Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Foods You Can't Bring Yourself To Eat

Lukka'sma
April 25th, 2007, 08:57 AM
I just can't imagine eating seafood. The thought of it makes me gag. It's like taking something that lives it's life clinging to a rock and spreading it on a cracker:yuck:
Also I have never had the nerve to eat brie. Can't tell you what it tastes like but I know what it looks like...ox snot.

LavenderRott
April 25th, 2007, 09:01 AM
I love seafood but I can't do mushrooms! They are a fungus for goodness sake! Like athletes foot!

Hunter's_owner
April 25th, 2007, 09:04 AM
I like most seafood, not scallops though, I will Never eat that:yuck:
I love mushrooms, fungus or not, whatever:shrug: :laughing:

I do not like cooked brocolli or brussel sprouts and cottage cheese:yuck:
I am sure there are other things, like a lot of meats, but that is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Lukka'sma
April 25th, 2007, 09:08 AM
I love mushrooms, fungus or not, whatever:shrug: :laughing:
I do not like cooked brocolli or brussel sprouts and cottage cheese:yuck:

Funny...I love cooked brocolli, brussel sprouts and cottage cheese (especially with mandarines poured over top)
Now lets talk about this business about eating shrooms.....there ought to be a law.....;)

badger
April 25th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Insects, in fact any meat. The CBC's man in China did a piece on a restaurant that serves penises from every conceivable species, including snakes (they have two). At the end, he recorded himself gagging in the bathroom.

HunterXHunter
April 25th, 2007, 09:21 AM
I have never like the look or taste of eggplant. I also don't like cheese...unless it's melted on something :D

Hunter's_owner
April 25th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Funny...I love cooked brocolli, brussel sprouts and cottage cheese (especially with mandarines poured over top)
Now lets talk about this business about eating shrooms.....there ought to be a law.....;)

Gee Lukka'sma sounds like we are quite the opposite:laughing:
About the "shrooms" lmao:footinmouth: :laughing:

LibbyP
April 25th, 2007, 09:31 AM
For me it would have to be.... alot:laughing:
- no cream of soup - mushroom, tomato :yuck:
- veal, lamb I have never tried and I won't now
- chicken/turkey white meat only
- all my meat must be med to well done
I do like seafood, mushrooms, and cherry tomato's, wild game

I have a thing about taste and texture ~ huge gag reflex :o

luckypenny
April 25th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Mmmmm, I could eat all of the above minus the snake penises, of course.

I could never bring myself to taste pickled tongue, brain, liver, and blood sausage :yuck: .

gomez
April 25th, 2007, 09:42 AM
insects, offal (except for chopped liver or pate), lamb, blue cheese, salmon, urchin...

Kristin7
April 25th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I love mushrooms! And seafood... and most anything else resembling food.

Foods I hate or would not even try: HOT DOGS, tripe, insects, brain, penises (ewwww!)

Frenchy
April 25th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Meat :yuck: I do eat ground beef, some chicken sometimes, but not if I don't have too.

happycats
April 25th, 2007, 12:00 PM
okay for me , I can't bring myself to try any of these.

-raw oysters (looks to much like snot:yuck: )
- no cream of anything soup
- head cheese
-blood pudding (what a misleading name, for the one above also:yuck: )
-limberger cheese (you can smell it long before you see it:eek: )
-veal
-cows tounge ( like a french kiss gone bad:eek: )

Basically anything else you can't buy in your local grocery store (penises, testicals, rats, pigeons........)

HunterXHunter
April 25th, 2007, 12:26 PM
-raw oysters (looks to much like snot:yuck: )

Oh you are missing out!!! That stuff is awesome! ...but come to think of it, I like a lot of food raw/rare...oysters, steak, sushi....

mummummum
April 25th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Well at one point I was a complete Vegan and consumed absolulely no animal products internally or externally. It started when I was a young child in a typical meat, potatoes and a veg family - any kind of meat or milk just made me sick.

