Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

canine brain tumor

girlie
April 25th, 2007, 09:55 AM
In Feb. of this year my 9 yr. old golden was diagnosed w/ an inoperable brain tumor. The findings came through an MRI after she had 2 seizures. She was put on meds and things seem to calm down for her during the next 2 months. Then, she had another seizure, which the vet wasn't too alarmed about considering her condition, but a week later she had another. Since then, it seems they were coming 10 days apart, until the last 2 weeks. She had back to back days, and then last night, one at 7pm and the other at 3am. These also appeared to be more violent than the rest, w/ her head twisting backwards. Her breathing seems so labored even after the whole thing is done. I am told her heart is not affected, can this be true?? Could she possibly have a heart attack? With this condition, how do you know when it's the "right" time? Does anyone have any experience w/ this sort of thing? If so, any help is appreciated.:pray: She's a good girl and I just want the very best for her.

dizzimom
April 25th, 2007, 10:17 AM
I am so sorry to heard about your golden. I think I would have to start thinking that enough is enough. Does she seem to be in pain? I think that if that was my Lucky and he was in pain, I would let him go to doggy heaven. I can't imagine life without Lucky however I can't stand to see him suffer. Lucky also has seizures. However his are every few months. It mainly seems to be when he is too hot. The vet can't find anything however we know two of his sisters have seizures too. Again I am sorry.

Winston
April 25th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Girlie..what did the vet say? Did the vet give her siezure meds? I am not too familiar with this type of situation but would certainly want to advise the vet that the frequency of the seizures has increased?? Good Luck! Spend all the time you can with her....

Cindy

mummummum
April 25th, 2007, 10:59 AM
I'm so very sorry you and your kiddo are having to live through this Girlie. But I'm wondering if you and her neurologist made a decision against radiation/chemo because of her age or are there other health factors present which rule out this treatment path?

I'm also wondering if her seizure meds have been adjusted since February. Most often in progressive illnesses, the initial dosage is no longer appropriate over the passage of time and quite often a specific medication simply stops being effective but another can be tried.

girlie
April 25th, 2007, 12:11 PM
I am so sorry to heard about your golden. I think I would have to start thinking that enough is enough. Does she seem to be in pain? I think that if that was my Lucky and he was in pain, I would let him go to doggy heaven. I can't imagine life without Lucky however I can't stand to see him suffer. Lucky also has seizures. However his are every few months. It mainly seems to be when he is too hot. The vet can't find anything however we know two of his sisters have seizures too. Again I am sorry.

thanks for responding......bailey does not seem to be in pain, she just has to go through what I think is a tough period before she is back to "herself".....she seems to be more tired at first than anything.....this is where my quandry comes into play.....for the most part, she's okay, except the time around the seizures.... the last 2 nights were kind of warm, so maybe that came into play....I don't know :confused:

thanks again for taking the time

girlie
April 25th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Girlie..what did the vet say? Did the vet give her siezure meds? I am not too familiar with this type of situation but would certainly want to advise the vet that the frequency of the seizures has increased?? Good Luck! Spend all the time you can with her....

Cindy


Cindy,

The vet put her on phenobarbital for the seizures and a steriod, dexamethasone, for any inflammation around the brain. It seemed to be working and now maybe not as much. I don't want to over medicate her. She's not in pain, but does go through a tough time when they occur.

Thanks for responding.

Donna

girlie
April 25th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I'm so very sorry you and your kiddo are having to live through this Girlie. But I'm wondering if you and her neurologist made a decision against radiation/chemo because of her age or are there other health factors present which rule out this treatment path?

I'm also wondering if her seizure meds have been adjusted since February. Most often in progressive illnesses, the initial dosage is no longer appropriate over the passage of time and quite often a specific medication simply stops being effective but another can be tried.


Yes, I did rule out the radiation. 3x's a week for 5 wks., plus her age and the fact she would have to be put under, just didn't seem like a good idea. I have put in a call to her doctor to talk about adjusting or changing her meds.

Thanks for yor thoughts.