they shouldn't?), I said "boys o boys", she looked at me, her mouth was so full of batting from the comforter, it was so stuffed in her jowels she looked like a huge block head!!! I said drop it - she spit it all out, took her awhile and laid on her bed, tail wagging, head down!! LOL! :evil:

3 weeks ago we had just let her start chooseing on her own between her kennel or her bed in our room (bedroom door closed, not allowed on our bed), when she sleeps in her kennel she can't stretch out as good and after a hard play we wanted her to rest well. I hate to have to lock her back up at night.

~michelle~
May 4th, 2007, 03:18 PM
I feel your pain we rescued logan when he was 8 month (his owner surrendered him because he was "untrainable") he was def having some adolescent issues

have no real tips to help you get through it, start at square one and reinforce all the training again, and have a bottle of wine and tequlia available at all times your going to need it!:D
best of luck

Ford Girl
May 4th, 2007, 03:31 PM
That's funny you would mention wine...last night I had too many glases of wine with my girlfirends, which is why I didn't hear or feel her munching on the blanket!!! :laughing: It was like 10 years old, I dont imagine it took her long to make a hole. had it been tequila, I might not have woken up at all! I am thankful she doesn't know that her stuffies are full of stuffing...as of yet anyways, dog help us if she ever finds out!!

H.P.
May 4th, 2007, 09:15 PM
The toys will come un-stuffed very soon probably. Two got killed here last night. We should have a stuffing pick up party (:evil::dog: tore my comforter up a week or so ago)

Kodiak Bear
May 16th, 2007, 01:50 AM
I was once told, goldens don't get a brain until they are two. My last one, was a puppy (teenager) until about 1 1/2 yrs, and then SUDDENLY the light went on and talk about an amazing dog. I was stunned.

Ford Girl
May 16th, 2007, 12:17 PM
I heard at 3 years you get your life back?? LOL! Until then, it's all about the dog. ha!

Since I last posted we've been doing so good, I do 15 - 30 minutes of training each night, she responds well to it, her behavior has been on track most of the time, a few times where she is very hyper - some jumping, growling, like a child on a sugar high, but nothing 5 minutes in her X-pen doesn't cure. No accidents in the house since the first post. :)

We are going camping this weekend, should be fun, there is going to be lots of off leash time, and about 8 dogs, altho I didn't realize she's have her own large rubbermaid, water jug and luggage! LOL!

bendyfoot
May 18th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Our GSD just turned 6 months old...I think she's starting adolescence early!!!
She's super-cheeky, is not listening to basic commands that she knows (come, go pee, sit etc.)...she's getting mouthy..she's been busting out of her play-room (which is where she sleeps) at ungodly hours - this morning at 4am - by climbing over the baby gate...and this morning, she POOPED on the floor!!! She hasn't had a housetraining accident since she was like 3 months old!!!

She's really testing us right now too...it's very exhausting! After the poop incident, the hammer's gonna fall. We're going to really focus on her obedience work, and it's going to be the land of "nothing for free" for a while. Sigh. Brats.

Ford Girl
May 22nd, 2007, 02:11 PM
We took Dazy camping this weekend, she was fantastic for the first 2.5 days, excellent off leash recall, checking in with me every 5 minutes, no jumping on people, nice play with other dogs...then on day 3...she decided not to listen at all, so she was on leash for the last 2 days (I think it was harder on me then her). She was gaurding sticks a bit, but all the dogs were so tired, there were 7 dogs, and there were little tiffs all the time.

With the extra training we have done, so far, so good, the improvment is noticable, now it's just up to us to continue it...some days it's so tiring. :o

purple01
November 14th, 2007, 01:55 PM
You are so right goldie`s have no brain, our last adorable Shadow who we lost end of January to nasal cancer (12yrs) was a nightmare albeit hilarious and jet propelled, leather was his fave fetish the more pricey the better, he reached 2 and the light went on, didn`t calm down though till he was about 7. Guess what we`ve done it all again, this time Simba`s our resident nutter, 7mnths old and just as crazy! Oh boy am I glad, house not a home without a dog, not to me and hubby anyway, we must be totally off this planet as thinking about another one when madness is a bit older.
Hope you didn`t mind me joining in late, sitting reading laughing my head off and sympathising.

Ford Girl
November 14th, 2007, 04:05 PM
This thread feels like a life time ago, she is now such a good girl but boy o boy was she alot of work! No rest for the wicked I guess? Dazy's still tries to be bossy but really she's a good girl and very eager to please, she's 14 months old now, what a difference time makes. :angel: Don't get me wrong, she's still hyper and clumsy and bold, but far less then she was at 7 months!! :evil:

All I can say is that the training has to be consistant and throught their life time, keep them tired and in line. :laughing:

JanM
November 14th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Amber went through that stage too - thank dawg it didn't last very long with her but she pushed every button known to mankind and dogkind! She was, I think - about the same age as Dazy. I reinforced the basic "rules" and she soon came back to the wonderful puppy she is. BUT - she hit it again when she reached 2 yrs and she was a holy terror! She has improved immensely - one dog in particular that she used to scrap with, she now plays with! Again, when this behaviour started I reinforced the basic rules - I had to really put my foot down a couple of times - like once she bolted when we left the yard to go to the car - ran out onto the street and barked at some people who were walking by. I took her by the collar without saying a word and put her in the yard - Bobby got in the car and we left. We drove around the block and got her - she has never bolted out of the yard since.

All I can say is - hang in there! THis phase will pass.

JanM
November 14th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I forgot to mention that, during Amber's first "phase" - she stood right in front of me - looked right at me - and peed on the floor. She knew it wasn't a good thing to do but she was being that defiant... It only happened once though (thank goodness). I was so surprised that I didn't reprimand her at all - I guess she figured she had made her point :D