The smell of bacon frying sent me hurtling, now, when I smell bacon ~ I think "home". Thirty-five or so years later I will once or twice a year have seafood (I have problems peeling shrimp :eek: but, if you are going to eat it you should know what it looked like when it had eyes that could see you) the odd pat of butter and milk if it's in something someone else has made.

I had a real problem with mushrooms because of course the only kinds we had when I was young were canned and fresh button mushrooms ~ still can't stand them but enoki, porcini, oyster, chanterelles and the like I have come to savour.

The three things I absolutely cannot eat are raw oysters, tapioca (and by association Bubble Tea) and sashimi (fyi a presentation of fish which is raw and cut larger and thicker than for sushi style).

SableCollie
April 25th, 2007, 12:45 PM
One word. Tofu. :yuck: And I'm a vegan, but I just can't do it, the texture is too gross.

Shamrock
April 25th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Cant bring myself to eat blue cheese, escargot, oysters raw or cooked, and any animal "innards":
I occassionaly make liver treats for my dog, but even dealing with it is gross to me...the smell of it cooking..:sick:

Mushrooms I enjoy, though can see why people are turned off them.
I'm suprised at the creamed soup aversions, though.:confused:

I'm with Sable Collie on the tofu too.:) yuck.

BusterBoo
April 25th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Cant bring myself to eat blue cheese, escargot, oysters raw or cooked, and any animal "innards":
I occassionaly make liver treats for my dog, but even dealing with it is gross to me...the smell of it cooking..:sick:

Mushrooms I enjoy, though can see why people are turned off them.
I'm suprised at the creamed soup aversions, though.:confused:

I'm with Sable Collie on the tofu too.:) yuck.

Sounds like you were looking in my cupboard!

Add: mussels and clams

However I LOVE lobster, shrimp, crab legs,

happycats
April 25th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Oh you are missing out!!! That stuff is awesome! ...but come to think of it, I like a lot of food raw/rare...oysters, steak, sushi....

I love blue rare steak and I also love sushi, but I just can't get over the raw oysters consistancy of snot! ( hmmmm I eat eggs sunny side up......hmmm...maybe I'll try em!! just pretend there an egg:D )

Ford Girl
April 25th, 2007, 01:58 PM
I can't eat barley, the texture on my teeth makes me gag, other then that, I like everything. Sushi is one of my favorites. I grew up eating moose, rabbit, deer, elk, bear, all kinds of wild animals. :) My husband on the other hand is very very picky.

Shamrock
April 25th, 2007, 01:58 PM
oh, and caviar! This has "got" to be an acquired taste...:D

Skryker
April 25th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Count me in the no cream-of-anything soup crowd. Some chowders (as long as it's not a seafood chowder :yuck: ) are OK, and Cock-a-leekie soup (which is basically cream of chicken and potato:shrug: ) is fine, but I find cream-based soups too heavy and rich for me. Add creamed veggies to the list-no creamed corn, peas or spinach for me!

No brussels sprouts, no organ meats, no black or blood pudding, no headcheese. I don't like lobster or crab or shrimp or oysters, but love fresh fish and scallops, and can eat fried clams.

I'm kinda picky about food :o -which makes my husband laugh at me, since one of my favourite snacks is Dulse-dried kelp! So he calls me a "sea-weed eating freak".

I worked for too many years in a grocery store so tongue, liver, tripe, kidneys ect would be out just for texture and smell reasons if they weren't already out just because the idea grosses me out.

Lukka'sma
April 25th, 2007, 03:08 PM
So quite a few of you have some real aversions to certain foods.
Seems seafood and organ meats come up a lot in this thread. I don't care for either.
The dislike of cream anything I don't understand. I love creamed soups or sauces. I am a sauce or gravy nut. Smother it is what I say.
I also do not like french fries. Although I love baked, boiled potatoes, turn them into french fries and they will be safe with me.

technodoll
April 25th, 2007, 03:09 PM
well the obvious... organ meats, wild game, stinky or strong cheeses, stinky fish, shellfish, insects, goat milk & products...

and the weird: olives, fennel seed, any fruit with crunchy seeds (berries, pears, etc), green and yellow beans, bitter greens, mincemeat pie, cold soups... :o

but i could live on soup alone, mmm!

