Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dollar Store Investigation

rainbow
April 25th, 2007, 12:07 AM
If some of you shop at any of the Dollar stores you might want to make note of this.

A news investigation on dollar stores discovered that Crest, Colgate and other brand name toothpastes weren't the same as from drug and grocery stores, etc. The toothpastes were manufactured in many other countries and are not approved by the American Dental Association (ADA).

There was even some from South Africa and the fluoride is ten times stronger (prescription strength) than what we're allowed in the U.S. They're allowed stronger because they don't have fluoridated water (like we do). So if we (or our kids) use it often and occasionally swallow it, we could be poisoning ourselves.

The dollar stores declined to comment and a full investigation has begun. So stick to paying full-price at your grocery store, drug store, and send this e-mail to anyone who MIGHT shop at dollar stores.

This is a true story it has been confirmed read below:
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/toothpaste.asp

Be careful also of food products, cake mixes, cereal, pet food, etc.

TeriM
April 25th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Can't say I'm surprised. I was looking at some salmon for the dogs once there but just didn't comfortable buying it. Kept thinking it was probably the stuff rejected for high chemical levels or something. Feel much safer waiting for the good sales at the regular stores.

Maya
April 25th, 2007, 12:41 AM
That doesn't surpise me either. I've actually been quite disappointed with dollar stores lately. I went into one we have here the other day and saw a lot of drug store things of pretty low quality priced about the same as anywhere else. This one also had a large selection of different sized choker chains.:sad: Sorry slightly off topic but I didn't realize how common they were. It seems like some kind of ancient torture device.:P

chico2
April 25th, 2007, 07:02 AM
To me Dollar-stores have a purpose,for little things like wrappingpaper,gift-bags,hairclips etc...but I would never buy anything edible or any cosmetics.
It's just common sense,there is a reason the products are in a $$-store.

HunterXHunter
April 25th, 2007, 08:10 AM
I love this particular comic strip so I'll post it again since it has to do with snopes...hehe

SnowDancer
April 25th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I remember CyberKitten once posted about things she trusts from the Dollar Store - and Toothpaste was most definitely NOT one of said items.!

technodoll
April 25th, 2007, 09:49 AM
but I would never buy anything edible or any cosmetics.

i buy sardines there for the kids, they are the exact same brand as in the grocery store but half price. i also scoop up brand-name shampoo, conditioner, etc when they have it, always very satisfied when i see the saaaame things at the drugstore 4 or 5 times more expensive. I also buy sponges, lightbulbs, ziplocks, rubber goves, shoelaces, etc, and tennis balls for the kids... gum, some candies, etc. Brand-name stuff. :thumbs up

mummummum
April 25th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Having recently taken a number of Occupational Health and Safety courses I have learned to never buy anything from a dollarstore which is regulated by a standard. Apparently many of the CSA labels are falsified. The CSA label means all products entering into or manufactured in Canada are tested for safety and adherence to industry standard. So things like lightbulbs, batteries ~ a big no-no. Cleaning products ? No way. You are taking you life in your hands.

I don't frequent dollarstores anymore anyway since virtually all of their products are made in China and I refuse to give my money to a country which routinely slaughters and tortures animals, not to mention their labour and human rights record and don't even get me started on their environment :yell: :eek: .

I'm of the mindset, "it's not just-about-me" anymore ~ I'll pay the extra buck elsewhere and in doing so hopefully support our own economy, leave a lighter footprint on the earth and contribute less the harm of animals and humans. :fingerscr

erykah1310
April 25th, 2007, 04:15 PM
During our monthly safety meetings at work, we have info on recalled electrical stuff.
One thing was the dollar store brand extension cords. I dont remember the specifics, but they dont work properly and dont meet CSA codes.

Prin
April 25th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I've never bought anything from the dollar store... :o

Skryker
April 25th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I do get some things at the dollar store, particularly stuff to decorate with but now I have to rethink that, given that it is all made in China...I never trusted the idea of cheap electrical goods, though. :shrug: Didn't seem safe.

Oh, and I was getting chocolate bars there because I knew they were coming from the Hershey's plant in Smith's Falls. Now that Hershey's has decided to move that plant to Mexico, I won't buy them anymore. Smith's Falls is going to be devastated when that plant goes-not just the plant jobs but all the collateral damage to the local economy. :sad:

CyberKitten
April 25th, 2007, 05:36 PM
There was some investigation into this last year and toothpaste especially is made without meeting the standards for fluoride and so forth here. I never buy that kind of stuff there anyway - check the label of anything before you buy it, not just at the Dollar Store!!

rainbow
April 25th, 2007, 06:04 PM
The dollar store here gets the expensive bread brands that expire that day or the next. They sell in the supermarket for up to $3.69 a loaf and you get them for $1.00 a loaf. I always get a couple and throw them in the freezer.

The only other thing I buy is wrapping paper and bows.

trippincherri
April 25th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I buy some things from the dollar store nothing edible, or for cleaning.
Stuff like tennis balls for the dogs, scrapbooking supplies, gift wrap.
I also bought a whole bunch of metal dog dishes there and donated them to our rescue society since they were only $1.00!!
But other than that I prefer to use the brands from my local drug/grocery stores...I'm picky I guess lol.

CyberKitten
April 27th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I have to confess I like Dollar stores, lol But I never buy food there. Just stationary and cards and scrapbook stuff (which I have yet to find time to use, lol) I have a wall of pictures of my patients and I want to make a scrapbook - keep the wall but add somethin gt o it, Anyone have any ideas? I can start a new thread if you do....

Frenchy
April 27th, 2007, 08:19 PM
I buy candles at the dollar store. Oh and I bought wine glasses the other day, I really like them.