- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


my 2 kittens

April 24th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Okay, as you may or may not know, my cat socks had a litter of 3 kittens, 2 girls and a boy. I gave the one girl (Holly) to my grandmom and kept Missy(girl) and Kasey(boy) for myself. I was just wondering, should I at all be worried about them like mating or anything? My mom made an appointment for them to go get fixed a while ago, and now basically we are just waiting. The appointment is for The end of May or begining of June or something. Over a month from now. They just turned 4 months old on the 20th.

Is there any chance Missy could get pregnant before then? Theres nothing going on between them now, just normal kitten play, fighting and biting and chasing and stuff.

I'm just worried that they will forget they are brother and sister and Missy will get pregnant.

Am I over worrying??

April 24th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Kittens can come into heat at 5 months old. I would get Missy spayed before that. I would also get Kasey neutered. And, they don't care if they're brother and sister.

April 24th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Yes!!! Have them neutered and spayed asap!! Some kittens even come into heat as early as four months - so you may watch them and even keep them apart until the surgery is over. Of course, not all kittens do so at 4 months but I know of several who have and it certainly does occur - and that could b a disaster!! Any kitten is too young at that age and you would have to have an abortion as well as a spay procedure - complicating matters even further. If I were in your position, I;d cal lyour vet tomorrow and ask him or her how soon s/he can fit them in!

April 25th, 2007, 12:03 AM
They are too small though. Like it's not possible to properly do the surgery. They just had a vet visit not too long ago and the vet said it's not possible yet.

Thats so weird though, how can they not relieze they are brother and sister? They have been together since birth. They even look the same adn smell the same.

That's just somewhat creepy o-o

I'll have my mom call the vet if it seems like anythings going on with them. Right now they are still babies and aren't showing any signs at all of maturity. all they do is wrestle and play all day. Plus, kaseys little thingys are just that.. tiny. I don't know if that has any relavance, but I thought you had to wait for them to get a bit bigger before the surgery can be done.

April 25th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Please have them fixed ASAP, I made the mistake of waiting - now I have 4 more to find homes for.


April 25th, 2007, 05:33 PM
How would a 4 pound kitten smaller then a bag of flour manage to hold any kittens? That just seems crazy O_O

Okay, I'll keep a watch and if it seems like anything is going to happen I'll send Missy over to my grandmoms with her sister. That way theres no way she can get pregnant before she gets fixed.

April 25th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Many vets do the surgery at 4 months and some even earlier! Mine were later - 4 mos is late - but studies show the early spay/neuter surgeries and later ones (i.e. when they just over being babies!) - equally safe. I simply preferred the late stage surgery. (and that is 4 months at the very least, sometimes 3 mos.) I worried greatly when my 1st Siamese kitten was due to turn 4 mos and not spayed but she had the surgery in time.

April 25th, 2007, 05:38 PM
It only takes a minute for "something" to happen and I rather doubt you'd be able to stop it. I wouldn't take any chances and send Missy to your grandmom's now until you can get her spayed. Is Holly spayed yet?

April 25th, 2007, 05:40 PM
You know what,it can happen,so instead of questioning how,just keep them separate til they are fixed.....

April 25th, 2007, 05:51 PM
How would a 4 pound kitten smaller then a bag of flour manage to hold any kittens? That just seems crazy O_O

Okay, I'll keep a watch and if it seems like anything is going to happen I'll send Missy over to my grandmoms with her sister. That way theres no way she can get pregnant before she gets fixed.

Tilly is not much bigger than that, and only a month or so older - and she is busy with those 4 babies now.

Do what you can as soon as you can.


April 28th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Late post sorry I've been offline & busy. I'll tell my mom to send missy over there. hollys not spayed yet either and my grandmom takes her to a different vet and all of them around here are saying '6 months' so I'll see what I can do to see if they'll take them earlier.

April 28th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Got Mookie and Squeak from a rescue group at 8 weeks of age and they had already been spayed at 6 weeks. It can be done....risky at 6 weeks of age, but yours are more than old enough now.


April 28th, 2007, 11:30 PM
My kitty boys were done at eight weeks old. It definitely can be done before six months. If nothing else, get the male neutered. But keep the girl indoors 100% of the time so no other cats get to her! Go to the vet and insist.

April 29th, 2007, 12:33 AM
If your vet does not want to spay/neuter before six months or before the appointment, it may be better to find a different vet. It's possible that your vet simply isn't comfortable putting a young animal under anesthesia or that they are not as familiar with the surgery in younger animals. In that case I would rather take my cats to an experienced veterinarian who does many early spay/neuters. Good luck :)

April 29th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Not wanting to start a debate. over here in the UK a vet canot spay or neuter until 6 months old. We tried five different vets and were told the same thing - we contacted the RSPCA and were told they would prosecute any vets found spaying and neutering under 6 months.

I would just seperate them when you are not with them, - seperating them in total could cause anxiety and problems re-introducing them.

Just my forthpenance worth.

I read the forum daily but don't post much as I have found that UK opinions on animals differ completely from overseas.

May 2nd, 2007, 11:54 AM
Our kittens are 12 weeks old now (male and Female) and our vet said at 5 months to fix them. I really want it to be around 4 months. Do I have a say in when they get fixed? I'm heading to the vet Saturday for their vaccinations so I guess I'll book their surgeries then...

May 2nd, 2007, 12:12 PM
Some vets are old school and wait till 6 months.

I adopted my cats at 8 weeks.And that's when they were done.They are 3 and 3 1/2,and they are fine.

Heather,tell your vet that you want them done now.You don't want to wait.You can even mention that you are on a pet site and many of the cat owners had their cats done at 8 weeks.Also mention that many SPCA's have their vets do it at this age before they can be adopted out.;)

There was a 6 month old cat that was at the SPCA who was pregnant.:sad:

May 2nd, 2007, 01:27 PM
On the other hand, Mona, a vet who refuses to neuter early may have no experience in doing them younger, when it is possibly more difficult? Just wondering.
Neuter as soon as it's feasible would be my motto, saving everyone alot of grief.