Lukka'sma
April 25th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Oh and caraway seeds. My God those are awful

LibbyP
April 25th, 2007, 03:49 PM
looks like we would be a hard group to go out for dinner :laughing: :laughing:

technodoll
April 25th, 2007, 04:08 PM
spaghetti for everyone! LOL

chico2
April 25th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Things I won't eat,PASTA(probably the only person in the world:D )escargot,lobster,shrimp,liver,mushrooms any wild game(everything hubby loves:D)cottage cheese,tofu,yogurt,buttermilk:yuck:
Oh I forgot,POUTINE:yuck:

heidiho
April 25th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Oh my god,seafood is the best.I cannot bring myself to eat mushrooms,they look dirty and just gross.....

breeze
April 25th, 2007, 04:32 PM
For dinner how about salad and fruit?? I think that is the only thing that is left no??

Prin
April 25th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Too many things to list, but the major ones: seafood, fungi, eggplant, stinky cheeses, seafood... :D

LavenderRott
April 25th, 2007, 05:08 PM
spaghetti for everyone! LOL

So long as there aren't any mushrooms in that sauce!!

Skryker
April 25th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Or stinky cheeses to put on top of the spaghetti!

I can't eat olives-I like the taste OK but when I bite into one, my throat closes up and I can't swallow it (no rude jokes, please! :D ). Green are the worst, I can eat black olives when they are hot and can mainly handle kalamata olives. :shrug:

I won't eat feta cheese unless it's in a filling for something, and goat cheese and blue cheeses are right out! :yuck:

heidiho
April 25th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Rice cakes for everyone..

LavenderRott
April 25th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Rice cakes for everyone..

AAACCCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!!!

Can't we at least all agree on something with flavor?

jesse's mommy
April 25th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I can't stand the smell or taste of Sloppy Joe. My parents force fed it to me when I was a child and the smell is enough to set me off. :yuck: I also don't like onions, peppers, tomatos, celery, lettuce (unless it's the 'leafy' part), mayonaisse on a warm sandwich -- the list goes on. I'm a VERY picky eater. :o

heidiho
April 25th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Broth!!!!:laughing: :laughing:

heidiho
April 25th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Thats funny.,i am a very picky eater to,when my mom would make meatloaf she would have to purifee the onions and peppers because i cant eat stuff with chunky thigns in it..

jesse's mommy
April 25th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I can't eat "chunky" things in my food either. Meatloaf is another one to add to my list. I would get the smallest piece possible and it would seriously take me an hour and a half to eat it because I would pick EVERY onion and pepper out of it. It would drive my parents crazy. They tried the "there are starving kids in Ethiopa" speech with me and I told them to mail it to them because I wasn't eating it. Then they would do the "you're not leaving this table until you eat your dinner" and they would find me at 9:00 at night with my head on the table sleeping and my plate pushed away from me. :o

Stacer
April 25th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Wow, I truly thought I was a picky eater, but after reading all of your responses I'm not so picky afterall. I'm more of a "I can only eat that in certain situations" kind of perosn.
Such as: I can oly eat onions when they're in things and only if they're in small pieces.
Ground beef-I hate the smell of it and the taste of it alone, but when in things I don't mind it so much.
Green, red and yellow peppers- won't eat them raw, but if they're chopped and in things they're tasty.
Mos things that I dislike I can eat if they're camouflaged in other things

I love seafood and creamy soups, mushrooms.

My husband on the other hand can not under any circumstances eat fruit. he can't really explain it, but it has alot to do with the texture and the burstiness of most fruit, his gag reflex is very sensitive to fruit.

jesse's mommy
April 25th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I definitely have texture issues. If you notice, a lot of the foods I mentioned above have a distinct "crunch" to them and I can't stand that. It gives me the heebee geebees. :o

Puppyluv
April 25th, 2007, 06:41 PM
My goodness we have a picky bunch here.:laughing:
I guess there are things I don't particularily enjoy, but I'll eat them.. like pate, deep fried food and chocolate.
Otherwise, the only things I just won't eat are either english or scottish traditional foods- such as blood pudding, haggis and yorkshire pudding.

Prin
April 25th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Is there any kid who hasn't been forced to eat sloppy joes? :sick: :crazy:

technodoll
April 25th, 2007, 07:08 PM
um.... glasses of water for everyone? :confused: :D

Puppyluv
April 25th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Is there any kid who hasn't been forced to eat sloppy joes? :sick: :crazy:

I've never had em.:shrug:

heidiho
April 25th, 2007, 07:11 PM
God i remember that,one stands out when i was gonna go roller skating and i had to finish my peas.which are on the list of disgusting foods i will not touch or even smell,and i remember keeping them in my mouth and spitting out under the stairs outside so i could go,i have no idea how i remember that,i had to be like 11.....I love red,yellow,or orange peppers by themselves but not in or on my food..I love nuts but not in my cookies or anything either...

Prin
April 25th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Really? Spaggy sauce on bread? It's the po' people's favorite kiddie meal next to KD.:D

Chocolate mousse cake? :lovestruck:

technodoll
April 25th, 2007, 07:13 PM
those gross yogurt drinks, specially if room temp :yuck:

erykah1310
April 25th, 2007, 07:29 PM
For me its seafood... im in that boat as well.

glasslass
April 25th, 2007, 07:29 PM
More wine! :thumbs up I love seafood, shrooms, liver, tofu, eggplant, blue cheese,all that good stuff, except the other organ meats, and insects :yuck: However, when we were guests in Japan, we were served steamed snails. Not escargot, not disguised by garlic, but steamed snails cooked in the shell. It wasn't dark so you could see it, but we did have plenty of wine. Drink enough wine and you can eat anything! I would never hurt feelings by refusing it when I knew it was a special, and expensive, treat. Same went for eating raw crab in the sushi bar! More of that hot saki please! Only texture I really don't like is that of fresh, ripe apricots. Can't stand that tongue-coating texture. Apricot syrup, apricot jam, dried apricots - all my favorite, so it's definitely the texture.

heidiho
April 25th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Sushi!!!!!!! mmmmmmm!! Nothing like good expensive sushi,it is a sexy dish to.......

Frenchy
April 25th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Wow, I truly thought I was a picky eater, but after reading all of your responses I'm not so picky afterall.

Me too ! I will make my mom read these posts :D It's really only meat I don't like, I eat anything else, specially sea food...now I'm hungry.

marsupial mama
April 25th, 2007, 07:43 PM
most seafood

fish - especially with bones (iiiick)

all organ meats

sloppy joe in bread (I like the sauce on its own or with pasta or rice)

hamburgers

nutella or chocolate spread on bread

many fruits (especially pears - gritty - and very ripe bananas - squeam!)

tofu. I tried so hard, but ... ugh

Kraft dinner

There's not much I do eat, it seems... but for what it's worth I love poutine! :ca:

happycats
April 25th, 2007, 08:10 PM
More wine! However, when we were guests in Japan, we were served steamed snails. Not escargot, not disguised by garlic, but steamed snails cooked in the shell.

LOL when I was little my friends parents served me snails like that (they were Italian) and my friend taught me how to slurp those things right out of the shell! yum yum they were good:D

Drink enough wine and you can eat anything! LOL....nope liver would still make me upchuck.

Only texture I really don't like is that of fresh, ripe apricots. Can't stand that tongue-coating texture. Apricot syrup, apricot jam, dried apricots - all my favorite, so it's definitely the texture.
I can't eat peaches for that very reason, unless I scrub the skin off with a scrubby, but it's just easier to buy necturines:)

x.l.r.8
April 25th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Ok i'm drooling over all this great food you all won't eat, I thought I was a picky eater but I guess I had so much to choose from I never could make up my mind.
EXCEPT PARSNIPS, i grow them every year and try one, still can't stand them, i've roasted them (plain and in home made maple) fried, baked and mashed with carrots and swede. I just can't stand them horrible white overgrown carrots.
Other than that I'd pretty much eat anything. A mans gotta eat right :o

papillonmama
April 26th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Has anyone said octopus yet? I will not touch octopus or squid, those tentacles freak me out!:eek: Some other seafood, not so bad.

Canned meat. Nuff said.

I can't stand the gritty feeling of pears either.

Dried fruit and anything jarred and swimming in oil. :sick:

Hunter's_owner
April 26th, 2007, 08:40 AM
I actually like squid:o No tentacles involved when I eat them though, lol

Frenchy
April 26th, 2007, 11:29 AM
oh yes squid , yummy. And do you know what I'm having Saterday ? Stingray ...with lots of garlic butter :cloud9:

technodoll
April 26th, 2007, 11:34 AM
oooo i have another one: eggnog!! :yuck: :yuck:

happycats
April 26th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Pickeled harring (sp)? ewwwww,
fish was not meant to be pickeled!!

mussels.....the way they look.....like.....ummmm....well it's a family board so I can't say.....but how the heck do you get past the look to eat them..??

Rick C
April 26th, 2007, 11:50 AM
I can't eat peppers, snails, turnips.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

MollysMommy
April 26th, 2007, 01:44 PM
How can anyone not love bleu cheese or feta or brie?!

God, olives are truly heinous. I can't eat one without gagging.

Other nasties:
eggs
mushrooms
onions
red meat that isn't well done...the rare, bloody kind makes me sick
meatloaf
beef stroganoff
anything with cream of mushroom soup in it (gag)

Beef stroganoff is truly awful though..

Lukka'sma
April 26th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I can't eat turnips.
Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

How can anyone not love turnips.
I have some in the steamer as we speak. After it's cooked in the steamer I take a cast iron frying pan and add obscene amounts of butter and a touch of brown sugar, let it caramelize a bit then dump in the turnips and heat. yum yum

chico2
April 26th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I LOVE turnip!!
I don't think people were meant to eat awful things like squid,octopus,fresh oysters etc...hubby does not agree,I just look away when he eats it:laughing:
My favourite meal is a medium done steak,a salad,good FF and a beer,I leave sushi:yuck: and all that other awful stuff,like cottage cheese,tofu,feta cheese for others to eat.
Love Brie,x-tra old cheddar,Camembert,Tilsit,old nippy cheese,could easily live on cheese and bagettes,throw in a few beers and I'll be happy:laughing: keep the fishy stuff away,unless it comes in breaded stick-form:laughing:

poodletalk
April 26th, 2007, 03:55 PM
throw in a few beers

Are you sure your not Irish Chico?

Lukka'sma
April 26th, 2007, 04:16 PM
throw in a few beers

ewwwww:yuck: beer:yuck:

chico2
April 26th, 2007, 04:39 PM
On no,Poodletalk,very Swedish actually:laughing: but now 99,9% Canadian
I have 2 beers a day,every day,as part of my very good diet:laughing:
No wine or other booze for me:yuck:

Rick C
April 27th, 2007, 03:27 PM
On no,Poodletalk,very Swedish actually:laughing: but now 99,9% Canadian
I have 2 beers a day,every day,as part of my very good diet:laughing:
No wine or other booze for me:yuck:

I drank entirely too much beer in college and in my 20's, then walked away for about a decade having zero . . . . . . but these days I DO love to go running for an hour or more with the big carrot reward of an ice-cold beer waiting for me at home if I just keep plugging away.

One beer or so a day . . . . no more than one though.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

chico2
April 27th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Well Rick,I have 2 one while cooking and one with dinner...or on a hot summerday,after cutting the grass,nothing tastes better.:thumbs up

CyberKitten
April 27th, 2007, 05:43 PM
There is very little I have not attempted - and in foreign countries, esp a family who has little and is sharing what they have with you - one can hardly say no so I have had some "stuff" that reminds me of some of the challenges on Survivor, lol

Of course, I LOVE seafood - I even actually LIKE dulce and busy it on occasion. It is certainly good for you. More than once, I have joked with my confrères in Docs sans Borders by saying where I come from we eat ferns and seaweed, lol (I LOVE fiddleheads - one of my fav veggie by far!! I could make a meal just with hot fiddleheads and butter, OMG, it is to die for!) I have some that grow on my land so we pick it at the right tine, I do not like it forozen tho - it has to be fresh!!

I do not like turnips or cucumbers or am not that keen about ham tho I like bacon. I am not even keen on some Irish food - the tater is not my best food but I'll eat if pressed but at home with just me and bf, we tend top eat rice and pasta. More rice actually. I don't like the smell of cabbage - I want to literally throw up when I smell it.

I come from a family that has an Irish heritage and some members are observant Jews so it can get tricky so I hide the bacon and the lobster (tho you know, I think there should be a special dispensation for Jews who live in Atlantic Canada - it is just so NOT fair, lol)

But no cabbage please, EVER!!! But bacon and lobster if certain members of my family are not looking - is OK. Just not with milk tho!!!! We don;t want to get this too out of hand, lol (Tho I do drink copious milk - LOVE milk!) Not soy milk tho - that's enuf to make me barf! I stick with skim or 1% cow's milk.

NB - I do like beer but it does like me and I never know when someone may call from the hospital so I have become not much of a drinker of alcohol at all. at all! (as the Irish say!) I like that lemon beer I bought in Quebec - quite good - but the last time I drank anything with alcohol in it is quite some time ago, Someone called to do a survey and I could not recall, lol The thing is, I don't miss it, surprisingly. I do like the occasional Chardonnay but even then I have to watch it so one glass is it.

Skryker
April 27th, 2007, 06:05 PM
:o I would NOT eat fiddleheads as a kid-no way, no how, but I love them now. Definitely fresh, not frozen. They're too mushy when they've been frozen. :yuck:

I wouldn't eat beet or turnip greens when I was a kid, either, although they are a family fav Down East (Mom's family is from New Brunswick)-I thought they smelled really, really bad. Turns out the greens are fine, it's the malt vinegar that everyone put on them that I dislike. :yuck: :yuck:

I break down here and occasionally buy a little bitty bag of dulse but I usually wait until Mom and Dad bring some of the good stuff back from the East Coast for me. Last time I just had to have some, it cost me $2.99 for a 100g bag. :eek: That's a far cry from the 10 pounds for 10 bucks we paid right on Grand Mannan Island!

CyberKitten
April 27th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Well, $10 for 10 lbs is $1 a lb but still, that seems expensive for dulce. You can pick it up on the beach on Grand Manan for free! I buy mine for a 1.99 sometimes at the Superstore or a market in Halifax.

I am not the biggest fan of Dulce but I will buy it and crunch on it now and then. I brought it with me to a Canadian Medical Assn meeting once and it was not the easiest sell, lol (Yo would have thought I was Jeff on Survivor - you want us to eat "THAT", lol Seaweed???? But it is wicked good for you -- so many nutrients, esp iodine!!! Wonderful for ppl with goiter probs or some thyroid conditions tho pls check with your doctor before you eat if if you do have any of those!!

Skryker
April 27th, 2007, 06:26 PM
:D Is it ever a hard sell! I've had people try it and tell me it's like eating a salty garbage bag, lol! :laughing: And we had some in our car once, crossing the border-the officer was sure we had some sort of illicit drugs or something but her partner glanced at it and told her it was just dulse, no big deal. :D She must have thought we were stupid criminals, since there was a bag of it on the back seat with me, and a larger bag right on top of all the stuff in the trunk. :rolleyes:

The worst though, is when you've convinced someone to try it and they crunch down on a missed shell. :laughing:

heidiho
April 27th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I just have to mention ,the one thing i am now hooked on and cannot believe it is oatmeal,omg w/ honey and 2 equals put in it,never thought i would love love oatmeal but i do....

Boubou
April 27th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Oh, meat and stinky cheeses, yuck!

I still have to cook meat for my family, but I try not to think about what it is, grosses me out totally!!

Love just about everything else, including tofu, veggie sushi, soy milk and anything sweet (my biggest fault, I have to admit!).....

technodoll
April 27th, 2007, 11:19 PM
I can't do soy milk. I. will. puke.

oh and powdered milk too. vomit :yuck: